Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am a second year student renting out a house with 3 other lads, one of the lads came back from xmas with a heavy dart board with plans to put it in his room!

Obviously I told him it was a stupid idea, the wall around would be full of holes from the darts hence lose our deposits. He also told me he was going to get a bit of wood to help hang it onto the wall and act as a kind of shield and which was fair enough, but then he came back with a thick heavy piece of wood that was only slightly bigger than the dart board, so know I am worried about the darts going into the wall and the dart board contraption falling off the wall, which will require a lot of repair!

I told him to ask the land-lady before putting it up, he said he would but didn't, probably because he knew she would say no.

His argument is that she plans on redecorating that room once we move out in the summer, so she is not bothered about blu-tac and such.

I'm not really sure what to do with my concerns about MY deposit, I have spoken to him but that has had no effect (we don't really get along anyway), I thought about going to the land lady direct but she hates him already and that may cause more problems.

Any suggestions or should I just leave it? :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I'd phone up the land lady myself and tell her what he was doing. Don't let that selfish knob throw away your money.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty tough situation. I'd probably just leave it as assuming your deposits are about 200 pound each she won't take that off for a few holes i the wall so would only take the money needed off of the person with the boards deposit?

ReputationRep:
    Exactly how hard are you going to be throwing these darts to miss the board entirely and then puncture a hole in the wall?

ReputationRep:
    if hes determined and you are not wanting tell him tpo get a large cork notice board and put it behind the board, that or tell him to learn to play first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubgish)
    Exactly how hard are you going to be throwing these darts to miss the board entirely and then puncture a hole in the wall?
    You would be surprised at how easily darts get through plaster board...

If he is any decent at darts in the slightest then not hitting the board, especially with a small wooden board around, should be no issue.

If he is **** however, then ring the land lady.

ReputationRep:
    I would contact the land lady directly. You have already told him to and he hasn't, so he only has himself to blame. Bear in mind whoever is on the other side of the wall is going to have a constant banging sound too.

ReputationRep:
    Put a piece of cardboard around the dartboard and it should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    You can get tester pots of paint from DIY stores, he can just paint over the holes when he needs to. That's what I did when blu-tack ripped paint and plaster off.

Little holes will be easy to cover, so long as he actually does it.

ReputationRep:
    Even with a shield, the wall will still be hit from time to time. If you have a 99.9% success rate and throw 10000 darts over the year (assuming you play often) then that's 10 in the wall. Not including playing while drunk or seeing how well you play when you're standing as far away as possible or whatever. I think toothpaste is the answer when it comes to hiding the holes at the end of the year.

ReputationRep:
    well if its going in his room then its is deposit is in trouble not yours. i live in a house share and we all are resposible for our own rooms. if hes got holes in his its not your fault.
    if hes got it in the living room then you might have a problem....dont play and blame him at the end when the land lady asks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PsYCho ThInKeR)
    well if its going in his room then its is deposit is in trouble not yours. i live in a house share and we all are resposible for our own rooms. if hes got holes in his its not your fault.
    if hes got it in the living room then you might have a problem....dont play and blame him at the end when the land lady asks.
    How naive! I'm a landlord. I take repair costs out of the collective pot and return what's left equally. Its up to the tenants to sort out any arguments they have among themselves. You do know what the equally and separately clause in the contract means don't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    How naive! I'm a landlord. I take repair costs out of the collective pot and return what's left equally. Its up to the tenants to sort out any arguments they have among themselves. You do know what the equally and separately clause in the contract means don't you?
    if its in the living area fair enough. but what has other peoples room got to do with me?
    if there is something in the living room then thats different but the dart board in the bedroom has got nothing to do with the other housemates. if there are holes in the wall, they are in his room so his deposit. no?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Blue Rose Bowl)
    I'd phone up the land lady myself and tell her what he was doing. Don't let that selfish knob throw away your money.
    This.
    You could just phrase it as a general question about responsibility for bedrooms and if she asks say why you are worried. Whether she is planning to redecorate or not doesn't make a difference to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    A landlord will take the cost of repairs out of the total deposit and could quite legitimately, if not morally, take the cost of re-plastering and redecorating the entire wall out of your joint deposit. Warn your flatmate that if that happens, the rest of you will ask the landlord to take the entire cost out of his share of the deposit.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Just say to your flatmate that if he causes the damage you expect him to give you some of his deposit refund - sorted.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.