Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys :]

This is probably not the first post the mention this.. i could not find a proper reply to this so i'd thought i'll make a seperate thread on it to make my life easier lol

So i recieved a letter through the post today from Royal Holloway.. they invited me for an interview and to take part in a small laboratory exercise. I'm fine with the interview, i'm just worried about the laboratory exercise! :unsure: (i'm really BAD with practicals! *siigh* smh..)

Would anyone have any ideas about the laboratory exercise? what it might include? is it more knowledge or practical skill based? Should i revisit possible conclusions they might look for with different practicals? :erm:

someone pleeeeeeeeease enlighten me? :puppyeyes:

:danceboy: (sorry i just found this smiley so cool :shy2: )

ReputationRep:
    Seriously is there NO ONE who had a biomed interview + lab exercise at Royal Holloway?? :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilPrii3)
    Hey guys :]

This is probably not the first post the mention this.. i could not find a proper reply to this so i'd thought i'll make a seperate thread on it to make my life easier lol

So i recieved a letter through the post today from Royal Holloway.. they invited me for an interview and to take part in a small laboratory exercise. I'm fine with the interview, i'm just worried about the laboratory exercise! :unsure: (i'm really BAD with practicals! *siigh* smh..)

Would anyone have any ideas about the laboratory exercise? what it might include? is it more knowledge or practical skill based? Should i revisit possible conclusions they might look for with different practicals? :erm:

someone pleeeeeeeeease enlighten me? :puppyeyes:

:danceboy: (sorry i just found this smiley so cool :shy2: )
    guess not but cool smiley

ReputationRep:
    Hawwww :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hi , Ive got an invitaton for an interview and practical too - i have no idea what to expect! Would be grateful if those who have already been can enlighten us !

Im going for mine on 24th Feb...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlnextdoor30)
    Hi , Ive got an invitaton for an interview and practical too - i have no idea what to expect! Would be grateful if those who have already been can enlighten us !

Im going for mine on 24th Feb...
    i got mine on the 10th March, should give me enough time to go over anything they might ask me in the mean time i'm going to see if i can find anyone else who can enlighten me with this laboratory exercise.. i dont want to email the university because i'm quite sure they'll just mention 'its an informal test and supposed to be 'fun' and enjoyable :sigh: it just might be that but i dont want to do anything stupid! lol.

i'll let you know if i can find anything else on it. Goodluck on your interview! :wink2:

ReputationRep:
    i got mine on the 10th March, should give me enough time to go over anything they might ask me in the mean time i'm going to see if i can find anyone else who can enlighten me with this laboratory exercise.. i dont want to email the university because i'm quite sure they'll just mention 'its an informal test and supposed to be 'fun' and enjoyable :sigh: it just might be that but i dont want to do anything stupid! lol.

i'll let you know if i can find anything else on it. Goodluck on your interview! :wink2:

Aww thanks Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I applied to Royal Holloway to do Zoology and I have to do a practical too! I'm really nervous! Any updates on what kind of practical it'll be? Also, will it be the same for everyone? I'm struggling to think of a practical they could give for Zoology applicants...

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, i know you are all worried. But to put your minds at rest the lab exercise is nothing hard, i had my interview on Feb 10th. and basically all the students applying to RHUL for biological sciences were split up into two groups, those doing molecular biosience and those doing organismal science.

I applied for biochemistry so had to do the molecular bioscience "lab exercise" and there were no experiments or diffuculty, it was literally like a chem/bio school lesson with a powerpoint and a little card game to do with genetics. And as for the organismal bioscience, they got to eat chocolate!!

Guys, don't worry it really isnt a big deal, and everyone is just overly nice which was a shock!!!

ReputationRep:
    I got a interview on the 24th, I just got the informaton pack it says Laboratory exercise : Understanding Mendelian inheritance. Anyone got the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mej)
    Hey guys, i know you are all worried. But to put your minds at rest the lab exercise is nothing hard, i had my interview on Feb 10th. and basically all the students applying to RHUL for biological sciences were split up into two groups, those doing molecular biosience and those doing organismal science.

I applied for biochemistry so had to do the molecular bioscience "lab exercise" and there were no experiments or diffuculty, it was literally like a chem/bio school lesson with a powerpoint and a little card game to do with genetics. And as for the organismal bioscience, they got to eat chocolate!!

Guys, don't worry it really isnt a big deal, and everyone is just overly nice which was a shock!!!
    Thanks! That put me a lil at ease. I thought they were going to test our knowledge through some practical exercises or see how well we cope in practical situations etc..

Would you have any tips for the interview? what kind of questions would they ask? :unsure:

(Original post by The_Dark_Knight)
    I got a interview on the 24th, I just got the informaton pack it says Laboratory exercise : Understang Mendelian inheritance. Anyone got the same?
    Do all of us get an information pack? :| ..My interview is on March 10th, i havnt received any information pack yet. I hope i get the same!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! That put me a lil at ease. I thought they were going to test our knowledge through some practical exercises or see how well we cope in practical situations etc..

Would you have any tips for the interview? what kind of questions would they ask? :unsure:

Do all of us get an information pack? :| ..My interview is on March 10th, i havnt received any information pack yet. I hope i get the same!
    The interview was pretty informal, the guy who interviewed me just asked what I was interested in course wise, why i chose RHUL etc.
    Except it caught me by surprise when he started to ask questions about what i was learning in biology, questions testing my knowledge. But it was fine in the end and i got an offer two days later!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mej)
    The interview was pretty informal, the guy who interviewed me just asked what I was interested in course wise, why i chose RHUL etc.
    Except it caught me by surprise when he started to ask questions about what i was learning in biology, questions testing my knowledge. But it was fine in the end and i got an offer two days later!!
    Please can you tell us more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mej)
    oh thank youuuu ..and congrats on the offer!
    Did u get an information pack also before your lab exercise?

ReputationRep:
    I got a interview on the 24th, I just got the informaton pack it says Laboratory exercise : Understang Mendelian inheritance. Anyone got the same?
    Hey how did the interview and lab exercise go?

ReputationRep:
    Hey how did the interview and lab exercise go?
    I just realised I spelt understanding wrong, anyway the interview was fine until I was asked what topic I was currently studying. Then I was asked a question about the topic .

As for the lab practical it was nothing, just listening to a presentation and completing a few questions which won't be taken into consideration in deciding if you are given a offer

I got my offer today in the post :woo:

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer today as well :woo: dont no what it is yet though as ucas hasn't updated yet.

The interview was a bit horrible for me, I was asked about what i was currently studying too... i dont remember making much sense - but if you prepare for it (unlike me) you wont have this problem. The practical is really nothing - a card game then answering a couple of questions on it - not sure what the point of it is really.

I think since you got an interview, they want to give you an offer, and since i've not yet heard a person get rejected after interview, that they just interview you to see how much you want the offer so that they dont waste an offer..

So just relax and be yourself

ReputationRep:
    Aww congrats you guys!! :clap2:

Thanks for the advice and letting me know how it went I've got less than 2 weeks to prepare, i think i'll start by revising my current topic i'm doing for biology :lolwut: Wish me luck! and thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    I just realised I spelt understanding wrong, anyway the interview was fine until I was asked what topic I was currently studying. Then I was asked a question about the topic .

As for the lab practical it was nothing, just listening to a presentation and completing a few questions which won't be taken into consideration in deciding if you are given a offer

I got my offer today in the post :woo:

Good luck!

Thanks.. i got the offer today through the post!! :woo:
    Still waiting UCAS to update it though! x

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.. i got the offer today through the post!! :woo:
    Still waiting UCAS to update it though! x
    Congrats, :woo: and well done I knew you will make it! I think eveyone who posted a question received an offer

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 14, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.