Turn on thread page Beta

Are girls probably better overall at revision than boys? watch

• View Poll Results: People say they revise for "6 hours" a day?
    38.89%
    ***** overwhelmed by peer pressure
    11.11%
    I am one of them but the truth is I revise for 4 hours at the most
    24.07%
    I revise for 8 hours a day, I have been accepted at Oxbridge, **** you and your life
    25.93%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Black Knight)
    Yeah girls are more nerdier than boys generally.
    You're lucky you said generally :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by graffic)
    I've seen this thought reported in the news, newspapers, magazines etc etc.

The thing is... Although it is pointless to speculate without evidence, I think they may have a point. I glanced at my friends notes on an exam coming up and she had written incredible, extensive notes. I couldn't believe my eyes. It's mainly to do with the fact that I am absolutely useless at revision. Her efforts compared to my efforts showed me up a lot.

Although I enjoy my subjects and I get A's and B's in the majority of essays throughout term, I normally perform poorly in the exams because I hate revision, I get distracted easily and I cannot physically sit at a desk for more than two hours. I've done the "listening to classical music", finding a quiet place, getting organised etc etc but although this stuff helps I still find revision the hardest thing to do in the world. I like to write essays and produce new work, rather than reading and re-iterating notes that I already know. It's why I get stressed at exam times and get even more pissed off on exam results day. I think girls are perhaps better at revising

P.S the poll is separate from the title and discussion of the thread

Girls are good at learning facts because they put it more hours.
    boys are better at applying those facts!

Boys excel in oxford/camb own exam, as well as bmat, ect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MDEH8176)
    Us guys have a simple system: note-taking/reading with anymore than 2 hours+ revision resulting in a masturbatory reward.
    Oh thats why I do badly.
    I usually revise a page to reward myself for a great 2hr + masturbation session. Thanks for clearing that up!

ReputationRep:
    Well all the girls I know have like colour coded organised notes and stuff... However I just have a pile of paper on my desk with random scribbles on it...

ReputationRep:
    On the whole, girls probably are more anal with notes, and put more effort in than guys. But it's not the same in every single case. There are individual boys who put a lot of effort in and see organisation as important, but equally there are girls (including myself) who tread along the do-little-as-possible-but-do-well-ultimately line.

Actually, I've found that coursework is the devil in the works for people who don't make any effort. Exams are piss easy, and I enjoy doing them because I'm up against all of my mostly thickheaded peers who get As in coursework because they put long, aching hours into it, and now they aren't able to do their work with their friends or get their parents to help or ask the teacher to revise their work multiple times - everyone is on level pegging.

ReputationRep:
    That's a big Generalisation.
    I am and i know of many girls that just take notes as simply as possible on a rymans pad and that is pretty much it.
    Some Girls, maybe frilly with there revision, but that doesn't mean there goiing to get the best grades.
    The same goes for boys, they may take as little revision notes and still get good grades.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, becasue they are generally better organised and are more conscientious when it comes to exams. Hence why girls seem to panic more before exams.

If I'm honest, I probably do about 2/3 hours combined revision for each module I sit. I've also never written revision notes in my life. Read the textbook and do past question for maths/physics.
    (disclaimer: these are all generalisations.)

ReputationRep:
    I am incredibly unmotivated and so barely revise at all. I am also female. I think I'm probably the worst person I know for revising, of the people who revise at all. I only just scrape into that category to be honest. I'm rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    Depends. I know some girls who colour code, code by topic/alphabet/date and then get a U.
    so true :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    I would say girls are more organised when it comes to revision, but that doesn't always translate to higher grades.

That sums it up
    I love people who are just so clear, and straight to the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MDEH8176)
    GUYS ARE BETTER AT REVISION.

I just have a textbook and a notepad and 'get on with it' working through chapter by chapter. I've noticed that a lot of girls seem to employ these overly-complicated revision techniques that include timetables, mind-maps, colour-coding and diagrams.

Us guys have a simple system: note-taking/reading with anymore than 2 hours+ revision resulting in a masturbatory reward.
    :rofl:

I don't have the patience for all that colour coding crap, and I can't really see how it would help me. As above, I just work through the textbooks again. Plus, doing past papers helps.

I never considered using a rewards system though....

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry Girls but I don't think your smarter, I think boys usually let themselves down during exam times. For example a lad has numerious exams in the past two weeks but would still get online and play their console. They would still go out with their mates and generally get together.
    I'm not saying girls don't have a life but they seem alot more keener in school to perform well and outshine the boys. For that reason they are alot more organised and tidy- I've got many female friends who take notes and consistantly highlight and pencil-mark those pages to it's easier to revise from for an exam.
    Whereas the boys would hardly give one, take the notes and just get outta class!! - is their thought.

So if we want to perform better then we must focus on the work and perhaps we could learn from the girls organisational skills.:p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm kinda organized but revision and me don't go together one bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Instincts_2012)
    You're lucky you said generally :shifty:
    Some boys I know, more specifically Chinese boys can't wait to show off their new FP1 books lol. It's not in all cultures that a girl can always perform better than boys. I'd say boys are much better at maths than girls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casshern1456)
    Some boys I know, more specifically Chinese boys can't wait to show off their new FP1 books lol. It's not in all cultures that a girl can always perform better than boys. I'd say boys are much better at maths than girls?
    Haha, you got me spot on :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I dont think it's fair to say all girls are boring and care more about work than a social life, just to make boys feel better about the girls' 'better exam grades', and that all boys aren't interested in their work and would rather be playing xbox, and that's surely the reason why boys don't achieve better grades.

I think there's no inherently more intelligent gender, and no more organised gender, within each there are some highly intelligent and/or highly organised people, just as there are some less intelligent and/or less organised people. So, girls arent naturally cleverer than boys, and neither are boys naturally cleverer than girls.

To find out why exactly boys apparently are achieving worse grades than girls, psychological research into the development of either sex would have to be done - perhaps girls feel like they have more to prove as the oppressed gender throughout history and work harder to secure a job that they want, or secure a place at the university they want to go, I mean still today the 'top jobs' are dominated by men, with most of the power and money of the world being in the hands of men.

Also I think girls don't really care if people think it's "uncool" to study, and other girls and boys are unlikely to pick on 'bookish' girls, whereas other boys often 'pick on' bookish boys. But I think this problem is more common in the comprehensive system, where intellectualism is sort of almost frowned upon.. I don't have a solution to changing the opinions of young people on working hard and being interested in their education, but I think motivation to study would definitely help there.

Also, there are many more female teachers than male teachers nowadays, and perhaps they serve as role models to girls, and are more relatable to girls than to boys. I mean, I don't know if this is true as one of my favourite teachers is female, but perhaps most boys prefer male interaction for learning. The problem is, of course, that boys and girls think differently to each other, one way of thinking not being better or worse, but you need to find methods that suit boys and methods that suit girls, and perhaps the current system of education suits girls better than boys - maybe then the solution is ultimate solution is only single-sex schools with different teaching styles.

I've also seen people complain that the curriculum is more female-orientated, to compensate for them being more male-orientated in the past - personally, if this is so, I think it's grossly condescending to females as I firmly believe there is no 'more intelligent' sex and the curriculum should be tailored to suit the needs of both genders, so as above, single-sex schools may be the answer..

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.