ReputationRep:
    Anyone resiting this exam on the 20th?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haaaza23)
    Anyone resiting this exam on the 20th?
    i am in the summer :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Oh well nevertheless, how is your Irish history? XD

Mee! Though it's Indian history. NOT looking forward to it. Don't know anything at the moment, and I especially didn't know anything last summer. Don't know how to revise for it! Should've taken a science instead...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by microfatcat)
    Mee! Though it's Indian history. NOT looking forward to it. Don't know anything at the moment, and I especially didn't know anything last summer. Don't know how to revise for it! Should've taken a science instead...
    Ah man! Well start of by knowing the key events I guess. Most of the exam is source technique, own knowledge only accounts for something like 16 marks (qB).

(Original post by haaaza23)
    Ah man! Well start of by knowing the key events I guess. Most of the exam is source technique, own knowledge only accounts for something like 16 marks (qB).
    I have a timeline and it's got like 60+ dates!! Dunno how I'm going to remember them all, what they were and when they were, much less how they affected everyone involved, or even get some essay practice in before Wednesday! I got a C first time round, you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by microfatcat)
    I have a timeline and it's got like 60+ dates!! Dunno how I'm going to remember them all, what they were and when they were, much less how they affected everyone involved, or even get some essay practice in before Wednesday! I got a C first time round, you?
    I suggest you look at the past papers then (i.e. from january 2009 ha - but also the specimen material stuff (I've got the january 2009+summer 2009 questions if you want them?))...because I think they set questions around a particular period, i.e. Ireland is usually gonna be either Home Rule, the Easter Rising or partitioning of Ireland for question B.

I got a B (70/100) in the summer. I got my exam paper back and I didn't speak about source 1 in question A...hence my low grade :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I got 17/20 on the last mock I did on Friday, and I got 33/40 for over Christmas, and before that my two essays were 19/20 and 35/40, so considering I rushed the Christmas one and was ill on Friday, I'm relatively confident.

I'm doing India, BTW.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teh User)
    I got 17/20 on the last mock I did on Friday, and I got 33/40 for over Christmas, and before that my two essays were 19/20 and 35/40, so considering I rushed the Christmas one and was ill on Friday, I'm relatively confident.

I'm doing India, BTW.
    wow, can you tell me about your structure for QA and B?

ReputationRep:
    Might as well put it here too. What I do is this.

For Question A, don't do an introduction, just start with a paragraph pinpointing evidence that agrees with the statement in the question in the sources and quote it, write about the quote and repeat. Before moving onto another source, explain the reliability of the source e.g Is it Propaganda or is it a letter so it's likely to be fairly reliable etc. Link it back to the question.

Then do another paragraph with evidence that challenges the statement in the question. As a guide, 1 and 1/2 sides of averaged size handwriting on A4 should be enough for these two paragraphs.

Lastly do a short conclusion. Make a judgement and say why you came to that judgement.

You don't get marks for your own knowledge on A questions, you can do them with just the sources.

Then Question B.

First, an introductory paragraph explaining the buildup to the question.

Then, same again, evidence which agrees with the view and challenges the view. Do a little plan on this one and highlight what evidence is for and what is against. Add some of your own knowledge after each explanation of a quote, if you can, but if not, add it in after explaining the sources. You should do about a page of A4 on agreeing with the statement and a page of A4 on disagreeing with the statement. Then add a conclusion in the same way before, and make a judgement and go into some detail about which factors you chose for that judgement and why.

Does this help, or were you looking for something else?

ReputationRep:
    this exam literally makes me want to die inside.
    i got an E last year, a C in the other paper making my overall a D.

i haven't been giving practice papers, any extra help.. nothing.

this is just awesome considering i want to do history at uni..

ReputationRep:
    Might as well put it here too. What I do is this.

For Question A, don't do an introduction, just start with a paragraph pinpointing evidence that agrees with the statement in the question in the sources and quote it, write about the quote and repeat. Before moving onto another source, explain the reliability of the source e.g Is it Propaganda or is it a letter so it's likely to be fairly reliable etc. Link it back to the question.

Then do another paragraph with evidence that challenges the statement in the question. As a guide, 1 and 1/2 sides of averaged size handwriting on A4 should be enough for these two paragraphs.

Lastly do a short conclusion. Make a judgement and say why you came to that judgement.

You don't get marks for your own knowledge on A questions, you can do them with just the sources.

Then Question B.

First, an introductory paragraph explaining the buildup to the question.

Then, same again, evidence which agrees with the view and challenges the view. Do a little plan on this one and highlight what evidence is for and what is against. Add some of your own knowledge after each explanation of a quote, if you can, but if not, add it in after explaining the sources. You should do about a page of A4 on agreeing with the statement and a page of A4 on disagreeing with the statement. Then add a conclusion in the same way before, and make a judgement and go into some detail about which factors you chose for that judgement and why.

Does this help, or were you looking for something else?
    so, you've kept it really basic? Say the (b) question was one reason given, and then the other side of it would be other possible factors - would you include other factors from your own knowledge or limit to the sources' other factors? [i'm doing option A]

ReputationRep:
    You sure about a whole page on agreeing and one on disagreeing sounds a bit gcse. Surely 3 paragraphs following 3 major bits full of pros and cons with sources is better, edexcel dont give massive amounts of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tristan1000)
    You sure about a whole page on agreeing and one on disagreeing sounds a bit gcse. Surely 3 paragraphs following 3 major bits full of pros and cons with sources is better, edexcel dont give massive amounts of time.
    But it's best to use the sources as a set..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unamed)
    so, you've kept it really basic? Say the (b) question was one reason given, and then the other side of it would be other possible factors - would you include other factors from your own knowledge or limit to the sources' other factors? [i'm doing option A]
    Nearly half of your marks on the (b) question are for your own knowledge, so make sure to get your own knowledge in on both sides, to maintain a balanced argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tristan1000)
    That can skew the argument though so the essay may not appear balanced and it may not answer the question. Also, you're not meant to solely use the sources,you're meant to add your own knowledge in there, and if there aren't many opportunities to get it in and you follow that style you might lose some marks.

Often the simplest structure is the best structure, the structure links in with the question, evidence that agrees, evidence that disagrees.

That's my opinion anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Nearly half of your marks on the (b) question is for your own knowledge, so make sure to get your own knowledge in on both sides, to maintain a balanced argument.
    All right! (I shall take your word for law, because my own structure is embarrassing)

Good luck tomorrow!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 19, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.