Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Has anyone got Monofibre hair extensions done? I am referring to the Dome brand pioneered by Antenna hair salon in London, you can also get them in Bricktop in Manchester.
    What are they like to wear and care for? Do they have any of that synthetic hair shininess or do they look completely natural?

ReputationRep:
    Surprise Surprise I've had them in my hair! About 8 years ago. I had them done in Antenna in Kensington.

Firstly, you can't use heats with them otherwise they turn to wool and look really odd. You have to unpick them everytime you shower (or else they mat together) the bobbles can be itchy and its weird feeling them everytime you run your hands through your hair.

However, Antenna are very good at doing them and nobody could tell I had them in (I had them applied throughout the top of my hair to give floppy heavyness). If you use dry shampoo on them (like Batiste) they won't look barbie like. It's actually only blondes that tend to look false with synethic hair as it doesn't shine well. However, Antenna are really good at blending the colours to match your own.

If you go to a salon who isn't experienced with monofibre they will apply to bigger bonds and they start to clump up and look like string hanging from your hair. My advice is, if you want them to look good go to a salon expert in using them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottCornwall)
    Surprise Surprise I've had them in my hair! About 8 years ago. I had them done in Antenna in Kensington.

Firstly, you can't use heats with them otherwise they turn to wool and look really odd. You have to unpick them everytime you shower (or else they mat together) the bobbles can be itchy and its weird feeling them everytime you run your hands through your hair.

However, Antenna are very good at doing them and nobody could tell I had them in (I had them applied throughout the top of my hair to give floppy heavyness). If you use dry shampoo on them (like Batiste) they won't look barbie like. It's actually only blondes that tend to look false with synethic hair as it doesn't shine well. However, Antenna are really good at blending the colours to match your own.

If you go to a salon who isn't experienced with monofibre they will apply to bigger bonds and they start to clump up and look like string hanging from your hair. My advice is, if you want them to look good go to a salon expert in using them.
    Hey,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Can you blowdry them even? I have looked at different websites of salons that do them but they all have the exact same description and information on them.
    Cheryl Cole apparently was wearing them most of last year and her hair always looked great. I never knew her extensions were synthetic until Antenna's stylist said so.

There is synthetic hair you can get that can be styled with 200'C heat but it is not as lightweight as Monofibre and I'd have to put it in myself.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't believe Cherly Cole was wearing them, I would have said her extensions were Racoon human hair extensions. Denise Van Outen always used to wear Antenna Extensions. Monofibre extensions are much better for people who have fine hair as human hair is very heavy and applying human hair extensions to fine hair can cause the natural hair to break.

You can blow-dry them but you have to do it on a really cool setting. If you put them on a warm/hot setting they go like wool and frizz. However, the hair doesn't need blowdrying in the same way once you have them in because the monofibre texture weights your own hair texture down so if you blast them dry on a cool shot the hair tends to look pretty good. You could probably get one heat application out of the monofibre extensions - so if you wanted them curly and applied a low temperature curling tong to the hair it would curl, however this curl would be permanent. If you applied more heat to them (to remove the curl) it would then start melting and looking odd.

The synthetic hair you are talking about doesn't look entirely realistic. Especially because you have to apply it yourself. if I'm giving you honest advice hair extensions only look good when they are applied in tiny bonds by an expert. You can go in on a rotation thing, where you continually keep adding small extensions to your hair all the time so the whole head never needs re-doing, but this requires understanding of it.

Application of hair extensions isn't actually a technical/hairdressing skill (meaning you're not taught it at City and Guilds level to qualify as a hairdresser). Therefore anyone can learn to do it.

You can buy a Monofibre training kit from Prostyles for around £250 (which includes training video, heat clamp and monofibre hair bails). If there are a few of you who want to have hair extensions it may be worth you all learning to do it and applying your own? If you are doing a full head of hair you need around 3 bails of hair and they cost about £15 a bail. But (after the kit) that would be your only cost.

You can also achieve brilliant fashion effects by applying purples and blues extensions to hair and blending in. It could prove a nice little earner if you are a student?

Regards

Scott

ReputationRep:
    this is an old thread, but anyone know anywhere in the south east that does a half head of these? how much roughly should i look at paying?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 16, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.