Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Could someone help explain it to me please?

I get that there are podocytes, which make up the endothelial layer in the Bowmans Capsule? Also, the capillaries have an endothelium layer which have pores in?

What is the basement membrane? How do the substances diffuse?

Thanks! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chunkeymonkey62)

I get that there are podocytes, which make up the endothelial layer in the Bowmans Capsule? Also, the capillaries have an endothelium layer which have pores in?

basement membrane is basically like a thin layer of proteins which act as a filter

ReputationRep:
    Ultrafiltration - the basement membrane consists of a fine mesh of collagen fibres and glycoproteins, these act as a filter which prevents the passage of molecules with relative molecular mass
    of greater than 69000. the basement membrane is about 250-350nm(thick). The basement membrane is also negatively charged to repel negatively charged proteins from the blood(prevents their passage into bowman's space)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chunkeymonkey62)

Blood travels in to the glomerulus via the afferent arteriole. As it is under high pressure, molecules with an RMM of less than 69,000 are pushed throught the pores in the basement membrane which acts as a filter. The podocytes (epithelial cells of the Bowman's capsule) have finger-like projections (called major processes) that ensure there are gaps so that the fluid from the blood from the glomerulus (that has been filtered) can pass in to the lumen of the Bowman's capsule.

ReputationRep:
    this is complicated! someone explain it really briefly to me!

ReputationRep:
    ok i'll give it a shot.

so you have 5 substances that are filtered in the kidneys right :

Water, Ions, Amino Acids, Glucose and urea.

There are 3 barriers seprating the glomerulus and the Bowmans capsule consisting of:

-The endothelium of the capillaries : narrow gaps where blood plasma and its ions can pass through

- The basement membrane : this is basically a membrane of fine collagen fibres. It stops proteins going through, cos you dont want protein being in your urine. Molecules bigger than 69'000 rmm cannot pass through this membrane.

- The epithelial cells of the bowmans capsule: these are called podocytes. they have finger like projections, this makes sure theres some space between the cells, so the fluid can pass through from the glomerulus to the bowmans capsule.

The Basic function of Ultrafilteration is to make sure that large molecules and cells do not pass through into the bowmans capsule.

I dont think there is a real brief way of explaining ultrafiltration, but if there was i guess thats it. I hope it helps.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.