Turn on thread page Beta

Mourning for pets? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vampyrcorn)
    I grew up with my cat and when he died I felt a bit sad for maybe a few hours but I had forgotten about it by the next day. It's natural to feel down if you loved your pet, but I think a lot of people are a tad unnecessarily melodramatic. there's no need to go through the whole grieving process as though they were human. Having a funeral would be a bit weird.
    Surely if someone goes through the grieving process it's because there is a need? It's not like it's something you choose to do.
    I wouldn't have a funeral for my dog, but I'll definitely take a while to be my normal self afterwards. He may as well be another human being as far as I'm concerned.

ReputationRep:
    I remember when my previous cat died. He was a year and a few months than me so you can imagine I'd also pretty much grown up with him. When I used to walk home from school he'd always be at the end of the close waiting and would walk the rest of the way alongside me - had to be the first in the door mind!

He eventually ended up with a lung tumour, in late 2007, at the age of 17. He lived a good few months after being diagnosed and was spoilt rotten, he had the best last Summer just lying in his favourite spot in the sun. We were going to have to get him put down when he did at one point get really bad but thankfully he just drifted off peacefully one afternoon of his own accord. We didn't hold and funeral or anything - seems a little over the top, we just buried him in the same spot in the sun. I was understandly sad at the time of his death and I feel a little that way writing this but at the same time I look back fondly on the many good years we spent together.

I've had loads of guinea pigs die on me and it's always never pleasant when one of them goes but at the same time I don't usually get emotional. For me there isn't the same attachment or interaction as I would get from a cat or dog.

ReputationRep:
    We got our border collie cross when I was only 3 years old. She lived until I was 16 when she developed a brain tumour and had to be put to sleep . I cried buckets and even now looking at photos of her upset me. She was always there when I was growing up. We have another border collie cross now and she is 2 and a half, I am really dreading the day she goes tbh. In my opinion dogs and cats , especially, arent animals, they are part of the family.

ReputationRep:
    I have two cats; they're sisters and we got them from a rescue centre, after our old cat died exactly two years after we got her from kidney failure. Her previous owners moved house and left her there alone. I've had my two cats now ever since - 1997 - and we got them as kittens. I know I will be upset when they die, and if people think that's sad, so be it, I don't care! Animals become a part of the family. I think it will be more sad when one of them dies because I think they will both be lost without eachother.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My rabbit had to be put down today and I bawled my eyes out when I found out. Yes he may have been just an animal, but that doesn't mean he didn't have a personality of his own and a bond between us. I think it'll hit more when I go home and he's not there for me to pick up and sink my face into his fur even though it makes me sneeze. I think it's justified to be upset about it, but it's different kind of grief as that when one of my friends died. - They're both sorely missed though.

ReputationRep:
    My babygirl budgie, Wonsy, died last night of a stroke. She was a mere 3 years old. Cried my heart out, and still on the verge now. She was my best friend and a brilliant companion, shared a lot together. I am grieving, and probably will for a long time. Pet's arn't just 'pets' they become a part of the family as soon as you introduce them to your home.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.