Turn on thread page Beta

Men not allowed to sit next to children on BA flights - sensible or crazy? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should men not be allowed to sit next to children on planes in case of sexual abuse?
    Yes - it's a sensible idea! I hear it's a big problem nowadays.
    3.82%
    No - it's completely stupid.
    96.18%

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1243625/Businessman-Mirko-Fischer-sues-British-Airwars-treating-men-like-perverts.html

A guy is suing British Airways because he was humiliated when he was forced to move seats away from his pregnant wife because there was a 12 year old child sitting on the other side of him.

(He's giving any compensation to the NSPCC by the way)

What do you think, is it a sensible idea, or completely retarded?

I vote for the second option - I wasn't aware that child rapes were a particular problem on board aeroplanes.

ReputationRep:
    That is ******* ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe this story.

ReputationRep:
    I hope he wins - the guy who is doing the suing has a good point and BA are pretty bloody ridiculous to have a policy like that. Next time I fly BA I'm going to make a point of sitting next to a male stranger and then I'll kick up a fuss and defend the guy if he's asked to move.

ReputationRep:
    If this policy of BA is actually true, then I honestly think it's the most retarded thing I've ever heard

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if the old monster Harriet Harman is going to wade in on mens behalf? Or is it as I suspected, she only cares about anyone who isn't white, straight and male.

ReputationRep:
    He does look a bit shifty in that picture though :ninja:

But seriously that is simply the stupidest policy i have ever heard

ReputationRep:
    I've heard of this policy before... it certainly exists although I dont know if its actually enforced a good deal.
    But yeah, its crazy. I do feel sorry for blokes sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    That is such a stupid policy! Since when do men abuse random children on aeroplanes?!

(Original post by sadie-kiki)
    I hope he wins - the guy who is doing the suing has a good point and BA are pretty bloody ridiculous to have a policy like that. Next time I fly BA I'm going to make a point of sitting next to a male stranger and then I'll kick up a fuss and defend the guy if he's asked to move.
    I don't think 19 year olds class as children...

ReputationRep:
    did they just forget about myra hindley or something?

ReputationRep:
    Thats going toooooo faaarrr

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm: What next, men aren't allowed to sit next to women? :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    It's not just BA policy, many european and US airlines have similar.

Remember that it's also for the protection of the adult.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If it's statistically more likely that more abusers are people that the child knows, surely it follows, a priori that no child should be allowed to sit next to a person that they know, on the basis that they are more likley to be abused? (A reductio ad absurdum argument, I know, but...)

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't he have just switched seats with his wife?

Edit: Which I know isn't the point - he shouldn't have had to move seats in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    It's not just BA policy, many european and US airlines have similar.

Remember that it's also for the protection of the adult.
    How is it for the protection of an adult?

ReputationRep:
    I think children should sit with their families to be honest, but this rule is silly.

That said, I usually want to take a nap on a flight and I don't want some annoying child next to me, doing annoying things like kicking seats or being sick over me.

ReputationRep:
    stupidest thing I have ever heard

ReputationRep:
    When I was 12 I would have been terrified if I had two beer drinking men sitting either side of me. If it was a man with his family, there wouldn't be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lm_wfc)
    How is it for the protection of an adult?
    I imagine he was referring to the potential for false accusations.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.