Turn on thread page Beta

Men not allowed to sit next to children on BA flights - sensible or crazy? watch

• View Poll Results: Should men not be allowed to sit next to children on planes in case of sexual abuse?
    Yes - it's a sensible idea! I hear it's a big problem nowadays.
    3.82%
    No - it's completely stupid.
    96.18%

ReputationRep:
    that is completly retarded. women are just as likley to be perverts as men, based on thier logic children should be on an all children flight with a child crew or in a seperate child only area.

especially wrong since he had a PREGNANT WIFE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    So shall we move all Islamics to a separate part of trains so that 1/1000000 wont bomb someone?
    Oh wow, you really got a special kinda mind.

You don't book train tickets unless you want to go in first class

Moving a Muslim to a specific place in the first class carriage, is not going to affect how many people are killed by a giant bomb, is it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan3va)
    that is completly retarded. women are just as likley to be perverts as men, based on thier logic children should be on an all children flight with a child crew or in a seperate child only area.

especially wrong since he had a PREGNANT WIFE
    Lol!

I agree with everything except the point in bold. You're a right dumbass if you think the bit in bold is true.

(Original post by O-Ren)
    Oh wow, you really got a special kinda mind.

You don't book train tickets unless you want to go in first class

Moving a Muslim to a specific place in the first class carriage, is not going to affect how many people are killed by a giant bomb, is it
    Erm in London and Madrid most of the deaths were in the carriage it gets set off in .

ReputationRep:
    Not all men are paedophile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Why are you suspicious of a man travelling on his own?
    A man is just as likely as a woman to be a paedophile I think, but more people would be nervous of a man than a woman, just because men seem to hold that prejudice. Personally, I would never judge someone because he was a man, but I do see why other people would. It's not that he's travelling on his own, just men tend to have to put up with it more in society

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strangey)
    If it's statistically more likely that more abusers are people that the child knows, surely it follows, a priori that no child should be allowed to sit next to a person that they know, on the basis that they are more likley to be abused? (A reductio ad absurdum argument, I know, but...)
    Lol at overzealous use of latin phrases.

ReputationRep:
    Re: that picture in the article, where is that hand?

ReputationRep:
    Surely the child should of been moved and not the man? If the child was traveling on his own, isn't sitting next to a stranger inevitable anyway?

I mean, I can sort of see the point of this policy. Who wants to sit next to some brat on a long haul flight?

ReputationRep:
    Its completely ridiculous, but I don't think it's worth a lawsuit.

ReputationRep:
    is crazy and stupid, women can abuse children just as much as men could. just how are you meant to abuse a kid on a flight any way. there is way too much fear mungering fueled by the press and media saying that all men are peado's, he is right to sue them

this fear of peado's being every where has gone on too long and needs to stop

ReputationRep:
    Bet the female paedophiles will be pleased

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    :facepalm: What next, men aren't allowed to sit next to women? :giggle:
    But what if they're gay?! Will we have to fly them out on seperate planes now?!?!

*insert politically correct word to describe a facepalm here*
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by weirdwakkidolli)
    A man is just as likely as a woman to be a paedophile I think, but more people would be nervous of a man than a woman, just because men seem to hold that prejudice. Personally, I would never judge someone because he was a man, but I do see why other people would. It's not that he's travelling on his own, just men tend to have to put up with it more in society
    Yes, that's my point; there is a lot of misandry in today's society.

Also interesting that some of the usual names to pop up in the usual women's issue threads don't seem to have appeared here, yet.

ReputationRep:
    Sensible. When I was 16 I was flying alone and the seat next to me was empty and some man just got off his seat and sat next to me. He then told me when I grow up I will be sexy and asked if he can hold my hand. PERVERT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeonflux)
    Pretty arrogant to assume they are trying to chat you up, more likely they're just striking up innocent conversation. Get over yourself.
    Well you don't hear the things they say, and I don't think one has to be particularly attractive to be chatted up on a plane or in an airport, it happens to any girl so I'm not saying anything about myself.

Pretty arrogant of you to assume you know what's being said and what's happening, and telling me I have to get over myself. Pot meet kettle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glitzey)
    Sensible. When I was 16 I was flying alone and the seat next to me was empty and some man just got off his seat and sat next to me. He then told me when I grow up I will be sexy and asked if he can hold my hand. PERVERT.
    oh god, your experience means every man should be labeled a pervert :headfire:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Yes, that's my point; there is a lot of misandry in today's society.

Also interesting that some of the usual names to pop up in the usual women's issue threads don't seem to have appeared here, yet.
    I think so too: Men get a really bad press. Just look at Vanessa George - she was a nursery worker, a woman, someone you really wouldn't expect to be a sex offender - yet she was. So why do men get such a bad press - I know places that work with children who won't employ males, although they wouldn't give that as the reason - when there are women out there who do the same!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    It's a fact that more men are paedophiles than women, just like more gang crimes are committed by black people than white people, more vandalism is committed by young people than old, and more drinking-so-much-until-you-fall-down-and-choke-on-your-own-sick is committed by women than men.
    By your logic, if statistically more rapes are committed by black men than white men, it would be fine for BA to arrange seating so black men don't sit next to any women, since you know, statistically a woman is more likely to be raped by a black man. Can you not see how ludicrous this is?

The obvious reason why that would never happen is that racism is deemed as unacceptable. However, sexism against males is not deemed unacceptable in that way, so BA can get away with sexist policies like this (providing they are against males of course). It's yet another ridiculous double standard, where sexism is allowed in one direction but not in the other.

You're an idiot if you can't see that arranging a man's seat so he's not next to a child is different to asking him to get up and leave in front of a whole plane full of people.
    You're an idiot if you can't see that just because it's not the same thing, or not as bad, it's still not right. This type of discrimination is still wrong whether it is out in the open (as in the case of the guy in the article) or whether its more subtle - ie. arranging seats so that men don't sit next to children.

In the former he's not harmed at all, what does a man care if he's seated next to a child or not? In fact, surely he'd prefer not to be?
    I don't care whether I'm seated next to a child or not, but I do care if I'm presumed to be a peadophile because of my gender.

ReputationRep:
    Damn, now I'll never join the mile high club.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.