Turn on thread page Beta

Newbie starting to workout watch

ReputationRep:
    Well I've been lurking on these forums and a few others about strength training for a bit now and I'm fairly motivated to workout and did start for about a month and stopped for a bit due to a few factors but now I want to start-up again and get fit.

In the Summer it was great because I had A LOT of free time on my hands so I was going to the gym quite a bit and doing the Starting Strength programme. It was really good and I made quite big improvements although they are still pretty pathetic compared to many here. Main reason is that I'm 5'9" and 145lbs so as you can understand I'm pretty skinny. I used to be much skinnier and MUCH weaker so I'm happy with gains I've made so far but they still pale in comparison with what other people my age (17 years old) can do.

Main problem now is that I've got college and just very busy. I'm quite a geek and so I do quite a lot of school work in a day and it doesn't give me enough time to go to the gym any more. I know people will say that's a poor excuse and it might be but coupled with parents who aren't so interested in me working out and more about me being smart academically it's hard to also pay for the gym membership. I do stay fairly fit by playing football and squash with friends but it's not often enough for great gains.

My goal is just to be fairly slim but quite muscular (again, sorry if this is such a cliché but it's the truth). I have a friend who is quite knowledgeable on these things and he's recommended p90x as it's something I can do at home. He has said it's not going to give me amazing gains but good enough for now till maybe I do have more time and can go gym. I've done it for a week and it looks pretty good and I'm happy I'm just working out generally but at the same time I don't want to feel like I'm wasting my time if it really isn't any good (and only slightly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael XYZ)
    I have a friend who is quite knowledgeable on these things and he's recommended p90x as it's something I can do at home. He has said it's not going to give me amazing gains but good enough for now till maybe I do have more time and can go gym. I've done it for a week and it looks pretty good and I'm happy I'm just working out generally but at the same time I don't want to feel like I'm wasting my time if it really isn't any good (and only slightly.
    P90X is nothing special and is hideously overpriced, if you're intent on working out at home and/or with little or no equipment Never Gymless and/or Infinite Intensity are significantly better in every way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    P90X is nothing special and is hideously overpriced, if you're intent on working out at home and/or with little or no equipment Never Gymless and/or Infinite Intensity are significantly better in every way.
    Yes I've heard of them. Sound good but is it really worth the £30 or so that they cost? Does it actually provide a good weekly workout or does it just explain different things I can do?

I do agree that P90X is very overpriced but my friend already had bought it so I have it for free essentially. You may be right about it being nothing special but what I like is that it is accompanied with various videos which makes it good to see how to properly do the exercises and everything. I just don't want to be put off by this and purchase something else to find that later on it's obsolete by ANOTHER product. Not quite sure but it's sort of demotivating to hear that you can get something which is better so I sort of just want to get started and keep going rather than starting for a week and then reading bad reviews and realizing maybe it isn't as good as people have said.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I've heard of them. Sound good but is it really worth the £30 or so that they cost?
    Do you think I and 1000s of others would have bought both if they weren't? If you've done your research you will know that they've been given excellent reviews and are recommended by novices and top trainers alike.

Does it actually provide a good weekly workout or does it just explain different things I can do?
    Ross has got overviews on his site. They go into the physiology of why/how to train, exercise form, equipment selection (or even making your own), there is an example 50 day routine, etc.

What is good about Ross' stuff is that it educates you so that in the future you can develop your own routines rather than being dependent upon someone charging you $$$ every time.

You may be right about it being nothing special but what I like is that it is accompanied with various videos which makes it good to see how to properly do the exercises and everything.
    So does youtube and it's free I hear

I just don't want to be put off by this and purchase something else to find that later on it's obsolete by ANOTHER product.
    It's backed up by scientific studies, it works, it's recommended by genuine trainers...it's timeless.

Not quite sure but it's sort of demotivating to hear that you can get something which is better so I sort of just want to get started and keep going rather than starting for a week and then reading bad reviews and realizing maybe it isn't as good as people have said.
    Let's put things into perspective, you've been training for a week. Ross' stuff will ship in a week or so and there is nothing stopping you from continuing with P90x in the meantime.

ReputationRep:
    Which of the two would you recommend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Which of the two would you recommend?
    Personally I'd say Infinite Intensity is the better of the two (ie; out of Never Gymless). It's uses a wider range of equipment (eg; dumbbells) and is more versatile. On the same note it's easier to start in and make decent progression by microloading, on the otherhand jumping from one bodyweight exercise variation to another can be difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Ok well I'm going to look up on buying one of them but probably not in the very near future so gonna stick with P90X for now. I realise it's not amazing but it isn't that bad either, surely? Just provides me with good motivation to continue till maybe I can access more things and maybe even start going to the gym and re-starting Starting Strength.

I mean, I can see pretty good gains (well, what I would consider good; to some it may be rubbish) and to me that's all I want. I'm not massively bothered that it'll take a longer time than someone doing another workout programme as long as it's not a MASSIVE difference.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks chocoholic- but you lost me at microloading :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Thanks chocoholic- but you lost me at microloading :p:
    Say you want to be able to do handstand pushups, the transition and strength required from normal pushups to handstand pushups is high - it is a slow and difficult process.

On the otherhand if you're progressing in barbell overhead presses however it's a different picture, you simply add a plate on the bar. You can get plates (eg; 'micro' plates) which are very light but by lifting progressively heavier weights (ie; loading) you get steadily stronger.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.