Turn on thread page Beta

Low-carb veggie meals- or general healthy eating tips? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to sort out my diet, and I've realised that I eat a lot of carbs that I should probably cut down on. I'm finding it difficult to think of meals though- I don't eat meat when I'm at uni, and most of the low carb diets I've seen are based around chicken or fish.

My diet consists of lots of pasta, lots of vegetable soup, lots of lentils, veggie burgers in pitta, vegetable curries from scratch, the odd cheese sandwich and less healthy snacks. I've found that because I don't eat meat at uni I substitute it with carbs. Any tips or advice? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    your diet doesn't sound that bad.
    do you make the soup from scratch?
    just eat some fresh fruit instead of less healthy snacks and introduce more fresh veg into your meals.
    make a pasta sauce or bolognaise with tinned tomatoes and random grilled veg (pepper, corgette, onion, mushrooms...).

just curious, but why don't you eat meat at uni?
    i didn't at first because it was expensive/hassle but now i buy like a cheap pack of chicken thighs and a tin of fish each week.

ReputationRep:
    I second the 'why not meat' ?

ReputationRep:
    Because it's expensive (I would only buy free range) and I have a bit of a phobia of touching raw meat, and I don't like cooking it. I only really eat it at home because my mum buys and cooks it and I don't want to be difficult. Basically meat is out of the picture

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    I second the 'why not meat' ?
    agreed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    I'm trying to sort out my diet, and I've realised that I eat a lot of carbs that I should probably cut down on. I'm finding it difficult to think of meals though- I don't eat meat when I'm at uni, and most of the low carb diets I've seen are based around chicken or fish.

My diet consists of lots of pasta, lots of vegetable soup, lots of lentils, veggie burgers in pitta, vegetable curries from scratch, the odd cheese sandwich and less healthy snacks. I've found that because I don't eat meat at uni I substitute it with carbs. Any tips or advice? Thanks

Pasta is very carbie.

I'd recommend calorie counting, just remember to count your drinking calories.

My advice is i think your a girl, i didn't check. but my method was my average intake should be 2500 so i cut it down to 1500, so 500 calories per meal which means i didn't snack and if i did it was because i didn't hit the 500 per meal.

Good snacks/sweet things involved chewiee bars ( there yummy) 100 calories each, muller light yoghurts yummy and only 100 each, and fruit.

Drinks were mainly robinsons no added sugar squash, or water.

Food, i had rice, pasta, chicken ( protein ) , beef is probably second most allowed meat that isn't overly unheathly for you.

but my main tip would be just cut your poition size from e.g. 2 sandwiches to one, or try aim to finish your plate, if your putting the same amount on as you used to. 2 weetabix instead of 4. ect. and fruit juice is packed with sugar! its bad!.

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend rather than "dieting" as such, you have a look at Michaell Pollan's "In Defence of Food". It concentrates on getting the right balance without cutting anything out, and just getting the right diet as opposed to "dieting"
    Excellent book, will change your view of food.
    I live by it.
    Counting calories only ends up giving you a bad image of food. Food is good for your brain as well as your body and if you're restricting good food for stuff you wouldn't enjoy as much you'll end up resenting it.

Hope that helps ^^

ReputationRep:
    Because it's expensive (I would only buy free range) and I have a bit of a phobia of touching raw meat, and I don't like cooking it. I only really eat it at home because my mum buys and cooks it and I don't want to be difficult. Basically meat is out of the picture
    oh dear god.

well then you're screwed if you wanna go low-carb.

ReputationRep:
    maybe semi-screwed.

how are these for you;

* eggs
    * qourn
    * whey protein

I guess you don't eat fish unless it's been freshly catched or something or other.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to go low carb as such, I just want to try out some good replacements for carbs since my diet's heavily weighted towards them. Eggs and quorn are fine.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to go low carb as such, I just want to try out some good replacements for carbs since my diet's heavily weighted towards them. Eggs and quorn are fine.
    Well then, add them in to replace some of ya carbs.

Also remove some carbs, and add in healthy fats.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.