Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"One in five college women will be raped, or experience an attempted rape" Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christian_j)
    Preach!
    What a witty response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smoker)
    Of course men shouldn't be raping women. Whilst its difficult to condition the behaviour of horny young men and their sexual tendencies, women who would prefer not to get raped when they're at college could protect themselves from getting hurt by taking simple precautions.

A girl in a bikini and a mini skirt, drunk out of her face and sprawled all over a sofa during a house party is more likely to get raped than an equally good looking girl in jeans and a t-shirt, drinking as much as it makes sense to drink.
    Hide before the feminists read this comment!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    I've come across a lot of people with this attitude. It's especially prevalent on TSR, I'm surprised you haven't come across it. Also in the police force- see below.
    Not by anyone who isn't a rank idiot, no

I'm going to need a little further explanation on the following terms, since I'm not exactly sure what they mean: ""unpleasant environments", "inappropriate behaviour by professionals" and "insensitive questioning during interviews".

Nor does it say that the attitude that the woman was asking for it is prevalent in the police force.

Is it any wonder that 95%ish of rapes aren't reported at all, when this is what rape victims can expect?
    No, that's you just twisting words. It is a) an estimate, and b) the absolute maximum value from that estimate. It would be interesting to see how they got that figure, especially given that nature of rape crimes.

ReputationRep:
    Casual sexism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smoker)
    Of course men shouldn't be raping women. Whilst its difficult to condition the behaviour of horny young men and thier sexual tendencies, women who would prefer not to get raped when they're at college could protect themselves from getting hurt by taking simple precautions.

A girl in a bikini and a mini skirt, drunk out of her face and sprawled all over a sofa during a house party is more likely to get raped than an equally good looking girl in jeans and a t-shirt, drinking as much as it makes sense to drink.
    What authority do you have to say what makes a rape more likely? Is this just pure speculation on your part? Is it actually statistically proven that clothing or alcohol consumption have anything to do with it?

The rape victims are not the problem here, and the onus should not be on them to make sure they're not raped. If a man is mugged, nobody blames him for walking alone. Yet when it comes to rape victims, there's a bizzarre focus on the woman, and a pretense that she has some kind of responsibility for the rape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    That's right, it's only natural that men rape. Any woman who gets drunk or dresses to attract men deserves to be their victim. If women didn't want to be raped they would cover themselves up in a big sheet and only leave the house to buy groceries or take their children to school! After all, it's worked for Muslim women. No one ever gets raped in Somalia or Afganistan.
    AMEN! That's why woman are punished for being raped in those countries, rapes don't happen over there, women just lie! 0 rapes because of Sharia!

as has already been said, keep on a preachin' O-Ren!:p:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Guarantee? Really? Covering up has nothing to do with it, men don't rape girls because they're wearing revealing clothes.
    Now that's just showing your ignorance.

If men didn't drink, I bet they'd be way less vulnerable to assault, or theft. But nobody ever says they're asking to be assaulted or robbed. This is basically a pathetic attempt to blame rape victims and excuse rapists. Girls should be able to do and wear what they want without fear of being raped. Jesus.
    Nice strawman. Smoker didn't say that women wearing revealing clothes were asking to be raped, nor was he saying that they should not be allowed to do or wear what they want without fear of being raped. All he said was that women wearing very revealing clothes passed out on a sofa at a party because of too much alcohol (and possibly other, less legal substances) are more likely to be raped.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=missygeorgia]What authority do you have to say what makes a rape more likely? Is this just pure speculation on your part? Is it actually statistically proven that clothing or alcohol consumption have anything to do with it?

The rape victims are not the problem here, and the onus should not be on them to make sure they're not raped.[B] If a man is mugged, nobody blames him for walking alone. Yet when it comes to rape victims, there's a bizzarre focus on the woman, and a pretense that she has some kind of responsibility for the rape.[QUOTE]

What are you talking about?

If a man walks at night in a doggy neighbourhood and he gets mugged, of course, its his fault that he put himself in that position.

Be close to reality!

ReputationRep:
    Uni is full of complete SLAAAAAAGGGGGSSSS.

Then they complain when they get fingered behind bins with some random drunk nutter they just met in a club who they've led on for the last few hours.

There are genuine cases, of course, and I'm not saying it's right at all, but a lot of girls do ask for it.
    Sorry, what? To be raped?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunOfABeach)
    It is a fact that most rape victims got raped by someone who was close to them -- friend or relative. Very few actually got raped by a stranger or a bunch of strangers
    True, very true. But if you are with a bunch of people who you mostly don't know well then you are still more vulnerable, because there is less likely to be someone looking out for you. And I've often heard it said that most women know their attacker casually, but not necessarily as a proper friend.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The rape victims are not the problem here, and the onus should not be on them to make sure they're not raped.
    The onus should always be on the individual to take maximum precautions to ensure their own safety.

If a man is mugged, nobody blames him for walking alone.
    What ****ing planet do you live on? If a man is walking home alone or through a dodgy neighbourhood, and gets mugged, people will certainly tell him he should have taken greater precautions.

Yet when it comes to rape victims, there's a bizzarre focus on the woman, and a pretense that she has some kind of responsibility for the rape.
    No. There is the pretence that a lot of the time, if alcohol and drugs were involved, she could have been a lot more responsible for her own safety.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    Sorry, what? To be raped?
    Keep your knickers on lav, I'm trolling 'ere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    Hide before the feminists read this comment!
    :p:

I'm a bit of a feminist myself tbh. Nothing is more sickening than the violation of a woman.

What authority do you have to say what makes a rape more likely? Is this just pure speculation on your part? Is it actually statistically proven that clothing or alcohol consumption have anything to do with it?

The rape victims are not the problem here, and the onus should not be on them to make sure they're not raped. If a man is mugged, nobody blames him for walking alone. Yet when it comes to rape victims, there's a bizzarre focus on the woman, and a pretense that she has some kind of responsibility for the rape.
    Well I guess its largely speculation on my part, based on that what common sense would dictate. I'm more likely to get an erection when I see a pair of breasts, than when I'm not looking at a pair of breasts. And people who are under the influence of alcohol and drugs are less able to mediate their actions than people who aren't under the influence. If you ready my first post, you see I said "If we were to do a study".

Rape victims aren't a problem and nobody said they are. But rape exists. Rape has always existed. Rape can even be seen in wild animals. Rape is, I believe, the reason things like the head covering is prescribed in Islam. The objectification of women only heightens men's sexual tendencies, and whilst it is very important to let people know that crimes such as rape would be punishable to the maximum, nobody is standing there 24/7 with a tazer to prevent men from physically taking control of, and violating a woman. No word of advice or anything I say can be used to influence someone disgusting enough to rape someone. But for any woman I care for, that would be my advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Not by anyone who isn't a rank idiot, no
    Well, unfortunately there are a lot of these rank idiots, who are also part of our society, our juries, our justice systems, and their attitudes to rape are appalling.

(Original post by Smack)
    I'm going to need a little further explanation on the following terms, since I'm not exactly sure what they mean: ""unpleasant environments", "inappropriate behaviour by professionals" and "insensitive questioning during interviews".
    I'm sure the investigation is on the internet somewhere in greater detail. If not, I'm sure it's easy to imagine what these terms mean. The police force itself has admitted that the way they handle rape cases is crap.

(Original post by Smack)
    Nor does it say that the attitude that the woman was asking for it is prevalent in the police force.
    It does, however, describe rape not being taken seriously in the police force, which is what I was referring to.

(Original post by Smack)
    No, that's you just twisting words. It is a) an estimate, and b) the absolute maximum value from that estimate. It would be interesting to see how they got that figure, especially given that nature of rape crimes.
    Which is why I said '95%ish'. Whatever the number is, there's a huge amount of rape cases that aren't reported. In this case I don't think there's much need to quibble over the exact statistics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)

What are you talking about?

If a man walks at night in a doggy neighbourhood and he gets mugged, of course, its his fault that he put himself in that position.

Be close to reality!
    Hear hear!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that's the reason rape isn't taken seriously. Plenty of people accuse others of all sorts of crimes they didn't do, but that doesn't mean assault, theft etc are taken any less seriously. Rape is dismissed because of a faiure to take women in general seriously, as far as I'm concerned.
    Rape has a stigma attached that muggery and assualt do not. A man who admits to rape to another man would find himself reviled very quickly and far more quickly than someone who said yeah i robbed this shop one time. There is a reason why perpetrators of sexual crimes are often kept seperate from other prisoners in jail as it gives them swift painful 'justice' if put in with the regular lot.

From a personal POV i know two women who were raped (or who i believe when they say they were raped) i also know and have known three women who i know lied about being raped - one did it for the purposeful intention of making the bloke she accussed out to be a monster. The others i dont know why they did it.

For every woman who has a one night stand there's a man who has a one night stand. Condemning women specifically for this is both sexist and completely irrelevent to this thread.
    id disagree actually on that - the subject is on women being raped so you can argue quite easily that women having one night stands is in relation to women accusing men of rape. Though i would agree that mena re just as bad as women for ONS (not that i view them as a bad thing whether commited by a man or woman)

Guarantee? Really? Covering up has nothing to do with it, men don't rape girls because they're wearing revealing clothes.

If men didn't drink, I bet they'd be way less vulnerable to assault, or theft. But nobody ever says they're asking to be assaulted or robbed. This is basically a pathetic attempt to blame rape victims and excuse rapists. Girls should be able to do and wear what they want without fear of being raped. Jesus.
    thats because (i think) so many people on this site confuse rape with sex. Rape is not about sex its about power and victimisation. The rapist gets off on the power and fear caused of the attack not the sexual act

(Original post by OhNO!)
    I hope that one day on this website, there'll be a topic about rape, and one male (any male) will respond with 'rape is a terrible thing, and it should happen less often', without being suffixed by 'but most women who say they are raped are filthy liars who should be immediately slaughtered'.

there is a disturbing trend on this website of people who don't give a **** about rape victims, and seem to have a fetishized interest in condemning them as sluts.
    rape is a terrible thing, and it should happen less often - there i said it and im male and a member. I think its horrific.

ReputationRep:
    agreed and i think thats a foul way of looking at it. at no point is the woman at fault for being raped i dont care if shes wearing a nuns habit or lying round the street stark naked with enough alchohol in here to drop an elephant.

However some onus must be placed on the woman for being in a potential situation that could get her raped. That being said what is the "situation~" for getting raped, a man walking alone drunk in a dark dangerous ally is placing himself in the situation to be mugged. Unfortunately where rape is concerned there is no such clear cut "situation"

ReputationRep:
    Keep your knickers on lav, I'm trolling 'ere.
    Alright then...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Well, unfortunately there are a lot of these rank idiots, who are also part of our society, our juries, our justice systems, and their attitudes to rape are appalling.
    Our justice systems ... how?

I'm sure the investigation is on the internet somewhere in greater detail. If not, I'm sure it's easy to imagine what these terms mean. The police force itself has admitted that the way they handle rape cases is crap.
    I have no imagination. Explain.

It does, however, describe rape not being taken seriously in the police force, which is what I was referring to.
    That's a very broad generalisation. I can assure you, many police forces do take rape seriously. The police force at that covers my old uni halls area did, for example. Although I'm not contending that some police forces do not take rape as seriously as it is.

ReputationRep:
    I guess we should just all stay locked inside our houses all day. If we choose to leave and then get raped, well, we've only ourselves to blame!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.