Turn on thread page Beta

Nick Griffin on Haiti watch

• View Poll Results: Should UK give aid to Haiti or not?
    Yes
    79.38%
    No
    20.62%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Charities is not the government
    You need a fixed address for a job
    Benefits are useless because you have no way of getting a home from them
    Homeless don't get council houses but teenagers who **** like rabbits do
    So yeah, what do you know?
    Right, I've made my argument and it's a decent one that still stands. Yes, any homeless British person can and will eventually get a council home. Benefits are still more than what any Haitian would dream of getting. Some charities are public services funded by the government (besides whether it's the government or not, our homeless still benefit from it). You didn't say anything about the homeless shelters or the support units provided by the government for our homeless... or the fact that our homeless can get a job if they try hard enough. Many unskilled jobs about in Haiti? Doubt it.

Your argument that we should be helping our own before the Haitians is void because our homeless do receive a lot of support from the government. We do spend most of our GDP on supporting our own social security. Why not spend the surplus (extra money) we have on supporting those whose lives have been absolutely devastated? Also, £6 million is fractional in comparison to our GDP.

Nationality means nothing to me. We're all humans, we're all from the same piece of rock. Have a heart, you pr*ck.

ReputationRep:
    Some of the views expressed in this thread really make me lose faith in humanity, bickering over the sum of £6 million, a near nothing in modern Britain, yet people still feel the need to attack the justification for sending it to a country in disarray and without the means to provide basic services for citizens. With frivolous consumerism a prevalent norm in Britain, complaining about the aforementioned is, pathetic.

(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Charity begins at home.

And yeah it's a tragedy but let's not pretend Haiti was anything but a dump before hand.

We should help people in our country before we look abroad. I'd rather the money went to fix the NHS/our school, then Haitians.

Obviously send some aid workers or things they need, but seriously we have enough debt already.

I don't get the obsession with helping abroad, let's say you had £10,000, would you give it to a homeless person with nothing to do with you, or to your actual brother who needed it equally? Hmmm, tough one..

Although that comment by Nick is retarded; you can't compare the (small) number of people who are dying from the cold here to the numbers in Haiti.
    Do you agree with the UK (and other nations) giving aid to Palestine ? One could argue that it is also a dump.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g_star_raw_1989)
    Do you agree with the UK (and other nations) giving aid to Palestine ? One could argue that it is also a dump.

I've already answered this. Read the thread.

ReputationRep:
    I have a hypothetical question for you all:

Suppose that Britain gets hit by a natural disaster (tsunami, earthquake... you choose). We're in an absolute state, and desperately in need of aid.

Which countries do you honestly reckon would show the slightest interest in helping us?

(Original post by Tetrahydro)
    Right, I've made my argument and it's a decent one that still stands. Yes, any homeless British person can and will eventually get a council home. Benefits are still more than what any Haitian would dream of getting. Some charities are public services funded by the government (besides whether it's the government or not, our homeless still benefit from it). You didn't say anything about the homeless shelters or the support units provided by the government for our homeless... or the fact that our homeless can get a job if they try hard enough. Many unskilled jobs about in Haiti? Doubt it.

Your argument that we should be helping our own before the Haitians is void because our homeless do receive a lot of support from the government. We do spend most of our GDP on supporting our own social security. Why not spend the surplus (extra money) we have on supporting those whose lives have been absolutely devastated?

Nationality means nothing to me. We're all humans, we're all from the same piece of rock. Have a heart, you pr*ck.
    Stopped reading there because you obviously are un-educated in the fact that they don't.

Go be homeless, see what you get from your government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inzamam99)
    Mate, no offense but there's pretty much no one in "serious poverty" here in Britain. There's the homeless and unemployed, half of whom are too lazy to get a job and even they in almost every circumstance find enough to live on.
    Whaaat? Homeless people are too lazy to get a job? Are you really that ignorant?

(Original post by xkatx_sb)

Suppose that Britain gets hit by a natural disaster (tsunami, earthquake... you choose). We're in an absolute state, and desperately in need of aid.

Which countries do you honestly reckon would show the slightest interest in helping us?
    US, Canada, Australia and Europe.

But I wouldn't expect them too, I would expect us to sort it out ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    Stopped reading there because you obviously are un-educated in the fact that they don't.

Go be homeless, see what you get from your government.
    Lol, it's a fact that a homeless person here can and will eventually get a council home. Either way, shelter is always available to them.

You really cannot debate, and you're not even responding to any of my arguments... What's the point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xkatx_sb)

Apart from almost every western democracy and China and Russia?

ReputationRep:
    its an interesting point but we probably should be helping the haitians.

ReputationRep:
    US, Canada, Australia and Europe.

But I wouldn't expect them too, I would expect us to sort it out ourselves.
    Oh I'm not saying I would expect anyone to help. I'm more considering this along the lines of everyone expects us to help, but realistically, would anyone help us?

And I reckon your suggestion of USA, Canada, Australia and Europe is far too optimistic.

Lol, it's a fact that a homeless person here can and will eventually get a council home. Either way, shelter is always available to them.

You really cannot debate, and you're not even responding to any of my arguments... What's the point?
    Because your arguments are rubbish, homeless people do not get council homes. You need money to get one, which the homeless do not have.

Your idea of a debate is "how much ******** can I speak?"

You are winning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Your post seems to imply that the Balfour declaration being British engineered (something which I do not deny) means that Palestine is somehow "more deserving" of aid than Haiti. Not only is this logic ******* dodgy at best but one must also consider Haiti has been the subject of numerous foreign enforced conquests and was under a prolonged period of isolation governed by a dictatorial family with large amounts of western backing. I could sit there and tell you Palestine harbors terrorists and is governed by a terrorist group therefore should not be deserving of aid if a natural disaster was to occur, whilst I dont necessarily agree with the notion its still a valid argument. A countries political or social woes should not be the measurement upon which countries choose to target assistance. I hardly consider £6m a huge figure and seems rather appropriate for the situation at hand.

You're not five anymore, and you are well aware that governments have budgets. Funds and resources are allocated appropriately.
    No I wasn't, I was merely saying that in Palestine Britain had a role in history, something which largely contributes to how they are now. Haiti doesn't even have this. If anything it should be the French paying for them.

Haiti have had loads of chances to fix up and failed - the US provided billions to help improve its judicial system, look how that failed. Their idea of justice is burning you on the street. They still believe in Voodoo, look at that journalist who was murdered a few years ago. This is all irrelevant though.

(Original post by

xkatx_sb
    )

Oh I'm not saying I would expect anyone to help. I'm more considering this along the lines of everyone expects us to help, but realistically, would anyone help us?

And I reckon your suggestion of USA, Canada, Australia and Europe is far too optimistic.
    The US would because they always do, they gave us loans at the end of WW2.

Canada has our monarch as head of state, so would help, same with Australia.

The EU always helps countries within it who are in need, so they would.

ReputationRep:
    Who'd like to help me with my Lesbian Aid to Haiti Fundraiser? It'll be fun.

ReputationRep:

Your argument that we should be helping our own before the Haitians is void because our homeless do receive a lot of support from the government. We do spend most of our GDP on supporting our own social security. Why not spend the surplus (extra money) we have on supporting those whose lives have been absolutely devastated? Also, £6 million is fractional in comparison to our GDP.

Don't speak about something you know nothing about.

ReputationRep:
    I have lost my faith in humanity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    No I wasn't, I was merely saying that in Palestine Britain had a role in history, something which largely contributes to how they are now. Haiti doesn't even have this. If anything it should be the French paying for them.

Haiti have had loads of chances to fix up and failed - the US provided billions to help improve its judicial system, look how that failed. Their idea of justice is burning you on the street. They still believe in Voodoo, look at that journalist who was murdered a few years ago. This is all irrelevant though.
    Well, in the West they still believe in Jesus and a lot of other old tosh. Is voodoo any more absurd?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownpleasures)
    I have lost my faith in humanity.
    My loss is greater for I have lost my faith and humanity.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.