Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is propably a stupid question but it doesnt say on UCAS, when u get a conditionaal offer and click on the link on ucas it tells u the grades u need is that for the exams ur sitting or ur overall grades e.g mines says ...from Dundee university

"This offer is subject to you obtaining

Scottish Qualifications Authority Higher
    Grades BBBB"

Is this BBBB this year or BBBB from 5th and this year , 6th

Thanks alot!:cool: :cool:

ReputationRep:
    This year, i would imagine....are you in fifth or sixth year?

EDIT: oopps i misread! You're in sixth year. I would think this year!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm not really familiar with the scottish system but aren't highers the final year qualifications?

If I'm wrong I'll look stupid but at least I'll learn something :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    I'm not really familiar with the scottish system but aren't highers the final year qualifications?

If I'm wrong I'll look stupid but at least I'll learn something :o:
    They can be, but in Scotland we have 5th year, where most people sit Highers but some sit Intermediate 2 which is less difficult than Highers but more difficult than Standard Grades. It is possible to go to University after 5th year, but many people either don't get the grades in 5th year so have to stay on for 6th year or choose to stay on for 6th year. In 6th year you can choose to do Highers (e.g. resit the ones you did the previous year to boost your grades or choose whole new ones) or Advanced Highers, which are more difficult than Highers and not generally needed to get into Scottish Unis. However, Advanced Highers are roughly equivalent to the first year of study in Scottish Unis, so are a useful thing to do.
    Hope that made some sense :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by bex285)
    They can be, but in Scotland we have 5th year, where most people sit Highers but some sit Intermediate 2 which is less difficult than Highers but more difficult than Standard Grades. It is possible to go to University after 5th year, but many people either don't get the grades in 5th year so have to stay on for 6th year or choose to stay on for 6th year. In 6th year you can choose to do Highers (e.g. resit the ones you did the previous year to boost your grades or choose whole new ones) or Advanced Highers, which are more difficult than Highers and not generally needed to get into Scottish Unis. However, Advanced Highers are roughly equivalent to the first year of study in Scottish Unis, so are a useful thing to do.
    Hope that made some sense :p:
    Ah ok I'd never understood that before, that's really cleared it up I'd always thought standard was like AS levels and Highers were like A2s...but they're not really comparable like that :giggle:you do standard pre 5th year then?

So in terms of the OP I'm thinkinging they're in 6th year and have an university offer for grades in highers, from the way they've phrased their question I'm going to guess they took highers last year didn't do as well as they'd hoped and like many people are doing highers again this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    Ah ok I'd never understood that before, that's really cleared it up I'd always thought standard was like AS levels and Highers were like A2s...but they're not really comparable like that :giggle:you do standard pre 5th year then?

So in terms of the OP I'm thinkinging they're in 6th year and have an university offer for grades in highers, from the way they've phrased their question I'm going to guess they took highers last year didn't do as well as they'd hoped and like many people are doing highers again this year?
    Nah I think Highers are more like AS levels and Advanced Highers are slightly more difficult than A2s. Yeah, your Standard Grades are like GCSEs I think. They don't really count for much other than to allow you to progress to the Higher.

Yeah that's what I'm guessing. The Uni would've most likely given an unconditional if they'd received the grades last year. Maybe the OP sat Int 2s though, hmm. See, this is when academic info in the sig would be really useful! :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by bex285)
    Nah I think Highers are more like AS levels and Advanced Highers are slightly more difficult than A2s. Yeah, your Standard Grades are like GCSEs I think. They don't really count for much other than to allow you to progress to the Higher.

Yeah that's what I'm guessing. The Uni would've most likely given an unconditional if they'd received the grades last year. Maybe the OP sat Int 2s though, hmm. See, this is when academic info in the sig would be really useful! :p:
    Ah ok, that sounds like the purose of GCSE's too :yes:
    And yes :giggle: it would've been helpful...but think you hit the nail on the head with the unconditional comment...sounds like they're looking for this year's qualifications...or a mixture perhaps (like my offer which included B/C at maths...which I already have ) but certainly this year's grades are the focus point...

ReputationRep:
    I got the same thing from Strathclyde. I was unsure and phoned them up. They said this was what was needed to be achieved this year, ie from 6th year alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greig_R)
    This is propably a stupid question but it doesnt say on UCAS, when u get a conditionaal offer and click on the link on ucas it tells u the grades u need is that for the exams ur sitting or ur overall grades e.g mines says ...from Dundee university

"This offer is subject to you obtaining

Scottish Qualifications Authority Higher
    Grades BBBB"

Is this BBBB this year or BBBB from 5th and this year , 6th

Thanks alot!
    It is from this year, so assumingly you are doing at least four Highers this year and they want at least four Bs from them. They will have already taken into account grades from last year when making the offer.... so say if you'd already got BB from fifth year and they were going to count it, this year the offer would be subject to you getting BB at Higher, which would make BBBB in total for your Highers. However, as they've asked for four now one would assume they want them all from sixth year otherwise they wouldn't have mentioned them.

What are you taking this year? And what did you do last year? Did you do some Intermediate Twos instead of Highers last year, or something like that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    It is from this year, so assumingly you are doing at least four Highers this year and they want at least four Bs from them. They will have already taken into account grades from last year when making the offer.... so say if you'd already got BB from fifth year and they were going to count it, this year the offer would be subject to you getting BB at Higher, which would make BBBB in total for your Highers. However, as they've asked for four now one would assume they want them all from sixth year otherwise they wouldn't have mentioned them.

What are you taking this year? And what did you do last year? Did you do some Intermediate Twos instead of Highers last year, or something like that?
    ye seems fair i only got 2 Cs in physics n biology last year , thnks

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.