Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This'll be my last post since you guys are drifting away from the topic completely and the OP is somwhere far far away :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahnaf.c)
    Absolutely not. Dont take my word for it, even by Islamic standards their reaction was not acceptable.

But you will not understand how sensitive the issue is for some Muslims. That has been proven with one man trying to kill the cartoonist. That should really tell you how offended they are.
    Okay. I'm glad you don't condone their actions. And I do understand why the cartoons are offensive, but I also believe that freedom of expression is more important than the right not to be offended. And whoever that man was is a prat. Trying to kill somebody for drawing a few cartoons? Just don't look at them if they offend you (not you, him). His sense of irony is seriously impaired. What was he trying to do? Prove the cartoonist right?
    This topic came up before and I previously mentioned that for some its worse than their mothers being raped. You cant expect rational, cool headed behaviour from people who'v been provoked in such a manner.
    Im not saying what they did was right. I'm saying im not at all surprised by the reaction it brought about.
    The reaction by the muslim population was ridiculous. Cartoons get drawn all the time. & to compare it to somebody raping your mother is downright stupid.

ReputationRep:
    "Similarly you will also say its ridiculous to compare cartoons with mothers being raped."

Too right! One is a picture, the other a human being.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honeyisgoodforyou)
    And the lady has a point in saying that Muslims don't force Christians and other religions from wearing the hijab in a Muslim country...
    * Saudi Arabia is another story, as THEY are an example of EXTREMISTS and something that Islam does not approve of. Like the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said that the best thing is to be in the MIDDLE, not TOO free and not too EXTREME....
    After all, Islam is simple and easy and doesn't force people to do things they don't like. God made everything easy for us....
    umm, quick point, Iran do the same as Saudi,
    but i agree with you, not the place of gov to say what you can and cant wear, i dont realy think that this is an issue of religion though, its not like france is specificly trying to stop people practicing Islam, it is surely a question of whether the state should be allowed to inter fear in matters of personal dress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahnaf.c)
    Totally agree.
    If they were really that innocuous, would have been a completely different issue. Instead they stood firm and refused to retract it. Their excuse: "We're not discriminating against Muslims, rather helping them integrate into our society."
    :rolleyes: Yea right
    Exactly and what's worse they also come out with that freedom of expression ********. I'd like to see them deny the holocaust and say the same thing and see if they get away with it. Because we all know,you offend them you go to jail, you offend Muslims you become immortalized.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)
    If you don't like it there then you can always go live in another country
    agreed, if they don't like it then they don't have to live in the country they can move back to the middle east, if they don't like the way the west is they don't have to come here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    Exactly and what's worse they also come out with that freedom of expression ********. I'd like to see them deny the holocaust and say the same thing and see if they get away with it. Because we all know,you offend them you go to jail, you offend Muslims you become immortalized.
    If somebody denied the Holocaust I doubt we'd see Jews burning down embassies and desecrating flags.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smoker)
    I respect your views, and I'm sure you aren't stupid, but please, of you do get a moment, read some more of the qu'ran, or ask a decent person who's a muslim about islam, because the reality is very different from the media-influenced perception. You can't interpret individual lines of the qu'ran without taking into respect the other lines that preceded it and follow it.
    My father is secular, and my mother is Muslim - I don't need to ask anyone about Islam because I have experienced it myself (I was Muslim for 17 years of my life). I believe this puts me in the best position possible when it comes to objectively comparing Islam and secularism. I am not against all Muslims, neither do I think all Muslims are evil (I do not believe my mother is a monster :p:) - but I take great issue with the religion as a whole.

(Original post by Smoker)
    Apostates are free to do whatever they want, and whilst hate mongering against Islam is hardly an admirable choice of career, its one's choice what views they convey. The hadeeth in Islam which discusses Apostasy and the killing of apostates must be read in its historical context to make any sense at all. Verses which could be percieved as being just as "brutal" can be found in every holy book of every religion if they're read out of context.
    Many, many Muslims would disagree with that - put that into the context of a Muslim-majority state/mob-mentality and I think a very dangerous situation can arise (as it has in places like Saudi Arabia).

Other religious books may include brutal content, but the difference between Islam and those religions is that no one today practices this brutality. The societies have simply "grown" out of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    If somebody denied the Holocaust I doubt we'd see Jews burning down embassies and desecrating flags.
    That isn't my point. It's a matter of principle.

ReputationRep:
    Y'all ******* posting in a troll thread

ReputationRep:
    Please explain how denying the murder of 6 million people is on par with drawing pictures mocking a religion's prophet.

ReputationRep:
    It's a matter of principle that burning down embassies because somebody dared to draw a picture of your 'Prophet' is completely ridiculous.

Be offended, sure. Try to kill the cartoonist? Hah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    It's a matter of principle that burning down embassies because somebody dared to draw a picture of your 'Prophet' is completely ridiculous.

Be offended, sure. Try to kill the cartoonist? Hah!
    No that's not it you superficial prat. It's the double standards. The fact the threat of prison is levied at someone who would insult a certain social group and not another. Some get more offended than other. I for one refuse to condemn them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lj106)
    Please explain how denying the murder of 6 million people is on par with drawing pictures mocking a religion's prophet.
    They're both an opinion but why is it that you go to jail for expressing one form of view and not the other as with the case of denying the holocaust.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good Apollo)
    Are you really that stupid? "how Islam should be interpreted", and what exactly makes you the authority on that? Because last time I checked, the vast majority of worldwide Muslims (i.e, those living in Muslims theocracies in the middle east) are VERY anti-semitic. The Quran has verses which specifically call for the killing of Jews ([9:29] "Fight against such of those who have been given the Scripture as believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, and forbid not that which Allah hath forbidden by His messenger, and follow not the Religion of Truth, until they pay the tribute readily, being brought low" ). And you have the nerve to stand up and say that that's not the real interpretation? Disgusting.

Oh by the way, you might want to check out this logical fallacy before you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman
    Can you, yourself understand and read the literature in the Quran? I doubt it, so what makes you the authority to take verses out of the Quran which are most likely took incredibly out of context or misintrepreted by publishers.

ReputationRep:
    No that's not it you superficial prat. It's the double standards. The fact the threat of prison is levied at someone who would insult a certain social group and not another. Some get more offended than other. I for one refuse to condemn them.
    Nice to see you still haven't learnt to refrain from personal insults during 'debate' :yy:

You refuse to condemn your fellow muslim brothers who believed they had the right to burn down embassies, desecrate flags and even attempt to murder the cartoonist? I do believe, Diaz, that that makes you the 'prat'.

ReputationRep:
    They're both an opinion but why is it that you go to jail for expressing one form of view and not the other as with the case of denying the holocaust.
    You honestly can't grasp the fact that the one (Holocaust) was an actual event where millions died, whereas it isn't even proven that your prophet even existed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    You honestly can't grasp the fact that the one (Holocaust) was an actual event where millions died, whereas it isn't even proven that your prophet even existed?
    No you're too thick or blind to see that this is not point. Why should I go to jail for simply saying the holocaust didn't exist if freedom of expression is a supposed value in the West.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inzamam99)
    What do we do with the indeginous British/French etc. people who have converted to Islam?
    Anyone who loves their burqa that much has plenty of other countries they can go to.

ReputationRep:
    No you're too thick or blind to see that this is not point. Why should I go to jail for simply saying the holocaust didn't exist if freedom of expression is supposed value in the West.
    I don't believe you should go to jail for denying the holocaust.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.