Turn on thread page Beta

Nick Griffin on Haiti watch

• View Poll Results: Should UK give aid to Haiti or not?
    Yes
    79.38%
    No
    20.62%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

No home
    No shelter
    The clothes you live in
    Relying on others for food..

It sounds EXACTLY the same

How naive.

Ever been homeless?
    Naive, no. Fact, yes. I studied the welfare state and poverty in depth for three years. If you're comparing the minority of homeless people in the UK to the current majority in Haiti, then that is very naive. In terms of so called 'poverty' as considered in the UK, eg in kind benefits / jsa, there is clearly a huge difference in the level of absolute poverty (the poverty line is massively different to undeveloped countries, obviously), and the comparison is null.

ReputationRep:
    I was on about total. And no we certainly will not pay it off easily, very naive of you,
    umm no, it's very naive of you too think that Britain won't pay it off with relative ease. Hell we have one of the biggest financial capitals in the world... and too say that retailer's and shops can't fund the deficit is just retarded. Britian will be out of the recession either next year or the year after...

BUT its not even about bloody economy, it's about HUMAN BEINGS suffering a great tragedy, and most of us who do have an ounce of moral fibre will know that we SHOULD help them.

Our problems are insignificant compared to those in Haiti right now.

ReputationRep:
    Why are the homeless then relying on charities for food and shelter? The government does **** all for our own homeless.
    Because there's simply so many homeless people in the country in part due to inefficiencies in the government itself it must be said. The government though do provide a certain amount of subsidies to such charities, ranging from taxation breaks to general funding itself. I'm not here to discuss the government's contribution to the homeless in the UK though, I'm speaking up that the majority of the people in this country think aid to Haiti is the right policy to adopt, costing £6 million in aid, as the above poll suggests. The main reason I attribute for this is that people in Haiti are dying - it's a humanitarian effort, while the homeless will live on (at least the majority will) albeit to the consequence of their quality of life.

Also, there are somewhat lesser impacts of not contributing to the aid effort, such as criticisms from the international community at large, but this as I say is of little significance in the circumstance. It's certainly a complex issue, which is the more deserving - but the basis of your argument is preference goes to the British because it is them with the funds it simply isn't as easy as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    I wasn't comparing our problems with theirs, but that doesn't mean we don't have significant problems of our own.

We have a very good schooling system which fails in inner cities, and a brilliant healthcare system where people die from MRSA. No it's not a bad school/health system but it's erroneous to imply it doesn't need vast improvements.
    We live in a country where the majority of children go to primary school, junior school, secondary school and college. And now more and more people are going to university. It's hardly that bad.

We have a healthcare system where people can break their legs and not have to pay, we have a healthcare system which pays for our own travel back to homes, where an ambulance will come anywhere. We can have operations. We can stay in the hospital when we're unwell. The closest hospital in Haiti collapsed, and even if it didn't, there's no way they could've handled that many people.

We have a LOT compared to some other countries.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't people just stop reporting on what this man says? Anyone with an ounce of a brain knows that verbal diarrhea is his speciality. The man likes controversy, we should just move on and pay no attention to him. Yes I'm aware of the irony of me posting here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyPyramid)
    Why don't people just stop reporting on what this man says? Anyone with an ounce of a brain knows that verbal diarrhea is his speciality. The man likes controversy, we should just move on and pay no attention to him. Yes I'm aware of the irony of me posting here.
    Ignoring racism instead of confronting it is the worst decision you can make

(Original post by loki276)
    nope they aren't idiots they too have received aid when they were in trouble and now they are repaying the favour.
    They are in position too, there people will end up ****** on a much bigger scale if they go under.

(Original post by candytreeman)
    Naive, no. Fact, yes. I studied the welfare state and poverty in depth for three years. If you're comparing the minority of homeless people in the UK to the current majority in Haiti, then that is very naive. In terms of so called 'poverty' as considered in the UK, eg in kind benefits / jsa, there is clearly a huge difference in the level of absolute poverty (the poverty line is massively different to undeveloped countries, obviously), and the comparison is null.
    There are still homeless people, thousands, we should be sorting them out first.

ReputationRep:
    They are in position too, there people will end up ****** on a much bigger scale if they go under.
    5 million wont make that much of a difference especially since Japanese save money a lot

(Original post by J DOT A)
    umm no, it's very naive of you too think that Britain won't pay it off with relative ease. Hell we have one of the biggest financial capitals in the world... and too say that retailer's and shops can't fund the deficit is just retarded. Britian will be out of the recession either next year or the year after...

BUT its not even about bloody economy, it's about HUMAN BEINGS suffering a great tragedy, and most of us who do have an ounce of moral fibre will know that we SHOULD help them.

Our problems are insignificant compared to those in Haiti right now.
    Your a ******* idiot, yes we are having to massively cut public spending and increase tax's because its easy to pay off?

Get a life.

There is no logical reason to help them if you want to go down the moral route, morals are opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    I neither said nor implied we were 'on the verge of bankruptcy' so moot point for you there.

And take homeless people out of the equation because I cba with your assertions about it (srsly if it was so easy to get out of do you think people would be on the streets for years?) and I didn't even bring homeless people up. Take our troops where they're dying because they don't have the correct equipment, inner city slump schools where the GCSE pass rate is ****, or hospitals where people contract MRSA and the nurses are highly overworked and underpaid. What about them?
    Well guess what, Britian has the facility's and the capability (with time of course) to rectifiy these issues. And at least we bloody have hostpitals to begin with, the people in Haiti who need the help can't get it because, you know why? They don't have enough hostpitals. The citizens here get free health care, so please dont ramble on about the NHS and talk like you know something about it, when clearly you don't.

The war was stupid anyway and it's Tony Blair's fault for ass-licking George W Bush.
    And I don't think you can compare GCSE results with people dying tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Your a ******* idiot, yes we are having to massively cut public spending and increase tax's because its easy to pay off?

Get a life.

There is no logical reason to help them if you want to go down the moral route, morals are opinions.
    it will get easy once we recover which should be done in 1-3 years

(Original post by theoutsider840)
    Because there's simply so many homeless people in the country in part due to inefficiencies in the government itself it must be said. The government though do provide a certain amount of subsidies to such charities, ranging from taxation breaks to general funding itself. I'm not here to discuss the government's contribution to the homeless in the UK though, I'm speaking up that the majority of the people in this country think aid to Haiti is the right policy to adopt, costing £6 million in aid, as the above poll suggests. The main reason I attribute for this is that people in Haiti are dying - it's a humanitarian effort, while the homeless will live on (at least the majority will) albeit to the consequence of their quality of life.

Also, there are somewhat lesser impacts of not contributing to the aid effort, such as criticisms from the international community at large, but this as I say is of little significance in the circumstance. It's certainly a complex issue, which is the more deserving - but the basis of your argument is preference goes to the British because it is them with the funds it simply isn't as easy as that.
    Yeah we get all these pictures of these people out in the cold in Haiti which is why people donate, why do we never get the same about our own god damn people? People would be just as inclined to donate.

ReputationRep:
    There are still homeless people, thousands, we should be sorting them out first.
    They are very hard to sort out. A significant percentage of homeless people are there because they want to be. It is difficult to fall completely through the support net of the welfare state. It manages to be fairly universal and comprehensive at the lower levels.

They also weren't just in a ******* earthquake. :p:

The scale of such a disaster and the prospect of a massively increasing death toll unless aid is received does require some form of aid / response.

it will get easy once we recover which should be done in 1-3 years
    Wow, no it will not, our next generation will still be paying it back.

Come back when you have ANYY IDEA about economics or the situation.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah we get all these pictures of these people out in the cold in Haiti which is why people donate, why do we never get the same about our own god damn people? People would be just as inclined to donate.
    maybe because its a matter of life and death of 100,000 people in Haiti?

(Original post by candytreeman)
    They are very hard to sort out. A significant percentage of homeless people are there because they want to be. It is difficult to fall completely through the support net of the welcome state. It manages to be fairly universal and comprehensive at the lower levels.

They also weren't just in a ******* earthquake. :p:

The scale of such a disaster and the prospect of a massively increasing death toll requires some form of aid / response.
    They might not have been in an earthquake but many have been abused, mis-treated or have mental issues which is why they are there, which are in my opinion right up there with it.

ReputationRep:
    Ignoring racism instead of confronting it is the worst decision you can make
    True, but we have given this man plenty of attention in the past and confronted him many times. He just gets far too much media coverage, I think it's gotten to the point where it completely galvanizes his supporters and has an adverse affect.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, no it will not, our next generation will still be paying it back.

Come back when you have ANYY IDEA about economics or the situation.
    the next generation will be paying back the debt of course but it will be relatively easy also I meant the economy recovering not debt being wiped off completely

ReputationRep:

Get a life.

There is a logical reason to help them, it's called EMPATHY AND COMPASSION.

Just because we aren't emotionless trolls like some of the members of TSR are clearly displaying, if someone is need, people HELP.
    It's not a "what do I gain out of it" scenario. We help because we care.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.