Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    "But looking at the figures, buying French would appear to be bad for your wallet. Another popular French model, a Peugeot 307, failed 24.7% of the time."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8461394.stm

Hahaha the French and their poor quality French cars!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Indeed French cars are renowned for their crap electrics, my dad had a Peugeot company car in the 90's , and every single electrical thing on it broke!

The top ten 2004 car models (they omit vans) failing MOTs in 2007* are listed here.
    * Which is the set of stats that the article you linked is based on.

Megane, Corsa, Mondeo, Clio, Ka, 206, MINI, Golf, Zafira, Astra, Focus, Fiesta.
    Four Fords, three French cars, three Vauxhalls and two German cars (albeit one with a French engine unless I'm mistaken).
    The top two if you include vans were the Ford Transit and the Ford Transit Connect.

To me it looks like a list mostly of fleet cars that'll be very high mileage and cars usually bought by women who generally (yes, it's a generalisation but it's a true one) don't know what they should be checking on their cars let alone actually do it.

I'm not a fan of French cars, but concluding that they are universally bad from this set of statistics is a silly thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    I liked the fact that the Porsche 911 was found to have the lowest fail rate.

ReputationRep:
    Says more about the people that buy the cars than the cars themselves tbh. Just shows that people dont maintain their cars properly

ReputationRep:
    or American and British.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.