Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Charlski)
    To be honest I think it's a bit limited. A fair number of people who don't have any expertise themselves either don't know someone who knows what they're looking at with cars or (as we're students) aren't going to fork out for an AA inspection of the car. I personally think that if this is going to be refined into a proper reference thread, perhaps a few of the easier to spot mechanical failings should be pointed out.
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

That list leaves a lot out and some of the stuff on it doesn't seem that important anyway; in the kind of budgets that most of us students will be paying (£1k - £5k) I would say that a test drive and thorough check of the car is far more important than... a warranty, which will probably be expired anyway... a full service history, which doesn't by no means guarantees you a problem-free car... and an AA/RAC check, which you can perform most of yourself!

I think the most important thing on that list is a HPI check to confirm its not stolen, written off or has outstanding finance.

There are plenty of things that you can inspect and test without needing to understand them - just simply know what to do and what to look out for as bad signs.

(Original post by Minardi)
    I agree there, but its a start. I want to get some more of this kind of stuff refinded into Wiki articles, but I haven't got the time to write it all myself! I'm just trying to sort stuff bit by bit...

Hehe, know the feeling. I'm supposed to be writing two essays and editing a car magazine at the moment! Anyway, as long as the option is there to add more in, then the version we have so far would be fine as a starting point

I reckon the AA basic inspection is even more important if buying privately as you wont get any warrenty and the car is more likely to be a lemon, the inspection costs £140 which is alot less than potential repairs even if the cars only worth 1k.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.