Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    So you would believe that they are not following their faith properly then, even though they still want to clothe their head?
    No they're just being stupid, I fail to see the purpose of covering all of your body and then trying to garner attention to your eyes. And for the record I haven't seen one of them do this so I'll take your word for it.

ReputationRep:
    "if a women feels good in some revealing clothes ,that means she should be allowed? "

Er....Yes

ReputationRep:
    "Do you have proof, from a religious text, and do you have proof that those commands are from God?"

But if you don't believe the religion a TEXT is no proof.

ReputationRep:
    go bomb yourslef

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    Most women change their appearance between the day and the evening. We don't wear the same kind of make up during the day as in the evening. So no, your point doesn't remain true. Women tend to wear more natural make up during the day to slightly improve their natural skintone/features. At night, they wear more dramatic make up to gain attention, whether that be from men or women.
    Yes it does, not every woman goes out in the evening. So whatever they wear in the morning to school,college,university or work is the same make up. The different reasons women wear make up is simply to garner attention and nothing else.

Yes, I do. Feeling good is caused by something. For me, it's thinking that I look prettier, as well as being told so. Why is that such a bad thing?
    It isn't, I just don't buy the argument that you do it for yourself. You are expected to look a certain way all for my and other men's approval. Some women reject this and don't do it but the vast majority conform.

That's completely illogical. Someone can be content with themselves, but still want to improve slightly on special occasions. If I get a B in an exam, I can still be happy with that, and still want to get an A next time. People are always striving to be better than they are, but that doesn't mean they have some deep problem with the status quo.
    To be content with your personal self you wouldn't have need for the "better". It's called humility. Your example is a bad one, life achievements are very different to personal presentation, one is seemingly hidden, the other isn't.

How is it different? They're wearing the same things, for the same reasons. Just because a man can't see the things, doesn't make the woman dressing to be sexually attractive any different.
    No I'm not referring to their underwear, I'm referring to their day to day clothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peanut65)
    nobody asked britain to colonise India.
    Has nothing to do with this argument, and India is not Muslim, it's Hindu, fail.

(Original post by peanut65)
    what gives france the right to breach a certain dresscode?
    The fact that France belongs to France, it's their country, and if you choose to live there you abide to their rules, regardless or not whether you immigrated there or not. If I went to live in Saudi Arabia, I wouldn't walk around in shorts. You live there, you abide by the rules, don't like it? Then you leave.

And as for the person who said the Quran is perfect because it is written without any grammar or spelling mistakes loooool :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludwig Wittgenstein)
    Yep. Agreed with Mr Orange. No one asked for Muslims to come to the west.
    And the Western converts?

ReputationRep:
    "Haven't the unbelievers considered if this was from other than Allah, they would find within it many contradictions?"

Well muslims on this thread have been telling us that there are many interpretations.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    I think it's do with if they're going to someone's house or something they take it off when they arrive and either uncover their face or completely take off the hijab or abaya depending on who is there. I do think it's a little pointless wearing it if you're going to the shops and back but I think in Middle Eastern culture there is a lot of emphasis on the eyes and they tend to focus on that more.
    Yes I agree some cultures place an emphasis on different things as you stated with middle eastern cultures an emphasis is placed around the eyes hence the invention of the khol and in Mauritania for example, overweight women are seen as more desirable than slender women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You-Rock-My-World)
    What about the anti-Semitism a lot of Muslims show? You would not allow a Jew to go to an Islamic country without being hated. Just look at the middle east conflict.
    Anti-Semitism does exist in Muslim countries but so does Islam phobia in Israel.

Also, what about Mecca? Non Muslims cannot visit Mecca, nor can Churches be built in Mecca, when there are mosques appearing everywhere in the UK.
    Mecca is the holy land of the Muslims. It is a very peaceful place and there would be a lot of tension if the non-Muslims started visiting. It is not a tourist attraction; it is a religious place. Also, there are some restrictions for Arabs in certain parts of Israel.

If a country is kind enough to let you in, you do not disrespect the values and culture of that country by forcing your religion onto them. You follow the values of that country. A bit hypocritical if you ask me, you do all you can to move to the west, yet you hate the west and try to change it?
    Double standards isn't it? White Europeans don't flock to live in Islamic countries and try to change them, and if they did, you would be the first to complain. You are lucky we are very tolerant in Europe.
    There is only a small amount of Muslim countries compared to Christian countries. Your acting like all the Muslims come from Middle East, I mean there are Muslims other places. Muslims in Africa tend to have more of an extremist view than Saudi Arabia, so there's a reason for them to come here plus some countries are wore torn. To be honest I don't really care about France, now if it was usa or Britain than it would be a different issue because those countries want to be superpower so they have allow every religion to practise peacefully and according to their scriptures and dress code.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    Do you wear nice clothes, get a haircut fairly regularly and lift weights?

ReputationRep:
    I think they'd be thankful, they must be getting heatstroke wearing all that stuff in France!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonesy09)
    Has nothing to do with this argument, and India is not Muslim, it's Hindu, fail.
    British India was very different to the India that exists today. Bangladesh, Pakistan and India are the modern day equivalents and Bangladesh and Pakistan are Muslim countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    So basically you're in favour of banning the burqa because it doesn't comply with your personal beliefs. How ironic...
    Erm, no. Where did I even imply that? Please point it out. Because unless I can't read - and I can read, very well for that matter - I'm fairly sure I offered backing to personal freedom over the degrading, brutal authoritarianism of the Islamic faith. Furthermore, I'm not supporting a ban because of my beliefs. I'm supporting a ban because I think the burkha is a dangerous item - a tool of submission. If people want to wear this atrocious garment in their own homes then they can by all means do so, but we're not going to publically tolerate the clear demonstration of support for wife-beating husbands, and customs involving the stoning of raped women in Islamofascist theocracies. An objection anticipated: "oh, but not all Muslim women are coerced into wearing this" (even in spite of the fact that it has nothing to do with their religion at all). Fair enough, I'm certainly willing to accept that some are, but (a) I can know a priori that no-one with a clear mind would wear this thing for kicks, and (b) the line between those being forced by their husbands (under pain of god only knows what) and those "choosing" to wear it is extremely ambiguous. Am I willing to stop a few wearing this item of repression out of "choice" so that I can prevent the practicing on the part of four-legged bearded creeps of callous, bloodthirsty misogyny towards their helpless wives? You bet I am (and anyone with an ounce of sensibility and humility should too).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    Do you wear nice clothes, get a haircut fairly regularly and lift weights?
    Sometimes. However there are several things to point out. The male gender is different to the female. Women are not as sexually desirous as men hence there are no societal expectations in the visual sense as their are on women. Most people dress the way they do to get approval and praise, I just don't buy the argument that women in the West do it because it makes them feel good while Muslim women are forced to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inzamam99)
    And the Western converts?
    Converts? You make the west sound like a religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honeyisgoodforyou)
    It's not THEIR FAULT THEY ARE FOLLOWING THEIR RELIGION!!!!!
    LoL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stacy...)
    Seriously how much do you know about Islam anyway to judge it so harshly?
    Have you ever asked yourself why over 20,000 women convert to Islam each year in America if the Islamic faith really oppresses women and denies them rights? Have you ever pondered over whether or not the information you get from the media is actually reliable and accurate?

I know that muslim women do not feel the same way about their coverings as you do, in fact they feel the far from your opinions. Muslim women feel liberated when wearing the hijab, it allows people to treat them more like a person, we cannot deny that in these times and ages that women seem to be treated more like sex objects by men. The Hijab prevents this ensuring that these women are judged for who they are, their personality rather than other things that are less significant (i'm sure you understand what i am implying)
    I for one respect these women, standing up for there own rights, we say that western countries have freedom, right of thought and different opinions, well if these women wish to cover there head and whatsoever else, why do these 'freedom loving' nations want to opress them by forcing them not to wear as they please?
    u said it sis :yes:

ReputationRep:
    As an employer, I'd like to see the face of my employee

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.