Krakow Watch

channy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Me and my mates are planning to go there this summer, and I was just wondering, has anyone else been there? We are planning to stay at a hostel, can anyone recommend one?
Last year we went to Prague and stayed at the Czech Inn . That hostel was amazing, great showers, and I loved the pillows! Is there one similar in Krakow?

Also, what is the culture like? Are there many tourists? I remember getting a few dodgy looks at clubs and bars in Prague (possibly because I'm not caucasian? :dontknow:), but I guess there are dodgy people in every country.

Anyway, what is the night life like? I remember Karlovy L獺zně in Prague, and that was ******* amazing, especially the Golden Oldies floor, my god, the floor was changing colour! I can't really explain it so here's a picture

Spoiler:
Show

Cheers
charlieb89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I went with my friend the summer before last. It is a really nice city. We stayed in a hotel just outside of the city...the hotel was really nice and not that expensive...i think it was called The Orient Hotel. I think it was used mainly by business people and for conferences and stuff.

We didn't really go for the night life. But the few bars we did go to were nice, had live music and the alcohol wasn't too expensive. The food was also really really cheap...although this was two years ago. The people seemed friendly enough, there seemed to be quite a few tourists.

I would really recommend the saltmines for a day/afternoon trip. They were amazing!
metro2610
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Going there with college next month for history.
Heard it's a great place with cultural history and the booze is cheap, but can't really review the place yet.

Can you hold fire until February and I'll get back to you? :dontknow:
xoxo_GossipGirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I visited Krakow for a few days in the summer, and loved it so much I'm going back for 5 weeks in March to get my CELTA qualification, before travelling around the rest of Poland for a couple of weeks, so I'd definitely recommend it.

We stayed at Greg and Toms Hostel and it was one of, if not my absolute, favourite hostel. It's right opposite the train station, really central, the staff are amazingly friendly (they came clubbing with us twice), they have free breakfast, and they have something planned every night. Free polish meals, vodka tasting etc. On Friday night it's hotdogs and mad dogs, and after free hotdogs, for 25pln, a big group of you all sit round a table in the kitchen and have a mad dog shot drinking competition, the winner is the one who drinks the most shots, i only managed 14 but the winner had 32!!! And then they take you clubbing afterwards. So yep, I'd definitely recommend the hostel. We made some amazing friends there too.

Krakow is a lovely city and there's plenty to see and do, lots of gorgeous churches and the castle, don't forget to visit the Dragons Den too! I'd definitely recommend going to Auschwitz, it's horrifying but something I think everyone should see. I didn't go on the salt mines tour but heard good things about it so will be going when I go back.

Try some of the local beer, and vodka, they do an amazing honey vodka. One pub we went to had a special sink in the mens for throwing up in lol. Get a litre of beer, it's huge!! Not the best photo of me but I think the beer looks rather impressive!

I've rambled on enough but if you have any questions I'll try and answer them
Colbert
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Would it be worth a trip in mid-winter? I.e. next week.

Or is the city and Auschwitz better seen in the summer?
schpanzy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey,

I went a couple of years ago - its an amazing place. We stayed at the Wyspianski, which is in the centre of the main town and really close to the main square. So great if you want to be close the shops/bars... There is a new shopping centre 10 minutes walk away which is nice also on the main square there is a club called Faust which was quite big, we mainly went to the tiny cellar bars which were cool and some quite unusual, although you couldnt really tell what it would be like before you got in there if you know what I mean because they are all quite hidden away! - As a group of girls we were worried about ending up in a sleazy stip club place!
Other then that the Old Jewish quater is apparently where its at night life wise, and I think this is where the cheaper hostels are?
I would second the Auschwitz visit, the significance didn't really hit me until months after but I'm so grateful to have been able to visit whilst it is still open to the public - as its getting older its best to see it while you still can. As for the salt mines, didn't go but heard bad things!
channy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Thanks for the replies Will be definately checking out those hostels on the interwebz.
Awesome-o
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Get one just off the main square. I didn't stay there, but from net reviews and people I talked to in Krakow the Pink Flamingo or something is the best hostel.

I went on my own and met people there and went out to Cien (the poshest club, went on a weekday, they don't like the look of Brits on Saturdays...), Prozak (no problems getting in, awesome house tunes on a banging sound system) and some club on 3 floors (bit gay in parts).

I also enjoyed the Lizard King bar. It's a rock bar with live music and then rock/metal DJ. Very impressive inside, like a theatre.

Jew town has nice bars with character too.

Oh yeah, and enjoy the girls, they're pretty much all 9/10s, and they check you out on the streets making you think you have something on your face!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (634)
91.09%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (62)
8.91%

Watched Threads