Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Girls: If you know a guy likes you but is ridiculously shy, would it put you off? watch

Announcements

My boyfriend is really shy. We spent a really long time getting to know each other, which may put some people off, but I think it was definately worth it.

It didn't put me off at all. We've been going out for almost 2 years and he's not shy or quiet or awkward when we're together like some people think 'shy' guys are.

Soooo, if he was generally awesome apart from being 'shy' then its worth sticking it out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valjean)
    ...come back when you have a personality.
    that's a bit harsh?

but if its as bad as not even ordering food in a restaurant then that doesn't really sound like shyness to me, that actually does sound like no personality, i'm extremely shy (would pass the criteria for SAD), but there's no way i'd order the same as my partner just cos thats what theyre having, & i would voice my opinions for sure, especially to a gf/bf - you should be naturally more relaxed & comfortable around your love partner in the first place anyway (once things get going a little)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valjean)
    If he can't hold a conversation, voice opinions, be assertive or have fun with me, what makes him reckon he has a chance of being my bf tbh.

I know someone who is frightfully shy and who I once had a soft spot for. But I've grown up and he is still exactly the same. He won't order food in a restaurant until I order first (and then he orders the same)/he wont suggest we do anything, it has to be my choice/he wont choose a dvd or a film to see at the cinema. I think its because he is shy and scared of what I'll think of his opinions, so he refuses to give them no matter how hard I try to relax him and get him to come out of his shell. I just know that if I were with him I'd have to make all the moves, in the bedroom he'd be a lay back and let you do it all sort of guy. So when he tells me he likes me its like no, come back when you have a personality.
    Actually, on those two points, it sounds like he's being polite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QwentyJ)
    Actually, on those two points, it sounds like he's being polite.
    Its not. There are more examples than that - he refuses to ever have any opinion or choice in anything, he just copies whatever I do. The letting the other person order first isn't the problem, its the issue that he will always copy me and will never choose something unless he knows what I'm going to choose first so that he can choose the same thing. ;/

I'd rather disagree with someone on things and have conversations rather than them just going along with whatever I do.

I literally took his hand and tried to pull him onto the floor to look at the dvd cabinet with me and choose something and he refused and said I had to choose, he'll watch whatever I choose.

ReputationRep:
    I quite like shy guys, although not to the point where they don't try to get to know you any more (let alone ask you out) because they are [U]that shy - which is annoying especially if you aren't that confident yourself, but you're trying :P but no i wouldn't give up unless he had a boring personality, but if i knew he wasn't as shy round other people i wouldnt give up

ReputationRep:
    It depends how much I liked him, but I don't usually go for shy guys, so yes it would put me off.

ReputationRep:
    i think if i guy was shy it would put me off becoz i would be thinkin he doesnt exectly like me and make me feel bad about my self i dont know why but it would lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.