Turn on thread page Beta

"One in five college women will be raped, or experience an attempted rape" watch

ReputationRep:
    ... and the other 4/5 won't be making up stories when they wake up the next morning regretting what they did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    Let's make this simple.

Those who engage in one night stands. Drunken or not.
    For every woman who has a one night stand there's a man who has a one night stand. Condemning women specifically for this is both sexist and completely irrelevent to this thread.

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    For every woman who has a one night stand there's a man who has a one night stand. Condemning women specifically for this is both sexist and completely irrelevent to this thread.
    They are both as bad as eachother. But irrelevant to the thread all the same.

ReputationRep:
    Did I specify a gender? :confused:

Whore/ Manwhore
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The 'crying wolf' thing is part of it, sure, but that doesn't account for the widespread attitude that women are 'asking for it' or somehow to blame, or that rape isn't really a big deal.
    Hmm. Who is saying that women are asking for it, or that rape isn't a big deal?

The way rape victims are treated is crap, and the low number of women who lie about being raped neither explains nor justifies this.
    How exactly are rape victims treated crap?

ReputationRep:
    This is the USA, where drinking under 21 is illegal - of course that doesn't stop anyone, but it does change is the situations in which they drink. It is much more likely to be at a house party than in a club, because of having to avoid the law. So what you are getting is a bunch of young people who are living away from home from the first time, in the house of someone they don't know, drinking something they haven't seen made in the company of a bunch of strangers. A girl in this kind of situation is very vulnerable so it is not surprising so many are attacked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    Did I specify a gender? :confused:

Whore/ Manwhore
    Yes, you did specify a gender.

If you were to visit a women’s studies department at an elite university, you would encounter a wide variety of courses on the sexual liberation of women. The main thrust of these courses is that for too long, various social institutions have prevented women from exploring their sexual desires. Now, women have been partially freed from the oppressive forces of male patriarchy. In other words, young women are encouraged to be whores.
    Plus, whore is a word that specifically refers to women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpamBa)
    This is the USA, where drinking under 21 is illegal - of course that doesn't stop anyone, but it does change is the situations in which they drink. It is much more likely to be at a house party than in a club, because of having to avoid the law. So what you are getting is a bunch of young people who are living away from home from the first time, in the house of someone they don't know, drinking something they haven't seen made in the company of a bunch of strangers. A girl in this kind of situation is very vulnerable so it is not surprising so many are attacked.
    It is a fact that most rape victims got raped by someone who was close to them -- friend or relative. Very few actually got raped by a stranger or a bunch of strangers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christian_j)
    Uni is full of complete SLAAAAAAGGGGGSSSS.

Then they complain when they get fingered behind bins with some random drunk nutter they just met in a club who they've led on for the last few hours.

There are genuine cases, of course, and I'm not saying it's right at all, but a lot of girls do ask for it.
    That's right, it's only natural that men rape. Any woman who gets drunk or dresses to attract men deserves to be their victim. If women didn't want to be raped they would cover themselves up in a big sheet and only leave the house to buy groceries or take their children to school! After all, it's worked for Muslim women. No one ever gets raped in Somalia or Afganistan.

ReputationRep:
    If we were to do a study in which a group of college girls were to cover up and prevent themselves from binge drinking, I guarantee this figure would be significantly less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Hmm. Who is saying that women are asking for it, or that rape isn't a big deal?
    I've come across a lot of people with this attitude. It's especially prevalent on TSR, I'm surprised you haven't come across it. Also in the police force- see below.

(Original post by Smack)
    How exactly are rape victims treated crap?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/ma...onvictions-low

(Original post by guardian)
    One of the most serious problems has been the initial handling of rape complaints by the police. The 2007 report by Her Majesty's Chief Inspectorate and Her Majesty's Crown Prosecution Service Inspectorate, the independent inspectorates for the police and CPS, found that many officers dealing with rape victims had "very little training in responding to rape cases" and a "lack of awareness" of the need to follow the relevant guidance.

Victims were found to experience delays, "unpleasant environments", inappropriate behaviour by professionals, insensitive questioning during interviews and "judgmental or disbelieving attitudes" when coming forward with complaints of rape.
    Is it any wonder that 95%ish of rapes aren't reported at all, when this is what rape victims can expect?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you did specify a gender.

Plus, whore is a word that specifically refers to women.
    Men are also encouraged by popular culture to nail as many chicks as humanly possible.

A one night stand is the greatest achievement! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smoker)
    If we were to do a study in which a group of college girls were to cover up and prevent themselves from binge drinking, I guarantee this figure would be significantly less.
    Guarantee? Really? Covering up has nothing to do with it, men don't rape girls because they're wearing revealing clothes.

If men didn't drink, I bet they'd be way less vulnerable to assault, or theft. But nobody ever says they're asking to be assaulted or robbed. This is basically a pathetic attempt to blame rape victims and excuse rapists. Girls should be able to do and wear what they want without fear of being raped. Jesus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    Men are also encouraged by popular culture to nail as many chicks as humanly possible.

A one night stand is the greatest achievement! :woo:
    Again, why on earth do you think this is relevant?

ReputationRep:
    I hope that one day on this website, there'll be a topic about rape, and one male (any male) will respond with 'rape is a terrible thing, and it should happen less often', without being suffixed by 'but most women who say they are raped are filthy liars who should be immediately slaughtered'.

there is a disturbing trend on this website of people who don't give a **** about rape victims, and seem to have a fetishized interest in condemning them as sluts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    That's right, it's only natural that men rape. Any woman who gets drunk or dresses to attract men deserves to be their victim. If women didn't want to be raped they would cover themselves up in a big sheet and only leave the house to buy groceries or take their children to school! After all, it's worked for Muslim women. No one ever gets raped in Somalia or Afganistan.
    Preach!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    I hope that one day on this website, there'll be a topic about rape, and one male (any male) will respond with 'rape is a terrible thing, and it should happen less often'.

there is a disturbing trend on this website of people who don't give a **** about rape victims, and seem to have a fetishized interest in condemning them as sluts.
    So now you are generalizing that all men think rape is fine? I have never once seen this attitude anywhere. Of course everyone believes that rape is terrible and should happen less, I just think people want there to be more consistency.

For example:

A guy rapes a girl and gets 5 years in jail.
    A girl says that a guy has raped her and he hasn't, and she gets anonymity.

Pre-judgement everyone should be granted anonymity because it is such a sensitive subject. Then after the case the identites should be released only if it is proven that the man raped the female or that the girl lied.
    If neither of these situations arise both should be kept anonymous.

The jail time for rape should be the same amount of time for those lying about it.

Equality is the way forward.

ReputationRep:
    Guarantee? Really? Covering up has nothing to do with it, men don't rape girls because they're wearing revealing clothes.

If men didn't drink, I bet they'd be way less vulnerable to assault, or theft. But nobody ever says they're asking to be assaulted or robbed. This is basically a pathetic attempt to blame rape victims and excuse rapists. Girls should be able to do and wear what they want without fear of being raped. Jesus.
    Of course men shouldn't be raping women. Whilst its difficult to condition the behaviour of horny young men and their sexual tendencies, women who would prefer not to get raped when they're at college could protect themselves from getting hurt by taking simple precautions.

A girl in a bikini and a mini skirt, drunk out of her face and sprawled all over a sofa during a house party is more likely to get raped than an equally good looking girl in jeans and a t-shirt, drinking as much as it makes sense to drink.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    So now you are generalizing that all men think rape is fine?
    No. Jesus Christ, how on earth was I doing that? What were you reading that made you think that?

I assume, for my own sanity and peace of mind, that the vast vast majority of men's opinions around rape, rape victims, and women who allege rape are nowhere even coming remotely close to the opinions which are callously often flung about on this website.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.