The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
alex_thompson
is that further maths? and why do u need further mths anyway, u r applying 4 physics, so surely they wud ask u questions on electricity and forces and space and stuff.

i thought differentiation wud be for a maths interview....

half the course is maths.
Reply 21
Blamps
For Physics it is preferable to have further maths

really, why is that? but edders doesnt do further maths and he applies 4 physics and got maths questions. r u saying that he has less cahnce of success of in his ox application compared to the majority of physics applciants coz he hasnt got further maths?
Reply 22
elpaw
half the course is maths.

Bloody mathematicians :rolleyes: always have to be soooooo pushy and precise....but my point is, is that if you are not interested in maths, don't bother with Physics...am I right in saying that Elpaw?
Reply 23
i thought you only needed physics to apply really!
Reply 24
alex_thompson

Don't even bother applying for Physics then if you haven't done Maths A level
Reply 25
Blamps
Bloody mathematicians :rolleyes: always have to be soooooo pushy and precise....but my point is, is that if you are not interested in maths, don't bother with Physics...am I right in saying that Elpaw?

yes, you are correct. fortunately i like maths.

mas... i mean alex _thompson

no, the requirement is an A in Physics, an A in Maths, and any other A (not including General Studies)
Reply 26
alex_thompson
really, why is that? but edders doesnt do further maths and he applies 4 physics and got maths questions. r u saying that he has less cahnce of success of in his ox application compared to the majority of physics applciants coz he hasnt got further maths?

Seriously mate....don't worry about uni applications until next year.....maybe think about what you want to do but, don't start considering complexities such as college choice etc.
Reply 27
alex_thompson

i just checked out the ox site. for economics (what i am intrested in) it says mathematics and economics to full-alevel is reccommended.

for physics, it says mathematics and physics to fulla-level is essential, further maths at as level or more cna be helpful for some elements of the course......
Reply 28
elpaw
yes, you are correct. fortunately i like maths.

no, the requirement is an A in Physics, an A in Maths, and any other A (not including General Studies)

ehh.......but i thought u needed further maths from what edders was saying and what people said b4.
Reply 29
And I got loads of maths questions in my Geology interview - in fact more physics and chemistry were included than geology!
Reply 30
alex_thompson
ehh.......but i thought u needed further maths from what edders was saying and what people said b4.

You don't actually need further maths for physics at oxford (my cousin knows people at wadham who didn't do it), but be warned, at wadham college at least, the further maths syllabus is covered in 2 weeks. Maths is a huge part of the course, so much so, i believe, that you actually have to do separate maths exams as well as physics papers
Reply 31
elpaw

what were you thinking, boy? you shouldnae have gone out drinking so much.

lol my mind just went blank... i realised the answer when walking down the corridor after the interview lol.
and youve got it wrong :tongue:
its minus 2x sin(x^2+1)/cos(x^2+1)
Reply 32
Minta
You don't actually need further maths for physics at oxford (my cousin knows people at wadham who didn't do it), but be warned, at wadham college at least, the further maths syllabus is covered in 2 weeks. Maths is a huge part of the course, so much so, i believe, that you actually have to do separate maths exams as well as physics papers

sounds like a crap degree then, i mean, u might aswell just do a maths degree.
Reply 33
alex_thompson

we've already discussed this maskall... you dont need it
Reply 34
edders
we've already discussed this maskall... you dont need it

ohh, u dont need further maths? then why is it that nealry all the applicants who apply have further maths then?

as i said, if u get rejected it will b coz u dont have further maths, u wasnt even able to attempt 2 of the questions bcoz of it. its a sahme, but u will be disadvantaged.

i mean, if they r deciding between 2 people and its a very tough decision, but one has further maths, they will pick the 1 with further maths anyday.
Reply 35
Blamps
Brasenose..not academic?????!!!!

OK... perhaps to say it is 'not academic' is wrong. All I mean to say is that it is not up there with the likes of Merton, St. Johns, Balliol etc... at least that was not my impression of the college.
Reply 36
alex_thompson
sounds like a crap degree then, i mean, u might aswell just do a maths degree.

Depends on your definition of 'crap', doesn't it? :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending