The Student Room Group
S2 is less work, only 4 chapters...3 of which are really easy. It's definately less tedious, no time consuming graph/diagrams work like in S1. It's short and concise, it has the added element of binomial expansion and integration in it so it's got a bit of more core maths work involved.

I think having done S1, you will find S2 much easier to get to grips with compared to starting with M1...it's a totally different type of maths and may take you a while for it to click.
S2 has much less of the box plot/histogram stuff, but has a lot more of the harder normal distribution/probability bits, that I thought were pretty hard... (this is for Edexcel btw)

Its not that bad though, I guess, once you get though all the material, and in the real exam, most of the ques are very similar to previous years

ummm, M1 is raeally not that bad, especially if you've done physics, or have a good spacial awareness sort of mindset, If I had the choice, I would definently take M1, but up to you! Good luckkkkk :smile:
Reply 3
paperflower
S2 has much less of the box plot/histogram stuff, but has a lot more of the harder normal distribution/probability bits, that I thought were pretty hard... (this is for Edexcel btw)

Its not that bad though, I guess, once you get though all the material, and in the real exam, most of the ques are very similar to previous years

ummm, M1 is raeally not that bad, especially if you've done physics, or have a good spacial awareness sort of mindset, If I had the choice, I would definently take M1, but up to you! Good luckkkkk :smile:

I do Edexcel too...If the stats has less histograms/drawing etc i may be fine with it...so maybe S2 will be bearable.

As of M1...i did additional...so kinematics Ive met before...I asked to self teach M1 and got a straight no...so I'm stuck with S1 :frown:
Reply 4
S2 is a lot more boring.
Reply 5
I would say that S2 is harder but not by a long way. The fact that it's only 4 chapters (for OCR MEI anyway) makes it easy in my opiniion. I should really let you know what I think of the module after the 25th of Jan :wink:
Reply 6
rc18
S2 is a lot more boring.

How come?
Reply 7
pretty much the same in terms of difficulty
Reply 8
I wish I couldve done S2 and not M1. I had a choice between M1 and D1 but didnt really like both so I thought I should do something id seen before (I did AS Physics but failed at it) and now I fail at M1 too.
matt_copas
At the moment I Dislike S1 quite a lot...i dont like drawing boxplots and histograms (i can never work out a decent scale >.<)...so what's S2 like? Or should I see if i can do M1 next year?

Thanks in advance :smile:

[edexcel] S2 is much easier than S1, there are wayy less chapters you just have to grasp formulae again and get used to more distribution tables, binomial this time but i think youll be cool with it. :smile:
It's easier than S1 because there is less tedious junk to learn. If you know your distributions, it's can be a very nice paper (do note the higher grade boundaries generally though).
Reply 11
matt_copas
How come?

I personally don't find stats interesting and a lot of the stuff is pretty mundane but quite easy which gets tedious. I prefer core looooads more.

Latest