Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nick Griffin on Haiti Watch

• View Poll Results: Should UK give aid to Haiti or not?
    Yes
    79.38%
    No
    20.62%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Palestine has had plenty of chances to fix and its failed. I mean, what the ****? In the last ten years or so there have been over a thousand murders of independent reporters and investigators, why should this even be mentioned? What, should charitable donations only come from those countries respective former colonial masters? In that case shouldnt Palestine kiss goodbye to the good will it recieves from a plethora countries.

Judicial reform is rather hard to come by when your country is still in social and political turmoil. Your comment on Haitians believing in Voodoo simply suggests to me how ******* primitive you are, what the hell does their religion have to do with anything.

I don't know why you're obsessing about Palestine. I already said it should be treated in largely the same way I think Haiti should be treated so stop with your moot point already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshyEls)
    This country isn't perfect, but right now Haiti is in immediate need. Saving lives comes above even basic things like education in my opinion.

Correct. It is totally unfair that I'm sitting here in relative luxury compared to most of the world. I try not to be a complete ******* by at least supporting charities and doing volunteer work. The right call that "liberal guilt" don't they?
    Haiti is not the only nation in immediate need right now, it is just the most popular one to donate to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    The effects of the recession are barely noticeable? I don't know what lifestyle you lead, but it would seem to me that you are ignorant to the struggles of the working class at the best of times, let along at the back end of the worst economic collapse for who knows how long.

I would quite honestly be unsurprised if the amount of people who have had their house repossessed, committed suicide, or died in the cold as a result of their poverty in the recession matches the number of dead in Haiti.
    The death toll in Haiti is estimated at 200,000 right now... especially in proportion to their population, I can imagine that vastly outnumbers the amount who have directly or indirectly lost their lives to the recession... One must also consider the knock-on effect the disaster has had on Port-au-Prince's surviving population... Absolute devastation: the recession is dwarfed in comparison.

I live in a council flat in a working class town btw. This plight you speak of is something I just have not noticed or even heard about.

I never said that the loss of £6mill would put us in an unsustainable position. But if we gave a proportional amount in aid to EVERY natural disaster that occurred (and they occur weekly to varying magnitudes), then that WOULD be an unsustainable practice.
    Actually it wouldn't be. If we cut back on certain expenditures (such as defence), we could more than afford to give a proportional amount of aid to every natural disaster. A proportional amount, given that the standard set is £6 million given to a disaster that has terribly affected millions and killed more than 200,000...

The best practice is to give when the going is good, and save when the going is bad. Otherwise you're faced with the decision of 'which disaster should I give aid to?'.
    In contrast to earlier times, perhaps you could argue that the "going is bad" here. But, in comparison to most places on earth at any point in history, the going is most certainly good here.

But you're right, we have given in to media pressure and the amount of aid given is disproportionate to the amount of aid we give to other disasters. However, contrary to another point of yours, this pressure has definitely rendered us into an obligation to give this aid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    Haiti is not the only nation in immediate need right now, it is just the most popular one to donate to.
    Agreed. What point are you trying to make? It sound like you are arguing we should be giving more not less. Or are you trying to say if you can't solve every crisis you shouldn't help anyone? If that is your point it is ridiculous. If there were 10 children drowning in a lake you wouldn't avoid trying to save any of them because you couldn't save them all.

ReputationRep:
    The people complaining about the "lack of british aid for british people" are idiotic and small minded scum. This country sinks billions into social benefit schemes to aid those who are unfortunate. Homelessness extends far beyond simply not affording to live in a home, drug abuse and prostitution has often been the cause for people turning to the streets and in many cases there are appropriate avenues for them to seek if they need help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshyEls)
    Agreed. What point are you trying to make? It sound like you are arguing we should be giving more not less. Or are you trying to say if you can't solve every crisis you shouldn't help anyone? If that is your point it is ridiculous. If there were 10 children drowning in a lake you wouldn't avoid trying to save any of them because you couldn't save them all.
    The point is everyone makes out we have a responsibility due to how well off we are, well if that is the case we owe a responsibility to everyone. Then we tend to forget we really have a responsibility to ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    I don't know why you're obsessing about Palestine. I already said it should be treated in largely the same way I think Haiti should be treated so stop with your moot point already.
    :rolleyes:

I have no obsessive interest in Palestine merely implying the shocking irony of your statement, you should know better than to make silly comments about countries in turmoil having had "plenty" of chances to fix up. What the hell do you know? No nation is prefect and there are many cases of governments having failed to capitalize on opportunities to improve social well-being, so what? The fact that you even mentioned the religious persuasion of the population irritated me immensely.

ReputationRep:
    wow, some of the views in this thread are actually really depressing, i never realised that so many people would begrudge hundreds of thousands of people who have just lost everything , including loved ones a measley 6 million pounds

ReputationRep:
    As much as i disagree with him, how much do you really think the likes of gordon brown, obama and anybody else who says "let's send help" really believe in it?

If GB or obama didn't give aid, the response towards nick griffin would be shown towards them.

At the end of the day, when leaders say "we must give aid", it's more to save their own skin because they're seen as the good guys of politics. Giving aid comes after

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt^)
    wow, some of the views in this thread are actually really depressing, i never realised that so many people would begrudge hundreds of thousands of people who have just lost everything , including loved ones a measley 6 million pounds
    Pretty much my thoughts.

If the UK was seriously ever hit by a natural disaster (I know it won't be but if we were...), would we all be okay with receiving no aid (both financial and non-financial) from other countries? So we'd all be okay, suffering alone with no international help? Ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    As much as i disagree with him, how much do you really think the likes of gordon brown, obama and anybody else who says "let's send help" really believe in it?

If GB or obama didn't give aid, the response towards nick griffin would be shown towards them.

At the end of the day, when leaders say "we must give aid", it's more to save their own skin because they're seen as the good guys of politics. Giving aid comes after
    I would strongly dispute that. I certainly believe that Brown and Obama are both compassionate people who generally have a desire to assist others where they can. Just because they are politicians does not mean they are devoid of altruism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    The people complaining about the "lack of british aid for british people" are idiotic and small minded scum. This country sinks billions into social benefit schemes to aid those who are unfortunate. Homelessness extends far beyond simply not affording to live in a home, drug abuse and prostitution has often been the cause for people turning to the streets and in many cases there are appropriate avenues for them to seek if they need help.
    Scum? That's a bit over the top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    I would strongly dispute that. I certainly believe that Brown and Obama are both compassionate people who generally have a desire to assist others where they can. Just because they are politicians does not mean they are devoid of altruism.
    It's easy to be altruistic with other people's money though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loki276)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8462717.stm

Mr Griffin's original postings, on Facebook and Twitter, said: "While the Haiti earthquake is terrible, the winter death toll in Britain will be similar. No aid here though."
    This is utter ********, winter death toll of 100,000? That doesn't happen even in Siberia.

ReputationRep:
    and if somethign happened here...?
    we'd expect outside aid if it came down to it
    we aren't a self sufficient society, and most western countries aren't.
    so if someone needs a hand, we give it... i dont see the problem

ReputationRep:
    Woops i didnt get what the question was and clicked 'no' thinking do you agree with his comment.

Wanna change it now.

Nick Griffin is a ****************************** who should go ******** himself and ********

and ******

He has the most RIDICULOUS perspective on the world and should be ***********

Agree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J DOT A)
    and that somehow compares to people dying:rolleyes:
    This. For god's sake Bubbles you do talk some rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    ^ She really does . Its sad really.

(Original post by Howard)
    Scum? That's a bit over the top.
    Tbh i think scum is putting it lightly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)

Cynical but true.

Although you coiuld argue the Haiti people require the money a hell of a lot more than we do, others would say we need it more seeing as we are in a hell of a large amount of debt with a gradually degrading economy.

But then again the question arises, how can you help others if you can't even help yourself first?
    In other words, how would you be able to treat a very ill person without treating yourself first, who is also very ill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CertifiedAngel)
    Tbh i think scum is putting it lightly
    What do you call me then? Because I believe that if we can afford to send millions in aid across the world then we can afford to spend more at home as well.

Am I scum?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.