Turn on thread page Beta

Girls and self delusion watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do girls self delude?
    I am a guy and i think so!
    37.72%
    I am a guy and i disagree.
    7.02%
    I am a girl and i think so!
    35.96%
    I am a girl and disagree.
    7.89%
    I have no opinion / i don't give a damn / you sexist misogynist pig etc etc
    11.40%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)
    lovely advice in your profile btw :yes: what type of girls are you a fan of? :holmes:
    Oh thanks, wrote that a long time ago I think! Just what I'd learnt from my lifetime eh?

I like confident girls who have a realistic idea of who they are, what they want and how they come across. Low self esteem, hypersensitivity, lack of intelligence and melodramatic tendencies annoy me, I must say!
    Why can't more girls just be more chilled out and self-assured?
    Life's better that way!

(Original post by Hayleyboop(:)
    I agree with you, I know a lot of girls like that. And also some similar to what your friend described. Although I think the depreciative attitude is more common, watch any of Gok Wan's programmes for evidence :rolleyes:
    Would you venture so far as saying there is a clear divide, or that some do both?

And where would you put yourself :p:

(Original post by GdotL)
    Oh thanks, wrote that a long time ago I think! Just what I'd learnt from my lifetime eh?

I like confident girls who have a realistic idea of who they are, what they want and how they come across. Low self esteem, hypersensitivity, lack of intelligence and melodramatic tendencies annoy me, I must say!
    Life's better that way!
    Most girls seem to be of the low self esteem, hypersensitivity, lack of intelligence (debateable) and melodramatic kind though :holmes:

What you seem to be suggesting is that girls turn into guys? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GdotL)

Life's better that way!
    i must say, you have lovely taste in girls!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GdotL)
    Self delusion is just terrible. Why are people unable to have a realistic image of themselves?
    I'm not a fan of these type of girls at all tbh.

Because they can't? People can tell you the same things everyday, but if you don't believe it you just don't. I don't think you could say it's their fault, I don't know, it's really strange. As much as you're told you're beautiful if you can't believe it you can't. I think it's linked to your personality really, if you're a jealous person then you'll always see someone skinnier than you, or prettier, or taller or whatever, and then it's like this self-depreciative cycle of not looking as good as her, therefore not looking good at all.

And then it's all cyclical, and goes on and on and pisses off everyone else who tells you the opposite, who just doesn't get why you're so obsessive.

Meh I'm explaining it totally ****, I just think that's a naive question. You'd probably hate me irl. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    or approval seeking because they like swim with the fish in the sea of compliments
    thanks for explaining my point further :p:

(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Because they can't? People can tell you the same things everyday, but if you don't believe it you just don't. I don't think you could say it's their fault, I don't know, it's really strange. As much as you're told you're beautiful if you can't believe it you can't. I think it's linked to your personality really, if you're a jealous person then you'll always see someone skinnier than you, or prettier, or taller or whatever, and then it's like this self-depreciative cycle of not looking as good as her, therefore not looking good at all.

And then it's all cyclical, and goes on and on and pisses off everyone else who tells you the opposite, who just doesn't get why you're so obsessive.

Meh I'm explaining it totally ****, I just think that's a naive question. You'd probably hate me irl. :rolleyes:
    This phenomenom seems to be rare among guys, who generally accept if they're ugly or beautiful and exploit it or play to their strenghts instead of obsessing. :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)

Most girls seem to be of the low self esteem, hypersensitivity, lack of intelligence (debateable) and melodramatic kind though :holmes:

What you seem to be suggesting is that girls turn into guys? :p:
    That's why lots of guys appear as cooler people than girls probably

So you really think most girls have those qualities? Do you find them attractive?

ReputationRep:
    This phenomenom seems to be rare among guys, who generally accept if they're ugly or beautiful and exploit it or play to their strenghts instead of obsessing. :unsure:
    girls are strange creatures.

I do know some guys who do this too though.

ReputationRep:
    I genuinely cannot see myself objectively. I don't know if I'm intelligent, stupid, pretty, ugly, fat, thin, nice, *****y, loved or hated. My opinion of myself depends purely on my mood/confidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)
    i must say, you have lovely taste in girls!
    Hah, if you really think that, you'd like me

(Original post by GdotL)
    That's why lots of guys appear as cooler people than girls probably

So you really think most girls have those qualities? Do you find them attractive?
    I don't really know and i'm not making any grand claims.

To your second question; sure, if they have other redeeming qualities :p: I accept that not everyone will think coldy logically, but as long as they aren't total nutcases Although i myself try to be coldly logical (without putting emotion into my decisions), but i imagine constantly being around someone else who did that would become quite a bore :p:

(Original post by Aula)
    I do know some guys who do this too though.
    Would you be willing to venture an estimate of how many guys, you think, in general, do this?

ReputationRep:
    Probably. :moon: :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)

Ah, well thanks for trying to explain it though! I agree, it's most likely to be linked to personality and your general ability to be content or whether you constantly strive for more/perfection.
    Lol course I wouldn't hate you, you're from the endz after all

The thing which I have noticed though is that people who do this very often have little to worry about and are actually attractive, intelligent people (possibly you??! hah) who don't make the most of themselves because they're always worrying about how they are perceived by others or how they compare to others. Quite a shame really :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    To your second question; sure, if they have other redeeming qualities :p: I accept that not everyone will think coldy logically, but as long as they aren't total nutcases Although i myself try to be coldly logical (without putting emotion into my decisions), but i imagine constantly being around someone else who did that would become quite a bore :p:
    Translation: I'd do anything, with or without a pulse; why oh why does nobody want to sleep with me? :moon:

(Original post by GdotL)
    Translation: I'd do anything, with or without a pulse; why oh why does nobody want to sleep with me? :moon:

Pulses are a no go area for me, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Girls are very good at self-deprecating but at the same time the girls who are hot know they are hot and how to use this advantage to manipulate the world and acquire popularity and friendship.

A lot of girls often talk about themselves being "chubby" and "stupid" etc. Though really girls hold a higher opinion of themselves. I don't know why they do it.

ReputationRep:
    Should have done public vote.

ReputationRep:
    Pulses are a no go area for me, sorry.
    As suspected.
    We may have just identified where you're going wrong. Pulses ftw!

(Original post by GdotL)
    As suspected.
    We may have just identified where you're going wrong. Pulses ftw!

Oh hah hah

You're mean :emo:

And unless friendly is a euphemism for "my vagina opens to everybody" your profile lies

ReputationRep:
    Oh hah hah

You're mean :emo:
    To be fair, you're the one who said you didn't like pulses, which, let's be honest, is pretty abnormal, socially frowned upon and potentially a sign of mental instability.
    So tis not my fault!

BUT, luckily for you, I'm not actually mean so you can get a good night's sleep without worrying about cyberbullying on a student forum.

For tonight.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.