Turn on thread page Beta

Do i really need a moisturizer? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am 17 years old and i have naturally soft skin..i mean its as soft as baby's skin when i dont put anything on my face..its something in the family..blessed with soft skin. But i actually started getting a lot of pimples 2 years back and i feel that it is due to over-moisturizing plus stress. So reduce all this, i have decided to cut down on dairy products( i only drink milk everday but wont be doing it anymore), wash my face with an exfoliating cleanser every morning and evening, only use a sun-screen on my face in the morning. Since the area around my nose is slightly dry, i might use a gentle moisturizer there at times. I am also planning to eat healthily from today onwards. Eg- loads of fresh juices and salads and stuff like that. Plus try eat as less junk food as possible. So what do you think about this? Any other suggestion will be really appreaciated.

PS - the creme i used to use before where Olay and Johnson's 24 hour moisture cream.

PSS- this is only for the face!

ReputationRep:
    Sun cream may be you problem, try moisteriser with SPF instead!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Well do whatever your skin likes. Yours is different to everyone elses. Try different things and see what works best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleApricot)
    Sun cream may be you problem, try moisteriser with SPF instead!
    I rarely used sunscreen because i used to stay indoor most of the time..i started using it recently and i think ill continue with it. I was thinking of mixing a bit of moisturizer with sunscreen, what do you think . I think the moisturizers with spfs wont be as effective as i want it to be...most of them have only till spf 15 but the place where i live (middle-east), the sun is blazing hot so i think i need a one with higher spf. Any recommendations?

ReputationRep:
    Everyones skin is different and it took me ages to find the right routine. - I just moisturise once a day now because I have combination skin. - A real headache!!!

Just keep trying different things, but try to avoid harsh products and stick to simple stuff like Simple I guess. Once you know your routine you can start to be a bit more adventurous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ms_Flames)
    I rarely used sunscreen because i used to stay indoor most of the time..i started using it recently and i think ill continue with it. I was thinking of mixing a bit of moisturizer with sunscreen, what do you think . I think the moisturizers with spfs wont be as effective as i want it to be...most of them have only till spf 15 but the place where i live (middle-east), the sun is blazing hot so i think i need a one with higher spf. Any recommendations?
    You're definitely best off mixing regular sunscreen with moisturiser if that's the case - many of these moisturisers that are advertised as containing SPF only contain it in really small quantities.

ReputationRep:
    i find that suncream causes spots. just use a good not harsh moisturizer. i can recommend biotherm aquapower for normal skin.thats for guys

ReputationRep:
    I think your cereal is going to be dry in the morning. Yuck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neverstandstill)
    I think your cereal is going to be dry in the morning. Yuck.
    Soya milk!

ReputationRep:
    Try to find products that are oil free.
    I definately support you cutting down on your milk, because Havard Medical students found a POTENTIAL link between Milk and acne http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...ne-447979.html.

Also, drink plenty of water, this will help keep you naturally hydrated if you don't want to use much moisturiser. I do however, recommend an SPF factor inside an oil free moisturiser.

Try taking multivitamins or zinc tablets, because they're great for keeping healthy skin and bones.

Goodluck!
    Have a successfull new year!
    From Danny :]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazzup)
    i find that suncream causes spots. just use a good not harsh moisturizer. i can recommend biotherm aquapower for normal skin.thats for guys
    Suncreams should only make your face break out if you use the ones that are intended for your body! Use the ones INTENDED for your face and funnily enough you should be fine :rolleyes: Vichy and La Roche Posay do some excellent ones for the face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Suncreams should only make your face break out if you use the ones that are intended for your body! Use the ones INTENDED for your face and funnily enough you should be fine :rolleyes: Vichy and La Roche Posay do some excellent ones for the face.
    I agree. Perhaps try a very lightweight non-greasy moisturiser with sunscreen? RoC make a nice one with SPF15 called Hydra+ Bioactive.

Also, if you're cutting out dairy, just be sure you're still getting lots of calcium. (Not for skin, but for good bone health! Women especially need plenty of calcium - the equivalent to about 3 cups of milk per day).

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.