Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody

I am a first year undergrad at uni and finding money to be total struggle.

I have a Natwest Student account with £1250 interest free overdraft (the max). I'm currently at about £770 available (so £480 overdrawn). I had to pay £500 for a deposit on my second year house a few days ago.

My accommodation fees of £1400 are due out in the next few days but I simply don't have the money. I have been searching for jobs but even if I get one I can't afford to pay my accom fees straight away.

I just don't know what to do. I am unable to borrow from family etc as I am from a low income family (one parent) and they cannot afford to help. It's illegal I believe to open another student account and access another overdraft, so I feel helpless.

I have the £500 "interest free on purchases for 56 days" credit card but have not touched it through fear of interest rates etc...

I would be fine if I had enough to tide me over being really careful about things i.e. not going out, spending carefully with food but as it stands I have nothing.

I have always been good with money but all the course books, uni living, and other costs have surprised me and for the first time in my life I feel helpless and scared about things going forward.

Does anyone have any advice at all as to what to do?

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes the university will have an 'emergency fund' available to students - you could try the student support services?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jh2009)
    It's illegal I believe to open another student account and access another overdraft, so I feel helpless.
    Not illegal, but might be against the terms and conditions of the accounts. All you'd need to do would be to deny you had a student account elsewhere, make sure the bank wasn't part of the same group, then ensure you used the account enough for it to count as your main account from the bank's perspective.

Your first priority should be to talk to your accommodation provider and university to see if you can come to some arrangement to resolve the immediate issue of your accommodation costs.

The next thing to do is to check you have all the available maintenance loan and grants.

ReputationRep:
    if you open another acct the original acct bank can close your acct and call in the overdraft immediately and they won't be soft like SFE.

ReputationRep:
    Try your student support service, as another poster has said. You should be able to apply to the hardship fund given your circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    how have you spent all your student loan, anyway apply to your university peasant fund.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.