Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just a general question.

I tend to notice that the majority of people's first choice Uni tends to be -exactly- within their grade boundary. For example, my friend has applied to an economic course that requires AAB, and he himself has AAB, the exact grades.

But for my first choice Uni, they require BBC, but I am predicted BBB. Has anyone elses first choice Uni required less in their entry requirements, then you are actually predicted/have?

ReputationRep:
    usually most people go for a first choice uni that will stretch them to achieve.

ReputationRep:
    You should go to the uni you like best, rather than the one which offers your predicted grades

ReputationRep:
    I applied after I had my A Level results. I got ABC and the course I'm on requires a minimum of BCC. Personally, I think the entry requirements for my course should be higher.

OP, the course you want to do requires BBC and you're predicted BBB. There's only one grade difference there, it's hardly much. It's good because if you don't achieve your predicted grades, you'll still get in... I don't really see why it's important...?

ReputationRep:
    The only uni that wanted the same grades as I have at AS and are predicted at A2 rejected me...
    So my first choice will either be 1 or two grades lower than I'm predicted but I'm not overly confident about getting my predictions so this is probably a good thing...

ReputationRep:
    People tend to put in a university which stretches them as they have an insurance choice to fall back on should they fail. I went, last year, for one which exceeded my predictions because I felt my predictions were lower than what I could achieve. I was right in doing this, as I got the grades for the firm choice. Often people will select a university which is asking for something they feel is within their grasp but cannot necessarily be relied upon happening.
    But really, it shouldn't matter. You should go for what you like best, for whats best for your subject, which you feel happiest with. Often people go with higher offers because they feel this means its a better course than others and often its not the case. For example, I think the request from Leicester for History and Politics of BBB is low considering the quality the course offers.
    Don't pay too much attention to it, in all. Just be comfortable with your choice and that's all that matters. Good Luck with everything

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.