Turn on thread page Beta

Which Is The Best Out Of These Oxford Colleges? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_thompson)
    is that further maths? and why do u need further mths anyway, u r applying 4 physics, so surely they wud ask u questions on electricity and forces and space and stuff.

i thought differentiation wud be for a maths interview....
    half the course is maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    For Physics it is preferable to have further maths
    really, why is that? but edders doesnt do further maths and he applies 4 physics and got maths questions. r u saying that he has less cahnce of success of in his ox application compared to the majority of physics applciants coz he hasnt got further maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    half the course is maths.
    Bloody mathematicians :rolleyes: always have to be soooooo pushy and precise....but my point is, is that if you are not interested in maths, don't bother with Physics...am I right in saying that Elpaw?

ReputationRep:
    i thought you only needed physics to apply really!

ReputationRep:
    Don't even bother applying for Physics then if you haven't done Maths A level

ReputationRep:
    Bloody mathematicians :rolleyes: always have to be soooooo pushy and precise....but my point is, is that if you are not interested in maths, don't bother with Physics...am I right in saying that Elpaw?
    yes, you are correct. fortunately i like maths.

(Original post by mas... i mean alex _thompson)
    no, the requirement is an A in Physics, an A in Maths, and any other A (not including General Studies)

ReputationRep:
    really, why is that? but edders doesnt do further maths and he applies 4 physics and got maths questions. r u saying that he has less cahnce of success of in his ox application compared to the majority of physics applciants coz he hasnt got further maths?
    Seriously mate....don't worry about uni applications until next year.....maybe think about what you want to do but, don't start considering complexities such as college choice etc.

ReputationRep:
    i just checked out the ox site. for economics (what i am intrested in) it says mathematics and economics to full-alevel is reccommended.

for physics, it says mathematics and physics to fulla-level is essential, further maths at as level or more cna be helpful for some elements of the course......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    yes, you are correct. fortunately i like maths.

no, the requirement is an A in Physics, an A in Maths, and any other A (not including General Studies)
    ehh.......but i thought u needed further maths from what edders was saying and what people said b4.

ReputationRep:
    And I got loads of maths questions in my Geology interview - in fact more physics and chemistry were included than geology!

ReputationRep:
    ehh.......but i thought u needed further maths from what edders was saying and what people said b4.
    You don't actually need further maths for physics at oxford (my cousin knows people at wadham who didn't do it), but be warned, at wadham college at least, the further maths syllabus is covered in 2 weeks. Maths is a huge part of the course, so much so, i believe, that you actually have to do separate maths exams as well as physics papers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    what were you thinking, boy? you shouldnae have gone out drinking so much.
    lol my mind just went blank... i realised the answer when walking down the corridor after the interview lol.
    and youve got it wrong
    its minus 2x sin(x^2+1)/cos(x^2+1)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    You don't actually need further maths for physics at oxford (my cousin knows people at wadham who didn't do it), but be warned, at wadham college at least, the further maths syllabus is covered in 2 weeks. Maths is a huge part of the course, so much so, i believe, that you actually have to do separate maths exams as well as physics papers
    sounds like a crap degree then, i mean, u might aswell just do a maths degree.

ReputationRep:
    we've already discussed this maskall... you dont need it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    we've already discussed this maskall... you dont need it
    ohh, u dont need further maths? then why is it that nealry all the applicants who apply have further maths then?

as i said, if u get rejected it will b coz u dont have further maths, u wasnt even able to attempt 2 of the questions bcoz of it. its a sahme, but u will be disadvantaged.

i mean, if they r deciding between 2 people and its a very tough decision, but one has further maths, they will pick the 1 with further maths anyday.

ReputationRep:
    Brasenose..not academic?????!!!!
    OK... perhaps to say it is 'not academic' is wrong. All I mean to say is that it is not up there with the likes of Merton, St. Johns, Balliol etc... at least that was not my impression of the college.

ReputationRep:
    sounds like a crap degree then, i mean, u might aswell just do a maths degree.

Depends on your definition of 'crap', doesn't it? :rolleyes:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.