Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is the only thing I have trouble with in S2...my exam is on wednesday and I really struggle with this chapter, never got exalained properly. If you could help with through this question maybe I'll undersand it more?

The waiting time, T minutes, before being served at a local newsagent can be modelled by a continuous random variable with probability density function:

f(t) = 3/8 t^2 o<t<1
    1/16 (t+5) 1<t<3
    0 Otherwise

Show that the cumulative distribution function for 1<t<3 is given by

F(t)= 1/32 (t^2 + 10t - 7)

Hence find the median waiting time.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what you're supposed to do? An attempt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SLB1904)
    Show that the cumulative distribution function for 1<t<3 is given by

F(t)= 1/32 (t^2 + 10t - 7)

Hence find the median waiting time.
    Here's my guess: the cumulative distribution function is probably the area under the curve, and the median is probably this area divided by the length of the time-interval over which you integrated. I've never done any probability though so I may be completely wrong..

(Not an "explanation" sorry, but I posted anyway because I'm bored.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Do you know what you're supposed to do? An attempt?
    I integrated from 0 <t< 1 to get 1/8 t^3

then integrated from 1 < t < 3 (using reverse chain rule)

so I got F(1) + 1/32 (t+5)^2 (F(1)= 1/8)

and i have no idea what to do from here.

ReputationRep:
    How did they get the -7?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SLB1904)
    I integrated from 0 <t< 1 to get 1/8 t^3

then integrated from 1 < t < 3 (using reverse chain rule)

so I got F(1) + 1/32 (t+5)^2 (F(1)= 1/8)

and i have no idea what to do from here.
    so 0 <t< 1 you get 1/8 t^3. If you plug those limits in you get 1/8.

Next 1/32 (t+5)^2 + c --you need a constant. But you already know if you plug in t=1 the area should be 1/8 so find c. Then simplify.
    Note: it is a continuous distribution so the value t=1 can be in 'both' functions (continuous overlap)

ReputationRep:
    so 0 <t< 1 you get 1/8 t^3. If you plug those limits in you get 1/8.

Next 1/32 (t+5)^2 + c --you need a constant. But you already know if you plug in t=1 the area should be 1/8 so find c. Then simplify.
    Can I ask you something?

Would it also be correct to say that the total (cumulative) probability at t=3 must equal 1? I also get -7 this way, but I don't know if that is coincidence (since they don't specify that all customers get served before t=3).

Edit: oh wait they actually do specify it. So I guess that is correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Can I ask you something?

Would it also be correct to say that the total (cumulative) probability from t=0 to t=3 must equal 1? I also get -7 this way, but I don't know if that is coincidence (since they don't specify that all customers get served before t=3).
    Well F(3) is supposed to be 1 because the total area is always 1; they dont need to say this it's just a fact of probability otherwise the initial function they gave you is not a pdf.

ReputationRep:
    Well F(3) is supposed to be 1 because the total area is always 1; they dont need to say this it's just a fact of probability otherwise the initial function they gave you is not a pdf.
    Right. So why do you use the integration constant c and the condition at t=1, F=1/8, instead of using no integration constant (since by integration from 1 to 3 the constant c would fall out anyway?). Why don't you just normalize the area (F(3)=1) ?

ReputationRep:
    F(3)=1 means  \int_0^1 + \int_1^3 (for each pdf function) Yes that's fine and all the constants cancel out and it looks like everything is fine. But think of it this way: for 1<t<3 if I plug in any t=x value into 1/32(t+5)^2 does it actually take into account the area between 0<t<1 ? After all this integral is only for the range 1<t<3. If it's a CDF it should include the entire area below the value t=x.

ReputationRep:
    F(3)=1 means  \int_0^1 + \int_1^3 (for each pdf function) Yes that's fine and all the constants cancel out and it looks like everything is fine. But think of it this way: for 1<t<3 if I plug in any t=x value into 1/32(t+5)^2 does it actually take into account the area between 0<t<1 ? After all this integral is only for the range 1<t<3. If it's a CDF it should include the entire area below the value t=x.
    I don't think that's what I'm asking though. (I'm not sure.) What I would do to determine F(t) in the interval 1<t<3 is this:

area normalisation:
    (1/8+1/32(3+5)²-1/32(1+5)²)/N==1,

where then later
    F(t) for 1<t<3 is equal to
    F(t)=(1/8+1/32(t+5)²-1/32(1+5)²)/N

Would this be right or wrong? Thanks. :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    I don't think that's what I'm asking though. (I'm not sure.) What I would do to determine F(t) in the interval 1<t<3 is this:

area normalisation:
    (1/8+1/32(3+5)²-1/32(1+5)²)/N==1,

where then later
    F(t) for 1<t<3 is equal to
    F(t)=(1/8+1/32(t+5)²-1/32(1+5)²)/N

Would this be right or wrong? Thanks. :-)
    That first bold bit totals 1 though?

In a roundabout way you're doing the same thing.
    The second bold bit but just means \int_1^t \frac{1}{16}(t+5) dt + \frac{1}{8} which is what we're after for this range, yes. Basically the same method.

ReputationRep:
    That first bold bit totals 1 though?
    Yes - it just so happens that here N=1. The difference is just the way of approaching it. I don't know if the area is always automatically already normalized in these exercises. I know the total probability always has to equal 1, but I don't know if that normalization is always already inbuilt in the exercise or if the student sometimes has to do it. This is why I first thought of using this approach..

Anyway I see now. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Yes - it just so happens that here N=1. The difference is just the way of approaching it. I don't know if the area is always automatically already normalized in these exercises. I know the total probability always has to equal 1, but I don't know if that normalization is always already inbuilt in the exercise or if the student sometimes has to do it. This is why I first thought of using this approach..

Anyway I see now. :woo:
    No you dont need to normalise anything. You are just adding areas and making sure they are consistent for different ranges. The more direct approach is just to write something like that last integral first off and this is usually how it's written in mark schemes.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 16, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.