Turn on thread page Beta

Nick Griffin on Haiti watch

• View Poll Results: Should UK give aid to Haiti or not?
    Yes
    79.38%
    No
    20.62%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    You don't clean up another persons garden when your own door step is a mess.
    When will people like you realise that our "doorstep" will ALWAYS have a bit of dirt on it, no matter what. Britain will never be any kind of utopia, no matter how much money we have. There will always be problems in Britain. It seems illogical to say that we should continue to keep the money for ourselves and resolve our problems, when they will NEVER be resolved! As soon as we solve one, another will crop up. Can't you see that?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    When will people like you realise that our "doorstep" will ALWAYS have a bit of dirt on it, no matter what. Britain will never be any kind of utopia, no matter how much money we have. There will always be problems in Britain. It seems illogical to say that we should continue to keep the money for ourselves and resolve our problems, when they will NEVER be resolved! As soon as we solve one, another will crop up. Can't you see that?!
    G7 Countries - external gross debt/GDP ratios, 2003Q2 - 2008 Q2

I love how you equate our economical issues as a 'bit of dirt'. Have you considered a career in politics?
    The above doesn't even consider the past year, to which we may assume has made it even worse considering browns Keynesian-happy-go-lucky policies.

ReputationRep:
    Some people are saying the government should look after us first and foremost...
    But quite frankly, if it were us in Haiti's position... I'm sure many people's opinions might change.

Also, if loads of the major countries gave aid and it was the UK that didn't, I'm sure that'd somehow wouldn't improve international relations...

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe the amount of crap in this thread. It's quite ******* simple really. In fact, anyone who needs to have it explained to them as to why it is wrong to not give a mere 6 million pounds to Haiti is probably never going to truly understand why it is wrong. You either get it or you don't.

If one had to try and explain it, then the best thing to do would be to simply say....

Suffering + Death in Haiti >>>> Suffering + Death in the UK, and when it comes to the six million, which country do you think it is going to make more of an impact in?

ReputationRep:

I love how you equate our economical issues as a 'bit of dirt'. Have you considered a career in politics?
    The above doesn't even consider the past year, to which we may assume has made it even worse considering browns Keynesian-happy-go-lucky policies.
    link to source please because that graph is absolute ********

unless it includes the debt by population otherwise that graph is a load of ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loki276)

unless it includes the debt by population otherwise that graph is a load of ****
    http://www.spectator.co.uk/coffeehou...ins-debt.thtml

ReputationRep:

Yeah thats not true at all
    Italy has far higher debt than the UK, and UK debt is between 40 and 50% of GDP... not sure exactly though.

ReputationRep:
    So what are people suggesting? that we should just sit here in our cushty positions while millions are suffering right now, while we wait for the government to sort out our homeless even though we have the options of benefits, free healthcare, free education system. I don't think so. Yeah i'm not rich but I am in a better position than those people who have had to go through that tradgedy therefore whatever I can do in my position to help I will and so should our country.

ReputationRep:
    yep exactly what I thought it was

that's not government debt

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8415703.stm <---- this on the other hand is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fynch101)
    Yeah thats not true at all
    Italy has far higher debt than the UK, and UK debt is between 40 and 50% of GDP... not sure exactly though.
    We're actually considered in a worse situation that Italy.

ReputationRep:
    The same article that claims our debt is over 300% of GDP also claims that the UK may require a bail out by the IMF

If you're stupid enough to believe that then fine go ahead, but most should understand that will not happen in the forseeable future.

ReputationRep:

Also if you look at japan's debt it is ******* high so much so that there are worries it may go bankrupt yet they still gave aid?

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll find we are not.

ReputationRep:
    no we aren't most of Britains debt today is locked up in shares of banks, which when they recover will be worth a lot more effectively cutting government debt by a lot. That is if they are sensible enough to sell when prices reach to 2007-2008 level

ReputationRep:
    Also if you look at japan's debt it is ******* high so much so that there are worries it may go bankrupt yet they still gave aid?
    Sorry I was wrong, our debt is estimated at 51.8% in 2008
    However italy is over 100%

so that graph is wrong. pay no attention to it.

(Original post by Fynch101)
    I think you'll find we are not.
    I think you'll find no one gives a **** about your opinion.

WHEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY .

ReputationRep:
    Many here are being too realistic, and immoral

ReputationRep:
    no we aren't most of Britains debt today is locked up in shares of banks, which when they recover will be worth a lot more effectively cutting government debt by a lot. That is if they are sensible enough to sell when prices reach to 2007-2008 level
    Stick to your A-level Economics.

ReputationRep:
    Stick to your A-level Economics.
    maybe show why Britain is in a worse place?

ReputationRep:
    I think Griffin's comment is stupid, as the numbers are just ridiculously different and we have been giving out aid to the homeless and old this winter anyway.

But I agree with others about helping ourselves first, if we were to help out ourselves first surely it would benefit the amount of aid we could give later on?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.