Turn on thread page Beta

How to make style stay in place? watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    On the rare occasion that I try to style my hair, it never stays in place for more than 10 minutes!

My routine is like so:

Tigi S-factor shine serum
    Tresemme heat defence spray
    Wave/curl/use some form of heat on my hair
    L'Oreal Elnett hairspray

Where am I going wrong?

Perhaps it has something to do with my hair being extremely frizzy and dry?

ReputationRep:
    Normally extremely frizzy or dry hair holds a style well. I think you might be conflicting your products.

Firstly, the secret to style longevity is controlling it from wet to dry. If you are trying to curl you should apply a mousse, comb through and try to curl on bendy rods. Let the hair dry naturally and then finish with a tong spraying each section as you wind. This is the best way to keep a curl in the hair.

If the curl is falling out it might mean your hair just doesn't hold a curl well. This is what perms were designed for (to enable people to retain a style between washes). The idea of perms has been hijected by the concept you have to walk around with the perm showing, but in actual fact the real idea is you have the hair permed and then when you wash and style the hair - that style stays between washes. It's absolutely true the style doesn't budge. If you have the type of hair which doesn't retain a style (in the long term) a perm is the only way you'd get the hair to stay in place as it changes the internal structure of the bonds so when you blow dry, curl and set the hair it stays put.

Its been a real mission trying to explain to people this is how all the celebrities have the hairstyles they do.

Regards

Scott

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottCornwall)
    Normally extremely frizzy or dry hair holds a style well. I think you might be conflicting your products.

Firstly, the secret to style longevity is controlling it from wet to dry. If you are trying to curl you should apply a mousse, comb through and try to curl on bendy rods. Let the hair dry naturally and then finish with a tong spraying each section as you wind. This is the best way to keep a curl in the hair.

If the curl is falling out it might mean your hair just doesn't hold a curl well. This is what perms were designed for (to enable people to retain a style between washes). The idea of perms has been hijected by the concept you have to walk around with the perm showing, but in actual fact the real idea is you have the hair permed and then when you wash and style the hair - that style stays between washes. It's absolutely true the style doesn't budge. If you have the type of hair which doesn't retain a style (in the long term) a perm is the only way you'd get the hair to stay in place as it changes the internal structure of the bonds so when you blow dry, curl and set the hair it stays put.

Its been a real mission trying to explain to people this is how all the celebrities have the hairstyles they do.

Regards

Scott
    Thats interesting Scott! I had always thought of people with perms to be one of them poodle heads! The word "perm" and the picture in my head just reminded me of them olden day ringlet styled hair... but actually I remember a few years ago my cousin had a perm done, and it was lovely... nothing that I had imagined; very loose and natural looking curls.

But do perms do immense damage to the hair? Do they last long and expensive? It could be worthwhile for a temporary change in style I think!

ReputationRep:
    Nevermind, I just read your reply on the other thread regarding my perm questions
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi MsP

There are so many myths about perms. Firstly, perms only do really bad damage to bleached hair. The two technologies are not compatible and if someone has bleach on their hair the perm will go frizzy and break.

Secondly, we have lived in an era where people have gotten used to feeling perfect hair when they leave a salon, however perms are investment services. When a perm is first done the hair literally goes into shock and behaves very strangely - it doesn't move. Everyone HATES their hair when its first permed. However, after a few washes and a week or so the hair goes back to feeling like hair again and all of a sudden you have this ability to style or curl the hair (on top of the wet perm) and it will hold.

Over the last 10 years the only types of perms which have been peddled are those silly 6 week perms and these aren't worth the bother. You still have to suffer the first couple of weeks of the hair feeling odd and then after that you get maybe two or three weeks of movement and it falls out - leaving kinks and bulk behind. In my view - have a perm done curly and firm or not at all.

The average a perm should last is 4 months, and a good spiral perm on long hair will last 18 months to 2 years. Perms do dry the hair out initially (as they strip the oil off the hair) however this returns after a week or so and then you are left with a healthy curl pattern.

If you have course, glossy hair (particularly dark) then a firm alkaline perm will look really good in the hair and can be washed and worn (as people believe all perms should). However most hair textures (particularly blonde) will need to style over the top of their perms. Best tip for long fine, silky blonde or fair hair is to have a good firm perm and then set your hair on rollers (not velcro rollers though!) with mousse and leave to dry naturally. When you remove the rollers and brush the curl out, you will have loose cascading curls which last until you next wash.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.