Turn on thread page Beta

Men not allowed to sit next to children on BA flights - sensible or crazy? watch

• View Poll Results: Should men not be allowed to sit next to children on planes in case of sexual abuse?
    Yes - it's a sensible idea! I hear it's a big problem nowadays.
    3.82%
    No - it's completely stupid.
    96.18%

ReputationRep:
    Just think of all the complaint if women were told they were not allowed to sit next to children on BA flights. You would have Harriet Harman wading in as well as all the other women's rights groups talking about discrimination. I am amazed that more men don't kick up a fuss about things like this. You only have to look at the female peadophile ring recently to see that kids are under just as much threat from women as men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    First bit in bold - it's a generalisation based on truth. Not all women love children, not all men are bad with children. Most aren't. However, there is some truth in the stereotype that women are more patient and caring with children. If a child was crying due to being lonely and scared of flying - who'd be better at comforting them generally? A male or a female? Many males would feel uncomfortable.

Second bit in bold - have you ever felt physically sick because a woman has been staring straight at you for 30 minutes while wearing a smile on her face that says *I'm going to use you to **** tonight*

Have you ever had women put their hands down your trousers and have a grope as you pass them in the club?

Do women yell at you from their cars when you walk in public places?

If any of the above have occured, haev they occured regularly? Or one off occasions

No, the reason you feel uncomfortable around women is - I assume - you don't know how to talk to them. You may correct me if I'm wrong. I seriously doubt you have experienced repetitive creepy behaviour from the female gender.
    Yep all have happened ironically! and far more than once I have been to clubs where girls have grabbed my privates and had a few try and shove their hands down my pants, or had my arse squeezed, or been treated like a piece of meat many a time or had girls whistle at me or tell me to come back to theirs walking past me on the street on a night out etc.

As for your part about men feeling uncomfortable, do you not think reasons like this are why since if a woman wants to comfort a child its ok but a man then people seem to get really worried in case hes a pervert, its the same reasoning why people dont see much wrong with an older female dating a underage guy but a guy dating an undearage girl is seen as creepy and him taking advantage.

Men have a lot of things assumed about them as your replies seem to prove, you seem to have this idea that most guys seem to want to have sex with you which is either paranoia, or just an ego thing.

I have been drugged by a woman before to loosen me up, in fact three times in total have women tried to take advantage, the first I dont know if it was just topping up my drin k but the second and third were def drugs.

Men get the bad end of the stick in these sort of issues.

ReputationRep:
    Those Daily Mail comments are hilarious.
    "Situations like this wouldn't be happening if paedophiles were locked up for good or preferably put down"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    When I was 12 I would have been terrified if I had two beer drinking men sitting either side of me. If it was a man with his family, there wouldn't be a problem.
    what does beer drinking have to do with it you prat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EarlHickey)
    Yep all have happened ironically! and far more than once I have been to clubs where girls have grabbed my privates and had a few try and shove their hands down my pants, or had my arse squeezed, or been treated like a piece of meat many a time or had girls whistle at me or tell me to come back to theirs walking past me on the street on a night out etc.

As for your part about men feeling uncomfortable, do you not think reasons like this are why since if a woman wants to comfort a child its ok but a man then people seem to get really worried in case hes a pervert, its the same reasoning why people dont see much wrong with an older female dating a underage guy but a guy dating an undearage girl is seen as creepy and him taking advantage.

Men have a lot of things assumed about them as your replies seem to prove, you seem to have this idea that most guys seem to want to have sex with you which is either paranoia, or just an ego thing.

I have been drugged by a woman before to loosen me up, in fact three times in total have women tried to take advantage, the first I dont know if it was just topping up my drin k but the second and third were def drugs.

Men get the bad end of the stick in these sort of issues.
    I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with women

Your experiences are far from the norm though. I reckon about 10% of guys have your kind of experiences whereas about 90% of girls do (apart from the drugging, which doesn't happen that often, but you don't know you were drugged perhaps you're just not as resistant to alcohol as you think you are?)

Of course men get the bad end of the stick, it's almost always men who behave creepily! It makes sense. Each gender has negative and positive sweeping generalisations that can be made about it.

And the sorts of things you guys get like being moved to a different seat on a plane hardly compares to the raw deal women get in life now does it. I'd be very happy if the only prejudice I ever had to fear was other humans being extra wary of me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    And the sorts of things you guys get like being moved to a different seat on a plane hardly compares to the raw deal women get in life now does it. I'd be very happy if the only prejudice I ever had to fear was other humans being extra wary of me.
    Yes, women get such a raw deal nowadays don't they....they are only coming away with the top grades at every subject at school, account for the majority of entrants to law and medical schools and now earn more than their male counterparts in their twenties. In the recession men lost their jobs at double the rate of women. It must be so difficult being a woman in today's society. I know I for one am sick of hearing about what a raw deal women get. It is clear that BA would not have got away with their discriminatory policy if it was the other way round, unfortunately the problem is people like you who are willing to brush off discrimination and stereotypes against men, whilst constantly harping on about how you used to get a raw deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with women

Your experiences are far from the norm though. I reckon about 10% of guys have your kind of experiences whereas about 90% of girls do (apart from the drugging, which doesn't happen that often, but you don't know you were drugged perhaps you're just not as resistant to alcohol as you think you are?)

Of course men get the bad end of the stick, it's almost always men who behave creepily! It makes sense. Each gender has negative and positive sweeping generalisations that can be made about it.

Totally subjective, since you are going totally about theory and a lot of statistics dont know the full story(not that you have any) The first time I was almost taken advantage of was when I was 14! these 2 women at least in mid to late 30's started telling me what an attractive guy I was and asked my age, I said 14 and I noticed my drink never go down no matter how much I had, then I heard women say after I started to get dizzy and feel a bit faint that "its almost time now, we can take him home soon" and then the daughter of one of the women(who looked about a year or two older than me) say "is that the guy you want to """"

Second time was about 2 months after I was 18 and this woman who looked in her 30's was in a bar with me putting her arms around me and feeling my bits and saying did I want to come home with her for sex and when I said no she said she had cannabis and cocaine I could take to calm me down then grabbed my hands and shoved them down her knickers! 3rd time was with this girl who was all over me on a night out but I got her number and we met up a few times clubbing and one night she invited me round, gave me a whole bottle of vodka as a present(that I kept and didnt drink) then pretended to pass out, the next morning after I slept on the sofa, found my pants down and ripped in the crotch and I was so out of it I didnt even know what the date was or where I was or at one point my own name and tripped over standing up and I NEVER get that way and only had 2 drinks.

What is sounds like to me is that you are the sort of female who thinks the world is against them and other females and all men are potential rapists and just think about sex and violence etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMA)
    Yes, women get such a raw deal nowadays don't they....they are only coming away with the top grades at every subject at school, account for the majority of entrants to law and medical schools and now earn more than their male counterparts in their twenties. In the recession men lost their jobs at double the rate of women. It must be so difficult being a woman in today's society. I know I for one am sick of hearing about what a raw deal women get. It is clear that BA would not have got away with their discriminatory policy if it was the other way round, unfortunately the problem is people like you who are willing to brush off discrimination and stereotypes against men, whilst constantly harping on about how you used to get a raw deal.
    Most men still believe women are inherently incapable of creative thought, being mathematicians etc. etc.

Is your life really affected by a company deliberately seating you away from children, due to some 8 year old girl being more comfortable around a woman?

Oh poor you, I didn't you wanted to be sat next to kids so badly.

Oh and women get better grades because they are more conscientious with revision - generally. Most men still believe women are intellectually inferior.

ReputationRep:
    Totally subjective, since you are going totally about theory and a lot of statistics dont know the full story(not that you have any) The first time I was almost taken advantage of was when I was 14! these 2 women at least in mid to late 30's started telling me what an attractive guy I was and asked my age, I said 14 and I noticed my drink never go down no matter how much I had, then I heard women say after I started to get dizzy and feel a bit faint that "its almost time now, we can take him home soon" and then the daughter of one of the women(who looked about a year or two older than me) say "is that the guy you want to """"

Second time was about 2 months after I was 18 and this woman who looked in her 30's was in a bar with me putting her arms around me and feeling my bits and saying did I want to come home with her for sex and when I said no she said she had cannabis and cocaine I could take to calm me down then grabbed my hands and shoved them down her knickers! 3rd time was with this girl who was all over me on a night out but I got her number and we met up a few times clubbing and one night she invited me round, gave me a whole bottle of vodka as a present(that I kept and didnt drink) then pretended to pass out, the next morning after I slept on the sofa, found my pants down and ripped in the crotch and I was so out of it I didnt even know what the date was or where I was or at one point my own name and tripped over standing up and I NEVER get that way and only had 2 drinks.

What is sounds like to me is that you are the sort of female who thinks the world is against them and other females and all men are potential rapists and just think about sex and violence etc.
    You're being absolutely pathetic. I completely do not think that. All I have ever said is that it's wrong to move a guy after he's seated, but that if BA want to deliberately seat men away from children that's fine by me, because most children - particularly female ones - feel more comfortable around women.

Surely you are aware that the things that have happened to you are not normal or regular?

You can keep going if you like, accuse me of sexism, but none of it has any basis. You are so desperate to win the debate you are becoming ridiculous.

I have had enough of this now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    You're being absolutely pathetic. I completely do not think that. All I have ever said is that it's wrong to move a guy after he's seated, but that if BA want to deliberately seat men away from children that's fine by me, because most children - particularly female ones - feel more comfortable around women.

Surely you are aware that the things that have happend to you are not normal or regular?

You can keep going if you like, accuse me of sexism, but none of it has any basis. You are so desperate to win the debate you are becoming ridiculous.

I have had enough of this now.
    Very rude, I was actually going on about your comments basically saying men are more likely to do this that or another and basically an easy way to think men are lower even if you dont realise that.

Your very reply that I am become ridiculous as you say just shows how you seem stuck in an old fashioned idea.

I respect peoples opinions but it seems you are a bit naive about what men are like in reality hence me saying you seem a bit paranoid, or that you believe everything your hear and interpret actions in a way that backs up whatever theories you have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    Most men still believe women are inherently incapable of creative thought, being mathematicians etc. etc.

Is your life really affected by a company deliberately seating you away from children, due to some 8 year old girl being more comfortable around a woman?

Oh poor you, I didn't you wanted to be sat next to kids so badly.

Oh and women get better grades because they are more conscientious with revision - generally. Most men still believe women are intellectually inferior.
    You make more assumptions about how men think. You are wrong most men don't think that women are intellectually inferior. Men and women have different strengths on the whole and they compliment each other. Women might not have the natural flair for mathematics or science but they excel at plenty of other things. It certainly does not mean that men view women as intellectually inferior.

As for the BA policy, my life is not personally affected by not sitting next to kids, and I would rather not sit next to a screaming kid, but even so I resent the implication of the policy. As I said before if it was the other way round you would have had a bandwagon of people shouting from the rooftops about discrimination against women.

And the reason women get better grades is nothing to do with how conscientious they are. It is to do with the introduction of coursework in place of final examinations which led to girls overtaking boys at GCSE and A-Level. There is a clear correlation that coursework favours girls.

ReputationRep:
    I respect peoples opinions but it seems you are a bit naive about what men are like in reality hence me saying you seem a bit paranoid, or that you believe everything your hear and interpret actions in a way that backs up whatever theories you have.
    I have to agree with you, she does seem rather naive about what men are really like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    .... Most men still believe women are intellectually inferior.
    What century are you living in? I don't know which men you know but generally we feel pretty good about women in the workplace and their status in general. I don't think I know a single person, man or woman, who holds the views you have just put across.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    What century are you living in? I don't know which men you know but generally we feel pretty good about women in the workplace and their status in general. I don't think I know a single person, man or woman, who holds the views you have just put across.
    LOL

and did you read the comments left? 90% are very sexist, especially as you flick past the first few pages.

I genuinely can't believe how sweet and naive you are.

Sexism still exists, not the same extent as it used to, and I have no doubt it's getting better, but it still exists. You see it on TSR (ignoring the obvious trolls), you see it in the comments left on every newspaper article relating to gender, you hear it from men over the age of 40 quite frequently (yes they may be a different generation, but they're the generation we're gonna work for). My Dad and pretty much all my male family friends are professionals and they've made it quite clear that I have a struggle ahead of me if I want to make it in this world (they've all been very supportive mind). The guy I'm currently sleeping with is a businessman and he's said 'It's a **** world for women'.

Until the government makes it easy for women (or either parent) to be able to balance work with raising children, and the government changes the times schools run for, then women are not going to be on equal footing. Something which the article also touches on.

Oh, and when it comes down to it, all I have have said is that the sexism in this world towards women is a lot worse than deliberately sitting men away from children in order to make children feel more relaxed. NO ONE thinks all men are creepy nor do they think most men are, but I think it's fair to say most young children - particularly females - would be more comfortable around a female passenger. I fail to see how that can be an issue.

Moral of the story... we fly with

:bhangra:

ReputationRep:
    I think this is frankly not only a sexist but a stupid rule. I don't often agree with sueing but in this case I hope he wins. It has been well researched that children are more likely to be abused by a family member than a stranger. Then in the last couple of years we have had a number of high profile case of women taking advantage of minors and in the latest a paedophile ring which had several female members with the one doing the abuse being female. While the majority of reported sexual abusers are male, the number of reported female sexual abusers has risen by 20 percent.

According to the NSPCC. Another little known fact is that in all other types of child abuse the perpatrator is more likely the mother than the father. Rather than thinking rationally ,that it is because the mother is more likely the primary care giver, perhaps we should be hysterial and label all women as being inherently violent towards children and childbeaters? .

Vetting also is not foolproof, and too much of it probably harms society even more. The nursery paedo for instance unlike Ian Huntley had no criminal convictions and wasn't someone who the Police had an interest in.Rather than discriminate against men.make children distrustful of all adults, make adults especially men nervous to help a child in distress, maybe just refuse to allow paedos back into society at any point. Stop making excuses for females who have underage sex with teenagers and treat them in the same way as men.

Citing mental illness or it being beneficial for a teenager to be exploited by a sad demented dysfunctional woman. Stop the media from turning it into some kind of witchhunt. Sure we will still get paedos but I think society needs to take a mature attitude to this and not let the beardy weirdies at the paedos claiming they are 'misunderstood'.

ReputationRep:
    great, no more having to sit next to annoying kids for six hours and hiding my boner.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, this is actually beyond ridiculous. Sexism is never okay, regardless of the gender it discriminates against.

ReputationRep:
    That's one of the most ridiculous things I've heard all week.

What is our country coming to?

ReputationRep:
    The daily fail strikes again.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.