Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How hard is it? Is it just a case of just working really hard you're very likely to get an A? I'm probably going to get a B at GCSE lit but I probably could of tried a lot harder..

Also, is there a lot if any "presentations" or things you have to do in front of people?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say English Literature A-level is that difficult. It's mainly a case of understanding the texts, being able to cross reference, bringing in wider interpretations, and following exam technique for questions.

I don't think there's any assessed presentations you have to do, unless of course it's a class activity.

ReputationRep:
    I do EngLit Alevel on OCR and there are no presentations...thats the kind of thing you might do for language but literature is purely just essays.
    Its not hard if you enjoy the books but I know the examiners can be quite subjective with their marking. A lot of people who were expected to get A's at AS didnt and the teachers were slighlty confused...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly704)
    I do EngLit Alevel on OCR and there are no presentations...thats the kind of thing you might do for language but literature is purely just essays.
    Its not hard if you enjoy the books but I know the examiners can be quite subjective with their marking. A lot of people who were expected to get A's at AS didnt and the teachers were slighlty confused...
    That's what I'm worried about.. my other subjects are maths/sciences/econ which are more a case of.. the question is right or not.. with essays it's whoever is marking it that makes a personal judgment if it's "right" or not.. I do enjoy reading though which will be a great +

Is it ONLY essays? How much is coursework and how much is in an exam? When you say it's only essays does that mean you will read a book/text then get a question like "How does XXXX use XXXXX to show XXXXX" or is there anything else?

ReputationRep:
    I would say it is quite difficult to get an A in my personal experience. I took the AS exam last June and got 83% in the written exam and only got awarded a B in the paper (normally would have been an A but the boundaries must have been changed) so now I'm having to resit. As long as you are OK at memorising lots and lots of quotes then you should be alright, its more the sheer amount of work you have to do (particularly at A2) thats the difficult bit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_123)
    That's what I'm worried about.. my other subjects are maths/sciences/econ which are more a case of.. the question is right or not.. with essays it's whoever is marking it that makes a personal judgment if it's "right" or not.. I do enjoy reading though which will be a great +

Is it ONLY essays? How much is coursework and how much is in an exam? When you say it's only essays does that mean you will read a book/text then get a question like "How does XXXX use XXXXX to show XXXXX" or is there anything else?

Well in OCR, its 40% coursework and 60% exam. For my AS coursework, I studied three texts and wrote two essays, for Alevel I study three texts and do one longer essay.

My AS exam was two essays on two texts and my Alevel exam is one essay on one text and one essay as a comparison between two texts.

Overall, as long as you support your point well enough an examiner cant give you a C if its A standard. Just make sure you answer the question! Its easy to go off the point if you know what I mean...
    And in general the questions are pretty straight forward yeah

I do love english though so Id still recommend it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly704)
    Well in OCR, its 40% coursework and 60% exam. For my AS coursework, I studied three texts and wrote two essays, for Alevel I study three texts and do one longer essay.

My AS exam was two essays on two texts and my Alevel exam is one essay on one text and one essay as a comparison between two texts.

Overall, as long as you support your point well enough an examiner cant give you a C if its A standard. Just make sure you answer the question! Its easy to go off the point if you know what I mean...
    And in general the questions are pretty straight forward yeah

I do love english though so Id still recommend it
    Ok thanks, one more question.. is it a lot of work? I'm thinking of doing pretty hard subjects, does it take a lot of time?

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks, one more question.. is it a lot of work? I'm thinking of doing pretty hard subjects, does it take a lot of time?
    We did a 'synoptic' module on WWI literature (an idea that is used on a couple of the exam boards I think - we did AQA B). This module meant reading a wide range of literature - basically any drama, poetry, novels, articles, diary entries, etc. that you could find and thought were relevant - and did take a lot of time.

It's also very likely that there will be a lot of memorising of quotes to do as it's improbable that you'll be allowed to take texts into all of your exams (I think we were allowed to take books into 2 exams across AS and A2 in total). Here, being able to 'memorise facts', as one does in sciences subjects, can be very useful, so this is a good opportunity to pick up marks if you're particularly strong in subjects with right/wrong answers.

Having said all that, I think there is a certain degree to which 'hard work' will get you an A, but I think only a real passion for the subject can give you the drive to read enough of the literature necessary.

Hope this is of some help! PM me if you want me to explain anything that was a bit fuzzy, or if you have any other questions

ReputationRep:
    vbknl'k;;lj

ReputationRep:
    I think that it is not 'hard work' in the same way that Maths and sicence based subjects are, because in essence there are no right and wrong answers.

Having said that you have to ?know your texts, there is no getting away from that. you will need to learn quotes and supporting evidence, but i think that the most important thing is that you understand the book/play/poem inside out. i think that to do well you have to want to be doing the subject. other than that it is what everyone else is saying, understanding exam technique, essay writing etc.

Timewise it didn't take up quite as much time as my other subjects (nowhere near the amount that history did) and most of that time is spent either reading the text or some kind of research based around the text, so you feel like it is benificial.

I really enjoyed A level English so if you think you are going to enjoy it, i say go for it!

on the essay structure side, most of my questions were sort of like...
    ' how is the theme of love represented in Keat's poems' or along those lines. They usually have quite a wide focus

ReputationRep:
    I do English Lit. Maths, Chemistry and Physics for A2 and I know myself I spend way less time on English than I do for any of my other subjects, mainly becayse I'm doing engineering at uni and don't really need English
    I don't think it's much of a step up from GCSE and there are people in my class who got a C at GCSE but are still doing it for A2. There's a far bigger step up in Maths and it would require a lot more time than English.

As long as you like English and reading and have good communication i.e. you can write well with good vocabulary (don't worry about presentations I've never done one) then you should be grand. Though I do know that out of the 23 pupils doing English in my year there were 7 A's at AS.
    But I do reccommend doing English. I hated it all through AS but then I got an A and decided I may as well try it for A2 and found I enjoyed it a lot more than last year. It's good when you're doing heavy subjects so factual to get something a bit more relaxing like English.

Sorry for the long post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Reks)
    Will taking Eng Lit for A Levels put extra pressure on me as i am taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths (yuk)...?
    Hehe, I'm thinking Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics, English lit.. :p:

ReputationRep:
    ][#';lkcjgvkn

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, English is the one subject that takes up the least of my time (see my sig for other subjects)

And its not just me, my other friends feel the same You might get an evil teacher who sets an essay or week or something though :/

ReputationRep:
    ebyrne288 - it is VERY DIFFICULT to get an A in eng lit. im doing it at A2 lev this yr and i absolutely love it, as i did last yr but i only gt a C on the exam paper and a very high B (i.e. i was literally 2 marks off an A) in the CW. overall i gt a C. that really took the mick because i really enjoy the subject and its what i wnt to do in uni. i did the resit today and it is not relaxing... you have to work hard to get a good grade, just like in science. eng lit is not an easy subject so stop selling it to younger students like its a breeze cos it isnt!! i gt an A* at gcse and a level is defo more difficult. hands dwn.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know if spelling will mark me down, i realised that i write conspicious instead conspicuous consumption

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super_Steven)
    does anyone know if spelling will mark me down, i realised that i write conspicious instead conspicuous consumption
    no don't worry too much about it, i am crap at spelling, as long as what you are writing is good e.g. content, then it doesn't really matter. There are only a few marks for spelling and grammar, which you can easily make up for with content.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.