Turn on thread page Beta

Men not allowed to sit next to children on BA flights - sensible or crazy? watch

• View Poll Results: Should men not be allowed to sit next to children on planes in case of sexual abuse?
    Yes - it's a sensible idea! I hear it's a big problem nowadays.
    3.82%
    No - it's completely stupid.
    96.18%

ReputationRep:
    A step too far. :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    I got asked to move on a BA flight coming back from Bahrain because there was a lady who didn't want to sit next to a man (she was muslim to be fair but I still think it's a pretty sad state of affairs when it is more or less implied that you are a pervert).

This is even more ridiculous to be honest though.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Women can be paedophiles too

ReputationRep:
    Why would you abuse someone on a plane when the airline knows exactly who's on that flight and all their details?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strangey)
    If it's statistically more likely that more abusers are people that the child knows, surely it follows, a priori that no child should be allowed to sit next to a person that they know, on the basis that they are more likley to be abused?
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    How recent is this policy? I can remember sitting next to a man on a flight when I was around 12, and again when I was 13 or 14 and my parents weren't on the flight. I probably did other times but can't remember each stranger I sit next to when I travel...

This is ridiculous. Even if the guy was a paedo its not like he could do anything to the kid seeing as hed be surrounded by other passengers and the cabin crew...its not like they'd be left alone together.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Ridiculous policy IMHO, trust the Daily Mail to write about it :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strangey)
    If it's statistically more likely that more abusers are people that the child knows, surely it follows, a priori that no child should be allowed to sit next to a person that they know, on the basis that they are more likley to be abused?
    I know you aren't being serious, but that isn't normalised by the time spent with them. You tend to spend more time with people you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    How recent is this policy? I can remember sitting next to a man on a flight when I was around 12, and again when I was 13 or 14 and my parents weren't on the flight. I probably did other times but can't remember each stranger I sit next to when I travel...

This is ridiculous. Even if the guy was a paedo its not like he could do anything to the kid seeing as hed be surrounded by other passengers and the cabin crew...its not like they'd be left alone together.
    I've sat next to many a stranger, speshly if we go on holiday with 4 of us or 5 and we get there late. I hate it so much.

ReputationRep:
    they should ban men from sitting next to women, not children. I hate being chatted up everytime i fly by the guy next to me (they NEVER sit me beside women and i travel alone)

ReputationRep:
    I love how most of the people backing the BA policy in this thread are female. If you understood what it was like to be treated as potential paedophile in situations such as this purely because of your gender, I think your view would be somewhat different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ياسمين)
    they should ban men from sitting next to women, not children. I hate being chatted up everytime i fly by the guy next to me (they NEVER sit me beside women and i travel alone)

They shouldn't ban anyone from sitting next to anyone, and everyone should fend for themselves or the people around them (in the case of a child). If I want to move for good reason, I'll do something about it. Many times on a plane I've swapped with other people, either because they wanted the move or I did.

I don't want any bans telling me where to sit and who can sit with me thankyou muchly.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, males over 16 shouldn't be allowed to use TSR because some females under the age of 16 use TSR. Due to the fact we all know which is that every male is a paedophile, that means they should be banned. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    Lol. Let's skip right past the fact that it's OK to treat men as paedophiles because most paedophiles are men, even though most men aren't paedophiles, whilst it's not OK to treat young black men as violent criminals because most violent criminals are young black men, even though most young black men aren't criminals. But practically speaking, an aeroplane has to be one of the most logistically difficult places to abuse a child without someone noticing. We're only one step away from having lanes in our pavements to make sure that men don't walk past kids and get in a cheeky grope.
    I used my rep at midnight last night. Remember to remind me to rep you tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    Oh I loved Monkey Dust

ReputationRep:
    Where's the option for "Great Idea- Kids are ******* annoying on planes"

ReputationRep:
    so women can't be pedofiles? sexist or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melting Sugar.)
    Why couldn't they move the child?
    Too much like common sense? Why move the child when they could insult (by implication), embarrass and humiliate they guy?

This kind of pathetic action doesn't do anybody any favours!

ReputationRep:
    can't BA properly assign seats in the first place?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.