Turn on thread page Beta

Mourning for pets? watch

ReputationRep:
    One of my cats was ran over 2 days before xmas year before last.
    Still upsets me thinking about her, and can't bring myself to look at pictures or videos without crying.
    I think I get too attached!
    I still wouldn't hold a burial service for a pet or anything, buried in my nan's garden is the furthest i'd go.
    I think its ok to get attached to pets though, they feel like members of the family!
    I'm dreading the day any of my current pets go

ReputationRep:
    I think it becomes a problem IMO when you mourn for your pets death more than you would for your parents.

ReputationRep:
    Having pets is always a worry... I have two rabbits and a couple of goldfish, and although my rabbits are only two and three, I worry about them constantly. I still think of them as being babies, but rabbits don't live all THAT long... 12 years max I think I read? I'm going to be devastated when they die

I even get upset when my goldfish die! We only had one for about a week (Cod) and then he died... the petshop said he might've just been a generally poorly fish so they gave us another one, but I felt really sad. Mind you, I feel sad when I see things like dropped childrens' hats in the street, because I imagine the hat being all cold and lonely... I think I'm too senstive.

ReputationRep:
    My pony died yesterday He was very special to me as he was my first one & basically taught me how to ride properly. I'm really gutted but he was getting old and I had a feeling the time was coming.

As for the mourning, I cried last night and today when he was buried this morning and when I went to feed the other horses & seeing his empty stable. I'll feel pretty blue for the next few weeks but will still get on with life!

ReputationRep:
    You create a bond with a pet...
    Like if I go running or for a walk, I take my dog for company and when she dies I'll miss her... same with my cat, he's always there. They're both part of the family, they've both been around for more than half of my life.
    But when you decide to have a pet, you know you're likely to out live them, unless you get hit by a bus or something, so it won't be a total suprise, but I'll miss my pets so much when they go!

oh and we once bought a catfish for my dad as a joke... he doesn't like cats you see. But the catfish lived for years!!!! about 8 years no word of a lie, and I always used to sit and watch him hiding under the rock, and then one day he died, and I couldn't believe it!

ReputationRep:
    Would you mourn Ken, the 53 year old who raped you 6 year old sister? No.
    Would your morn your Mother with whom you have had a close loving relationship with all your life? Yes.

Therefore you should morn what you love.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also mortified when we lose a pet. We had to have our dog put down a month ago and my entire family (and the vet who came out to do it) were all in tears. Since then, both my sister's rat and Guinea pig have died of old age, so there has been a lot of mourning going on in our household this month.

I doubt I get as upset over a pet as I would a family member, or even a close friend, but I still take a while to recover from it. I don't think there's anything wrong with mourning for them - they're still a living being who you've shared an amount of your life with, so it's only natural to mourn once they've gone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotpot)
    So on the radio the other day they were discussing mourning for deceased pets. A guy was interviewed saying along the lines that its rediculous that we mourn our pets once they are gone and a woman argued the opposite. So whats everyone elses opinion?
    Personally i hate the " we are stewards and must rule over animals, they serve a purpose to us " which seemed to be the guys main view.
    So discuss...
    The great indian sage Sri Ramana Maharshi 1879-1950 confirmed that animals had souls and that they were on the same spiritual path as us ,but just at different stages of development.Ashram animals were treated with great kindness and respect,and when they 'died'were treated with the same dignity and reverence afforded to devotees who 'died'.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, I just read all the comments and they made me cry. This thread is depressing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peace'n'loveman)
    The great indian sage Sri Ramana Maharshi 1879-1950 confirmed that animals had souls and that they were on the same spiritual path as us ,but just at different stages of development.Ashram animals were treated with great kindness and respect,and when they 'died'were treated with the same dignity and reverence afforded to devotees who 'died'.
    Thats really lovely

ReputationRep:
    I think it all depends on how much the person is connected to their pet and how they see them.

my brother couldn't tell his ferrets apart and when they died he wasn't that bothered, whereas I know how all of my mice behave and their individual quirks so if any one of them died I'd really miss her.
    i'll be a total wreck when my dog dies.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who has never had a pet as involved in the family like a dog/cat/parrot etc, will never understand why it hurts so much when they die!

I still miss my dog and parrot

ReputationRep:
    I get pretty bloody grumpy when any of my pets die. That's an understatement.

I won't necessarily mourn them as much as a human, although it depends on the pet, but when something has been a big part of my life and when I have loved that creature, I'll be damned if anyone will make me feel silly for being deeply upset when it dies.

Hell, I even have 30 second funerals for the fish. There's a whole graveyard of them outside. I need to stop adopting the sick ones

I think the newts will outlive all my pets . . . those critters live for about 25 years.

ReputationRep:
    My dog was 14 years old and just out of the blue had a stroke . I cried for ages but I'm back to normal now!

ReputationRep:
    FML. I found out yesterday my dog will have to be put down within the year, when i said the other day i'll be a wreck when he dies I had no idea it would be so soon...... :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz23)
    My pony died yesterday He was very special to me as he was my first one & basically taught me how to ride properly. I'm really gutted but he was getting old and I had a feeling the time was coming.

As for the mourning, I cried last night and today when he was buried this morning and when I went to feed the other horses & seeing his empty stable. I'll feel pretty blue for the next few weeks but will still get on with life!
    :hugs: Horses are really hard to get over, because there is such a bond Sorry to hear about him.

ReputationRep:
    i mourned my pets dying, i cried buckets when tink died, i will admit it got slightly easier with each passing hamster but it still upsets me when i lose one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    FML. I found out yesterday my dog will have to be put down within the year, when i said the other day i'll be a wreck when he dies I had no idea it would be so soon...... :'(
    I'm so sorry My doggy's 9 1/2 years old so I guess she'll have to go sometime... But I KNOW it'll take a looooong time for me to accept it, because she's been... Well, my best friend. I love her so much.

ReputationRep:
    My cat died that I'd had since I was 10 (Im 18) a few weeks ago. I had him since he was a kitten aswell. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I grew up with my cat and when he died I felt a bit sad for maybe a few hours but I had forgotten about it by the next day. It's natural to feel down if you loved your pet, but I think a lot of people are a tad unnecessarily melodramatic. there's no need to go through the whole grieving process as though they were human. Having a funeral would be a bit weird.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.