Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ...and I don't meet my offers, I'll need to return to college and do more highers.

I was thinking about doing a HNC in Applied Sciences, but that would mean I'd loose out on funding for uni. (Damn SAAS). All you need is CC with a science at Higher.

Anyway, currently doing:
    Highers English, Maths, Human Biology, Chemistry and Psychology.

What I can do next year:
    Sociology, History, Physics, Modern Studies, Politics, Geography, AH English, Accounting, A-Level Forensic Science (BTCE thing), a module in Law, RMPS AND/OR resit all/some of the highers I fail.

If I fail Human Bio or Chemistry, I'll defo be resitting those. I was thinking:
    -Physics
    -Sociology
    -History
    -AH English (night class, 3 hours p/w)

I have no idea about the amount of work involved in the above, though. I'll be crashing Physics and Sociology, but I got a 1 in SG for History and I'm enjoying H English atm. Psychology and Maths can go get ******.

Would this be a wise choice? I'm hoping to go for Chemistry at Uni, or reapply for biomed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    ...and I don't meet my offers, I'll need to return to college and do more highers.

I was thinking about doing a HNC in Applied Sciences, but that would mean I'd loose out on funding for uni. (Damn SAAS). All you need is CC with a science at Higher.

Anyway, currently doing:

What I can do next year:
    Sociology, History, Physics, Modern Studies, Politics, Geography, AH English, Accounting, A-Level Forensic Science (BTCE thing), a module in Law, RMPS AND/OR resit all/some of the highers I fail.

-Physics
    -Sociology
    -History

I have no idea about the amount of work involved in the above, though. I'll be crashing Physics and Sociology, but I got a 1 in SG for History and I'm enjoying H English atm. Psychology and Maths can go get ******.

Would this be a wise choice? I'm hoping to go for Chemistry at Uni, or reapply for biomed.
    I take it there are no AH sciences offered? If you got a B in H Chem then I would do AH or resit if i thought I could get an A and AH wasn't offered. Physics would probably useful for chemistry, and is a more obvious choice than the other subjects.

Heriot Watt has the entry requirements BBBC for their Chemistry Bsc (hons) which is slightly lower than other unis, and I think I know someone who got in with those grades (on results day), I doubt you particularly need to worry though you'll do fine in your Highers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRabbit)
    I take it there are no AH sciences offered? If you got a B in H Chem then I would do AH or resit if i thought I could get an A and AH wasn't offered. Physics would probably useful for chemistry, and is a more obvious choice than the other subjects.

Heriot Watt has the entry requirements BBBC for their Chemistry Bsc (hons) which is slightly lower than other unis, and I think I know someone who got in with those grades (on results day), I doubt you particularly need to worry though you'll do fine in your Highers
    Nope I asked and they said if I was that desperate, I should do the HNC Applied Sciences/Engineering :rolleyes:... I kinda wish I stayed at school now, lol.

I've applied to Heriot Watt I kinda lost interest when they replied :/ Oh well.

Yeah, but here's the thing; my strathclyde offer will prolly be BBBB + chem and maths (my firm) and my glasgow offer is ABBB + chem (my insurance). I'm a hopeless dildo at maths, so I could probably fail that and still get into uni! Urg. Why is it so damn loop-holeish

ReputationRep:
    Nope I asked and they said if I was that desperate, I should do the HNC Applied Sciences/Engineering :rolleyes:... I kinda wish I stayed at school now, lol.

I've applied to Heriot Watt I kinda lost interest when they replied :/ Oh well.

Yeah, but here's the thing; my strathclyde offer will prolly be BBBB + chem and maths (my firm) and my glasgow offer is ABBB + chem (my insurance). I'm a hopeless dildo at maths, so I could probably fail that and still get into uni! Urg. Why is it so damn loop-holeish
    If you want to do AHs but can't at the college, why don't you go to another college or go back to school? I highly doubt you won't meet your offers, have faith!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonshine_1991)
    If you want to do AHs but can't at the college, why don't you go to another college or go back to school? I highly doubt you won't meet your offers, have faith!
    1. I could only go to either Kilwinning or Kilmarnock, but they don't offer AHs, either.
    2. Noooooo...I'd get depressed and I don't think that's even possible.

I am having faith, but I need to keep my ass covered at the same time.

ReputationRep:

Anyway, currently doing:

What I can do next year:

-Physics
    -Sociology
    -History

I'd go for AH English and History. If you don't like Maths, I don't think you'll like Physics.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about doing a HNC in Applied Sciences, but that would mean I'd loose out on funding for uni. (Damn SAAS).

I may have the wrong end of the stick here, apologies if so. However, if you go to college to do an HNC and get SAAS funding (primarily your fees I'm guessing) then you can get funding (fees etc) for a degree in the future from first year too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watch_the_birdie)
    I may have the wrong end of the stick here, apologies if so. However, if you go to college to do an HNC and get SAAS funding (primarily your fees I'm guessing) then you can get funding (fees etc) for a degree in the future from first year too.
    You can?!?!!?!? That's brilliant! I'm poor enough so I hope I'll qualify, lol. Again, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heather with the Weather)
    If you don't like Maths, I don't think you'll like Physics.
    She has a point there. Higher Physics has a bit of SG maths stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C274)
    She has a point there. Higher Physics has a bit of SG maths stuff.
    I don't hate maths, I just hate the higher course

(Got the books btw, I've sent the past papers off )

ReputationRep:
    I don't hate maths, I just hate the higher course

(Got the books btw, I've sent the past papers off )
    Awesome, cheers!

Fair enough then, you shouldn't be too put off physics. Basically you need to know how to do direct and inverse proportion, and basic trig including and Sine and Cosine rules. Being good with indices is useful too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C274)
    Awesome, cheers!

Fair enough then, you shouldn't be too put off physics. Basically you need to know how to do direct and inverse proportion, and basic trig including and Sine and Cosine rules. Being good with indices is useful too
    Psh, that's nothing! lol. Plus, an extra science wouldn't hurt if I reapply for chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Psh, that's nothing! lol. Plus, an extra science wouldn't hurt if I reapply for chemistry.
    Have you made Strathclyde your firm then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C274)
    Have you made Strathclyde your firm then?
    Nope. But I haven't firmed glasgow, either I'm still waiting on my strathy offer lol

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.