Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I tried to steam some carrots in a microwave today but I think I'm doing it wrong, you get a burning smell from the cling film?

Not sure if Im doing it right, but what I'm doing is cutting up carrots into small pieces, putting them in a bowl and cover the bowl with cling film and stick it in the microwave. But, it started lighting up and burning, so I quickly took it out, and it was already steamed! I only left it in there for literally 3 seconds.

Am I doing it right?

ReputationRep:
    You're not meant to put cling film in the microwave unprotected. Put a lid over the cling film so it doesn't burn.

ReputationRep:
    Or - easier option, buy a bag of Bird's Eye steamed microwaveable veg. You get about 4 individual packets of mixed veg in the bag and you just put them in for about 3 mins, take em out, give em a quick shake and you're done.

ReputationRep:
    I've had no problems with cling film in the microwave - check the boxes of different brands as they're often made from different things.

Looking at Tesco's website, their normal cling film (which I have) can be used in the microwave but the Value stuff can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LFC24)
    I tried to steam some carrots in a microwave today but I think I'm doing it wrong, you get a burning smell from the cling film?

Not sure if Im doing it right, but what I'm doing is cutting up carrots into small pieces, putting them in a bowl and cover the bowl with cling film and stick it in the microwave. But, it started lighting up and burning, so I quickly took it out, and it was already steamed! I only left it in there for literally 3 seconds.

Am I doing it right?
    Hey hope you are well,

I normally put about 2 or 3 tablespoons of water in the bowl with the vegetables I want to steam and cover it with some good cling film.

You need some water though to make it steam and stop it from burning!

Hope this helps!

Amy x

ReputationRep:
    Make sure your clingfilm says it's microwaveable on the packet.

Or get a proper plastic microwave cover, they're only about 70p and way less annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Lol yea water would be good I steam veg in a pan, just chop the veg, add a few table spoons of water, bit of butter, seasoning... Put the lid on and cook on medium for around 10 minutes. Make sure all the water doesn't evaporate or they'll burn... Really yummy!

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can put clingfilm in the microwave, whoever said you couldn't!

Whenever steaming vegetables, you put them on a plate or in a bowl with a tablespoon or two of water, cover with clingfilm, then pierce the clingfilm in a couple of places, and voila - 2 or 3 minutes in the microwave and you should be done.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.