Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nick Griffin on Haiti Watch

• View Poll Results: Should UK give aid to Haiti or not?
    Yes
    79.38%
    No
    20.62%

ReputationRep:
    **** it, give it to people that really need it rather than the so called poverty we have here. I don't see any reports of British streets being filled with the stench of the dead.

And we all know the quake was caused by that fat dodgy eyed **** falling over anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he just means that instead of giving other countries aid and money, we should use it to buy our own country some grit? Meh....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    What?
    Your post seems to imply that the Balfour declaration being British engineered (something which I do not deny) means that Palestine is somehow "more deserving" of aid than Haiti. Not only is this logic ******* dodgy at best but one must also consider Haiti has been the subject of numerous foreign enforced conquests and was under a prolonged period of isolation governed by a dictatorial family with large amounts of western backing. I could sit there and tell you Palestine harbors terrorists and is governed by a terrorist group therefore should not be deserving of aid if a natural disaster was to occur, whilst I dont necessarily agree with the notion its still a valid argument. A countries political or social woes should not be the measurement upon which countries choose to target assistance. I hardly consider £6m a huge figure and seems rather appropriate for the situation at hand.

You're not five anymore, and you are well aware that governments have budgets. Funds and resources are allocated appropriately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rananagirl)
    Argh.
    Somebody stab Nick Griffin. In the eye. With an unattractively rusty knife. Please

He uses false figures to paint negative pictures of people and paper thinly mask extreme racism.

Yes, aid is damn hard to give, but we're a bloody rich country.
    EDIT: And recession resmeschion, we're still living like kings and queens.
    not everyone is

get a grip :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Yeah we get all these pictures of these people out in the cold in Haiti which is why people donate, why do we never get the same about our own god damn people? People would be just as inclined to donate.
    Quite right, that's a very good point. Just because we may come across these people in the UK doesn't mean they should not receive public awareness to their circumstances.

It's all just really because it's a outlandish, rare event, (a natural disaster) and that it has caused such destruction in Haiti (that the people are presented so much in the news). I can only think that homeless people aren't shown very often because people would just be bored of seeing them, but they are shown on much rarer occasions than they really should.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with britain is not as to how much money the country has, but rather how it is spent. The NHS is a prime example.

The mentality of people here it seems is that "in order to fix something you throw more money into the problem and it should sort itself out".

It's just like pumping more water through a leaking pipe, then you'd end up with the same amount of water on the other end.

Then suddenly when giving money for aid which at least has a more direct impact to someone's life in that part of the world, everyone starts complaining. Some people might think that the corrupt haiti government doesnt deserve it, but that doesnt mean that its people don't need it.

On their side they dont even have water to run through that leaking pipe.

ReputationRep:
    We already have something in place to "look after our own". It's called Welfare/Disability/Job Seekers Allowance/Dole/State pension.

Just for the infomation of the pathetic clueless loons quick to ride Nick's **** as usual.

ReputationRep:
    I actually agree. I don't see why the UK always has to give our money away to other countries and offer support to other countries. I understand that they need it but there are plenty of poor people here who need it too. There are reports, pretty much every day about old people freezing to death in their OWN HOMES because they dont have enough money to keep their heating on. Why aren't we giving the money to them? Why aren't we giving the money to the homeless who are at risk of death pretty much every second of the day during this weather?

ReputationRep:
    The best way to keep immigrants out is not to make Britain overtly hostile to foreigners as Nick and his ilk would like, but to make the rest of the world more stable and quite frankly less ******, economically prosperous and so on so that people would have no urgent economic need to leave their countries.

So when you consider this, money spent on international development is actually money that we don't then have to spend on housing asylum seekers, the immigration courts and so on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rananagirl)
    Argh.
    He uses false figures to paint negative pictures of people and paper thinly mask extreme racism.

Yes, aid is damn hard to give, but we're a bloody rich country.
    EDIT: And recession resmeschion, we're still living like kings and queens.
    A British government putting their own people first?

What disgusting racism!

ReputationRep:
    Your quite clearly are a fool, here it costs 10 times more for anything there than it does there, therefore the homeless and people in serious poverty here are in the same situation.

And it is just common sense to use your own countries money on your own countries people first.
    Are you joking? Britain does a million things for its own people. Benefits for the unemployed or disabled, centres for homeless people, free healthcare. Britain can afford to pledge £10 million. The amount the government loses in benefit fraud runs into billions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dzeh)
    agree.. the UK defecit is becoming bigger and bigger and they throw money about left right and centre to other countries

i fail to see why we should give money away to other countries even if they do "need" it..

theres thousands of people in the UK who could have benefited greatly from that money, look after your own no?

^ to 1 of the posts above the british government is here to look after us the british population.. not other countries and people who have nothin to do with britain
    Honestly what could £10mil accomplish in England?

ReputationRep:
    it frustrates me massively that griffin gives everyone such ammunition to be all morally superior against them.
    i cant believe this guy graduated from cambridge. ******* idiot.

although, his stupid claim aside, we really should be watching how much aid we give out with the current state of our economy. From figures published November 2009, UK public sector net debt was £829.7 billion. (or 59.2% of National GDP). maybe we should think about paying some of this back, first.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how people come to be homeless in this country when there is so much support for them unless they spend their benefits on dependencies rather than looking for work etc as they should be doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theoutsider840)
    Quite right, that's a very good point. Just because we may come across these people in the UK doesn't mean they should not receive public awareness to their circumstances.

It's all just really because it's a outlandish, rare event, (a natural disaster) and that it has caused such destruction in Haiti (that the people are presented so much in the news). I can only think that homeless people aren't shown very often because people would just be bored of seeing them, but they are shown on much rarer occasions than they really should.
    In most cases, homeless people are homeless out of choice.
    Also, they have a lot of support from hostels and day centres, providing them with food and shelter.
    Ofcourse we would be bored of seeing them on adverts, we're already bored of seeing them out on the streets begging for money.

ReputationRep:
    I actually agree that charity should start at home. It should not be limited to a particular ethnicity or whatever, and I'm not saying that people where I live deserve or need it more than people who live elsewhere. Obviously not..

It's just that I never give money to international charities because I don't know what they'll do with it - I suspect they use it 1) to pay their own salaries, 2) to advertise to get more money, and only 3) to help. I'd rather give money to some homeless people I meet in the street to be honest. At least then I know who got it and that they got all of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Your post seems to imply that the Balfour declaration being British engineered (something which I do not deny) means that Palestine is somehow "more deserving" of aid than Haiti. Not only is this logic ******* dodgy at best but one must also consider Haiti has been the subject of numerous foreign enforced conquests and was under a prolonged period of isolation governed by a dictatorial family with large amounts of western backing. I could sit there and tell you Palestine harbors terrorists and is governed by a terrorist group therefore should not be deserving of aid if a natural disaster was to occur, whilst I dont necessarily agree with the notion its still a valid argument. A countries political or social woes should not be the measurement upon which countries choose to target assistance. I hardly consider £6m a huge figure and seems rather appropriate for the situation at hand.

You're not five anymore, and you are well aware that governments have budgets. Funds and resources are allocated appropriately.
    I like this post.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, Nick Griffin cares about the Homeless? That's a suprise.

It's so direspectful and terribly ignorant to compare the Haiti Earthquake to the British Cold Snap.

This is no time for cold-hearted nationalism. We must make a considered effort to provide relief to Haiti during it's time of need, before even more people suffer and die.

I'm sure that, during Britains time of need, Nick Griffin would be more than happy to take hand outs.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, no it will not, our next generation will still be paying it back.

Come back when you have ANYY IDEA about economics or the situation.
    http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Britain_..._debt_payments

Oh look, our parents and grandparents have been paying off debts they inherited from 1945 up until 2007. The UK economy clearly did quite well despite this fact.

ReputationRep:
    Oh please, post the full comments:

After the initial comment, Griffin responded with another Twitter post, saying:

"Boys get blown to bits because we can't afford to armour their Land Rovers.... Sending aid to rioting ingrates while our own people die is stinking elite hypocrisy."

Asked about Mr Griffin's comments, BNP deputy leader Simon Darby criticised the government's £6m contribution to the aid effort in Haiti.

He said: "I'd rather see that £6m that we spent keeping our own people alive. You look after your own first.

"If they've got surplus money to give away to Haiti - how many people have died because we didn't have the infrastructure to grit the roads?"

Spot on, I have to agree with him.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.