Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Tescos interview! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What's it like, is it a group interview? Jobs for my tesco were advertised on the jobcentre website as there's a tempory one down the road from me at the moment, but the proper big one is opening in March, I applied as did TONS of other people and I have a interview today (16th) but on the jobcentre site it said interviews start on the 11th so would this mean their one to one, or just so many people that they've done loads of groups?

Just want to know what to expect really!! Super duper want this job. Also I currently work at McHell- McDonalds, do you think this would affect my chances of getting a job, looking to leave there but would they see it as an advantage or disadvange?

Advantage as in I've been working and not on the dole/have good customer service knowledge etc or an disadvantage because they'd want to give someone who already hasn't got a job the chance to work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elmiee)
    What's it like, is it a group interview? Jobs for my tesco were advertised on the jobcentre website as there's a tempory one down the road from me at the moment, but the proper big one is opening in March, I applied as did TONS of other people and I have a interview today (16th) but on the jobcentre site it said interviews start on the 11th so would this mean their one to one, or just so many people that they've done loads of groups?

Just want to know what to expect really!! Super duper want this job. Also I currently work at McHell- McDonalds, do you think this would affect my chances of getting a job, looking to leave there but would they see it as an advantage or disadvange?

Advantage as in I've been working and not on the dole/have good customer service knowledge etc or an disadvantage because they'd want to give someone who already hasn't got a job the chance to work?
    I was in Tesco for 2 years. They would prefer someone with current job & customer service experience, they don't care about giving people the chance to work, or how fortunate they are. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Tesco is the place to be. I get £10 an hour on a Sunday and my hourly rate is £6.66. Although I did join three years ago and I think they've changed the Sunday premium since then...

My interview was one-to-one where I was asked fairly basic questions such as demonstrate when you have worked well in a team before and why do you want to work for Tesco. Be prepared to answer questions like these.

After my interview I got a call the day after inviting me back in for a work sample. The sample was one hours work within my department (stock control) where I was trained in my job role and had an informal chat with the manager. Again, one day later I got a call from the person who interviewed me and said that my work sample went well and that she had been asked to offer me the job.

I got the impression that from the work sample onwards I had already secured the job. In the interview we discussed my college timetable and what hours would work for me, so even then I kinda thought I had got the job. Once you're invited to interview I think you stand a good chance; just relax, answer honestly and be yourself.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I am concerned I applied through the jobcentre for checkout operator position. Then went for a group interview at the jobcentre. We were 10 on that particular day. But the day before they interviewed 10 other ppl as well. Just did the Tesco personnality test and answer 2 questions about customer service. At the end of the day 2 persons got dismissed. Then went for an interview at the store. Group interview once again. About 60 persons there divided into 4-5 groups of approx. 12-15 persons. The HR manager asked us 3 questions
    What is good customer service
    What is reliability and another one that I cant remember. While we were talking she was taking notes.
    After that 1-1 interview and she asked one single question: why you?
    Then she went trough my application and availability. She told me about the induction day etc and said she would call me if Im successful. 10 days later she called me with the hours and I started the next day. It was a temporary position but when my contract ended they asked me to stay on.
    If u dont hav much experience just show that u hav a great personality cuz at the time I applied I only had 6 months waitressing experience in a 4 star hotel. There was a guy who worked at Tesco previously but he didnt go through and also a woman working on checkouts at Somerfield but she didnt go through as well.

ReputationRep:
    if you are successful how long does it take for them to get back to you. Plus if you're applying for stock control then what kind of questions will they be asking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha5)
    if you are successful how long does it take for them to get back to you. Plus if you're applying for stock control then what kind of questions will they be asking
    I got a letter in the post 4 days after my interview to let me know that I had been successful. I was told they asked everyone the same 5 questions to keep in fair across the board, however that could have been just at that particular store as it was not open yet.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 15, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.