Turn on thread page Beta

Nick Griffin on Haiti watch

• View Poll Results: Should UK give aid to Haiti or not?
    Yes
    79.38%
    No
    20.62%

(Original post by vroom9)
    You are a fool if you really think that Griffin gives two ***** about homeless people.
    I'm not defending Griffin I'm defending the people in this country who are in need right now.

ReputationRep:
    Balls! I accidentally voted wrong in the poll. I thought clicking 'No' would mean I disagreed with Griffin's opinion, which I do. I look like a right tit now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    We have the second biggest debt of all the countries in the world.

Who uses false claims aswell?
    we may have the second highest debt but percentage wise compared to our GDP it is quite low

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    What? He abuses our right to free speech by exercising free speech? Having an unusual or offensive opinion, and vocalising that opinion, is not abusing free speech.

If you respected free speech you'd respect his right to say whatever he wants.
    I stand corrected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by De Chirico)
    Yet again Nick Griffin abuses our right to free speech with his outrageous opinions. The only part of this catastrophe that I have enjoyed hearing about is the combined aid efforts of the international community, with people of all backgrounds working together to preserve the most valuable thing of all, human life. If only this were always the case.
    Being offensive is not an 'abuse' of free speech. Free speech is specifically intended to protect retards like Griffin. Being an outrageous troll like Griffin is is the highest affirmation of freedom of speech imo. Yes, he's a moron, but that has everything to do with him actually being a moron, and sod all to do with deficiencies in freedom of speech.

Freedom for speech that you agree with is not freedom of speech at all.

(Original post by loki276)
    we may have the second highest debt but percentage wise compared to our GDP it is quite low
    No we are still in the top quarter, 50% is not low.

ReputationRep:
    No we are still in the top quarter, 50% is not low.
    it is compared to the G8

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8415703.stm

also once the recovery is complete UK will make a lot of profit on those bank shares that it currently owns

ReputationRep:
    We should help people in our country before we look abroad. I'd rather the money went to fix the NHS/our school, then Haitians.
    At least we have schools and the NHS. We do pay money to this country anyway through taxes (A LOT more than people are donating to Haiti)

Also Griffin's an idiot, of course if it's not our country he doesn't give a damn, just spinning it around to get more votes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rananagirl)
    Argh.
    Somebody stab Nick Griffin. In the eye. With an unattractively rusty knife. Please

He uses false figures to paint negative pictures of people and paper thinly mask extreme racism.

Yes, aid is damn hard to give, but we're a bloody rich country.
    EDIT: And recession resmeschion, we're still living like kings and queens.
    no. no. no.

The QUEEN lives like a queen, in palaces and with fortunes, saudi princes live like princes in palaces with servants.

I(including family) live like a normal person on a slightly above average salary

Don't use expressions like kings and queens when royalty = palaces and wealth, the normal person over here is wealthy in comparrison but we are not rich and our country is billions in debt, so being that far in the red is that rich to you?

The worlds distribution of wealth is a zero sum game, to be wealthy someone has to be poor, developing countries can only become wealthier by making developed countries proportionately less wealthy.

We should cut all foreign aid and pay as much of our national debt as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueshoes123)
    At least we have schools and the NHS. We do pay money to this country anyway through taxes.

Also Griffin's an idiot, of course if it's not our country he doesn't give a damn.

Why is it our duty to fix Haiti then? A country known for bloody coups, instability, recklessness, poverty and if I recall voodoo?

Why is it Britain's problem?

It's not even us who colonised them, if anyone it should be the French trying to fix them. We have enough problems of our own.

We may have schools and the NHS but they have problems and they're not good enough - there are slum schools and bad hospitals, and while these remain, I think they're far more pertinent issues then Haiti.

ReputationRep:
    Your quite clearly are a fool, here it costs 10 times more for anything there than it does there, therefore the homeless and people in serious poverty here are in the same situation.

And it is just common sense to use your own countries money on your own countries people first.
    Which is what is done - the host country attempt to accomodate for the host population first, UK included. You really think the government have only about £6 million for public spending for the whole of the UK? While the impoverished people you do speak of are indeed a needy cause...it's not as if they are disregarded - some of the public spending is used annually to try and alleviate such issues. Furthermore, poverty isn't necessarily alleviated by just chucking money at it anyway, it is a plethora of social problems.

What we do know is that the £6 million contribution WILL save lives. Many in Haiti have lost everything, and you can't really deny this is a very deserving cause, despite your supposed "priorities". Think of it this way, your personal priority may have been for you to receive the £6 mill yourself, but it isn't up to you to make the decision - it's a majority decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libtolu)
    no. no. no.

The QUEEN lives like a queen, in palaces and with fortunes, saudi princes live like princes in palaces with servants.

I(including family) live like a normal person on a slightly above average salary

Don't use expressions like kings and queens when royalty = palaces and wealth, the normal person over here is wealthy in comparrison but we are not rich and our country is billions in debt, so being that far in the red is that rich to you?

The worlds distribution of wealth is a zero sum game, to be wealthy someone has to be poor, developing countries can only become wealthier by making developed countries proportionately less wealthy.

We should cut all foreign aid and pay as much of our national debt as possible.
    our debt will get reduced by a lot once we finally recover from the recession

ReputationRep:
    We have the second biggest debt of all the countries in the world.

Who uses false claims aswell?
    You, evidently.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it our duty to fix Haiti then? A country known for bloody coups, instability, recklessness, poverty and if I recall voodoo?

Why is it Britain's problem?

It's not even us who colonised them, if anyone it should be the French trying to fix them. We have enough problems of our own.

We may have schools and the NHS but they have problems and they're not good enough - there are slum schools and bad hospitals, and while these remain, I think they're far more pertinent issues then Haiti.
    Read this to see why it is our problem
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-haitis-plight

(Original post by loki276)
    it is compared to the G8

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8415703.stm

also once the recovery is complete UK will make a lot of profit on those bank shares that it currently owns
    Still... we are in the top 25% yet expected to dish out money whenever another country has a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Charity begins at home.

And yeah it's a tragedy but let's not pretend Haiti was anything but a dump before hand.

We should help people in our country before we look abroad. I'd rather the money went to fix the NHS/our school, then Haitians.

Obviously send some aid workers or things they need, but seriously we have enough debt already.

I don't get the obsession with helping abroad, let's say you had £10,000, would you give it to a homeless person with nothing to do with you, or to your actual brother who needed it equally? Hmmm, tough one..

Although that comment by Nick is retarded; you can't compare the (small) number of people who are dying from the cold here to the numbers in Haiti.
    I'm sorry but I don't see young British kids running around screaming that there mother has died due to a collapsing building. The homeless people of this nation are either a)drug users or b) alcohol dependant... I'm not saying that all are, of course not, some have genuine reasons but there is help available for them.
    Yeah Haiti might have been a "dump", but there are STILL human beings that live there, and for the normal descent person that is all that matters, and we should help.

Britian will be out of the rescession within a couple of years give or take, we aren't going to be like this forever... and no we are not on the verge of bankruptcy, stop reading The Sun and the Daily Fail.
    Our economy is very slowly (and yes it might be extremly slow) but its rising none the less. Haiti however, well... as you said it was a dump, so we, being "privalliged" people should help them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vroom9)
    You are a fool if you really think that Griffin gives two ***** about homeless people.
    we don't agree with what that **** said, it's not a good comparison but we do not think that when our country is in huge debt, has massive unemployment(benefits need ot be paid) and some people without homes or struggling to keep their homes that we should give away 6 mil which could be used for the benefit of britons.

Send rescue helpers and the army to help but giving them money isn't the answer when we still have problems at home(whether they are proportionate or not).

(Original post by Carl)
    You, evidently.
    Thats by percentage of GDP not total amount.

Though having looked different places say different things which is rather weird, but we are in the top 6.

ReputationRep:
    IRL troll.

ReputationRep:
    Still... we are in the top 25% yet expected to dish out money whenever another country has a problem.
    If Britain had a massive earthquake we would get help as well that's how it works. People help others

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.