Turn on thread page Beta

Men not allowed to sit next to children on BA flights - sensible or crazy? watch

• View Poll Results: Should men not be allowed to sit next to children on planes in case of sexual abuse?
    Yes - it's a sensible idea! I hear it's a big problem nowadays.
    3.82%
    No - it's completely stupid.
    96.18%

ReputationRep:
    Why the HELL did they take a picture of him looking like a Russian rapist with his hands down his trousers?

It really is ludicrous, though. Goodness knows how BA are going to continue to operate if they keep making such monumental business and PR mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    When I was about 12 I traveled on my own and a guy a was asked to move who was sitting next to me...it's always been the case..(this was also BA)

ReputationRep:
    Someone should have pointed out that BA class 12 year olds as adults when it comes to paying for their tickets, therefore he wasn't sitting next to a child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lm_wfc)
    How is it for the protection of an adult?
    Because kids are conniving little *******s renowned for making claims of 'abuse' if it suits them. Do you think any sensible adult male should be comfortable sitting near an unaccompanied minor?

ReputationRep:
    This is what's so f'in messed up about society these days. Sexism isn't acceptable when it's women, but men get descriminated against all the time :rant: If I was in that situation I'd just create a massive scene in front of everybody and would refuse to move. If they use force, then that's just 2 lawsuits against them rather than one

ReputationRep:
    Why couldn't they move the child?

ReputationRep:
    I really hope that's not true. It's just pure misandry. Just because a person is male doesn't mean he automatically becomes a paedophile around children.

(Original post by Playboy King)
    This is what's so f'in messed up about society these days. Sexism isn't acceptable when it's women, but men get descriminated against all the time :rant:
    Agreed, it's bull****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    That is such a stupid policy! Since when do men abuse random children on aeroplanes?!

I don't think 19 year olds class as children...
    I look young for my age :dontknow: with no makeup and boring clothes I can get into the cinema with a child's ticket
    I keep forgetting that I'm not a child any more :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Because kids are conniving little *******s renowned for making claims of 'abuse' if it suits them. Do you think any sensible adult male should be comfortable sitting near an unaccompanied minor?
    Well, surely that is completely his choice, and i don't know many children who have claimed to be abused, ifits as common as our saying, this country has some sick children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christian_j)
    Why the HELL did they take a picture of him looking like a Russian rapist with his hands down his trousers?

It really is ludicrous, though. Goodness knows how BA are going to continue to operate if they keep making such monumental business and PR mistakes.
    Haha, hadn't noticed his unfortunate pose for the photograph. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I could understand if they tried to avoid men sitting next to kids when allocating seats, but to actually make a man move when he already has a seat is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    He was next to his pregnant wife, what the hell was he going to do?

Even if he's not the most sophisticated of paedophile, I'm sure he could pick a better place for it than that! "Ooh, an opportunity for some mischief..."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    did they just forget about myra hindley or something?
    Beat me to it. Women do commit sexual crimes too, not as much as men but it does happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    Next time I fly BA I'm going to make a point of sitting next to a male stranger and then I'll kick up a fuss and defend the guy if he's asked to move.
    Even though

A. you're an adult, and
    B. you don't get to choose who you sit next to

?

Very well thought out plan. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Absolutley ridiculous and quite sexist against men actually.

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck to him with this case.

ReputationRep:
    this is going just too far now !

soon they will be scanning eyes and taking finger prints......oh wait !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christian_j)
    He was next to his pregnant wife, what the hell was he going to do?

Switch seats with her, obviously...

(Not defending BA. I'm just surprised that it seemingly didn't occur to any of the people involved that they could switch seats...)

ReputationRep:
    Lol. Let's skip right past the fact that it's OK to treat men as paedophiles because most paedophiles are men, even though most men aren't paedophiles, whilst it's not OK to treat young black men as violent criminals because most violent criminals are young black men, even though most young black men aren't criminals. But practically speaking, an aeroplane has to be one of the most logistically difficult places to abuse a child without someone noticing. We're only one step away from having lanes in our pavements to make sure that men don't walk past kids and get in a cheeky grope.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Seems a bit odd TBH. I've flown as an unaccompanied minor with BA in the past, back then they just put all of the waifs together, rather than dotting them about the plane with other passengers. Theory was that we could talk to each other I suppose, but with the invention of Walkmans that didn't really pan out. :rolleyes:

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.