1*30 incline push ups
    ab work

C:
    squats
    3*12 bar dips
    5*5 pull ups (current max)
    1*30 incline push ups
    ab work

1-2 days of tabata interval sprints (5-8mins incluiding warm up)

As for diet I eat:

tuna/spinach/olive oil
    chicken/vege/olive oil
    peanut butter
    eggs/sausage
    1-4 whey protein shakes (Around workouts and before bed)
    some fruit

Eat whatever at weekends

I am not needing to majorly change my body could do with an extra 10lbs off muscle I guess but there is no hurry

I am not bothered about getting big legs as they are quite developed from football and get used a lot for football or sprints etc...

I just want a slightly more muscular upper body..arms, chest, shoulders....BUT i like to keep my bodyfat low sub 10% 6 pac

ReputationRep:
    looks more like a boxing warm up than a routine

why so many push ups and pretty much all that stuff yet no bench, deadlift, or weighted squats? Your majorly neglecting your core

Why not do ws4sb? perfect for someone doing football

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7777777)
    looks more like a boxing warm up than a routine

why so many push ups and pretty much all that stuff yet no bench, deadlift, or weighted squats? Your majorly neglecting your core

Why not do ws4sb? perfect for someone doing football
    I think you underate those sepcific exercises

No squats as im not interested in overly developing my leg muscles (and feel the other exrcises give enough focus on the back so no need for deads)

dips are a very strong exercise for chest and triceps....will do weighted to reduce reps soon (plus I have no bench press in my house or would do)

Chin ups and pull ups are very powerful for developing back and biceps and core and abs (most people cant even do 1 or 2..I can already do many and will move onto weighted soon)

Military press and barbell rows are compound exercise to develop back, shoulders, upper chest, and arms somewhat

Look at gymnasts..they do only bodyweight work..I beleive when it gets to point you can do 20+ chin up/pull ups you will have to have a pretty good/strogn upper body...when you are doing these exercises with 10-20+kg then you would have to be pretty big..or even one arm pull ups etc..

I read a story..dunno if true or not..something along the lines off a guy in africa with no weightlifting equipment was approached by a guy who asked how he got so big...he showed him a strong tree branch and said every day he would pull him self up on the branch and that was the only exercise he ever done

Off course the stronger I get I will add weights to my bodyweight exercises

as for max press ups..I dunno..thats pretty pointless I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarfaced)
    I think you underate those sepcific exercises

No squats as im not interested in overly developing my leg muscles (and feel the other exrcises give enough focus on the back so no need for deads)

dips are a very strong exercise for chest and triceps....will do weighted to reduce reps soon (plus I have no bench press in my house or would do)

Chin ups and pull ups are very powerful for developing back and biceps and core and abs (most people cant even do 1 or 2..I can already do many and will move onto weighted soon)

Military press and barbell rows are compound exercise to develop back, shoulders, upper chest, and arms somewhat

Look at gymnasts..they do only bodyweight work..I beleive when it gets to point you can do 20+ chin up/pull ups you will have to have a pretty good/strogn upper body...when you are doing these exercises with 10-20+kg then you would have to be pretty big..or even one arm pull ups etc..

I read a story..dunno if true or not..something along the lines off a guy in africa with no weightlifting equipment was approached by a guy who asked how he got so big...he showed him a strong tree branch and said every day he would pull him self up on the branch and that was the only exercise he ever done

Off course the stronger I get I will add weights to my bodyweight exercises

as for max press ups..I dunno..thats pretty pointless I guess
    The exercises are great, i'm not underating them.

Bodyweight stuff is great however you'll find most gymnasts power clean, squat etc.

You'll just find that you'll become lean, you said you wanted to put some muscle on, well you won't with that. 200 bodysquats..why? it's good for endurance i know but why

Surely you'd do squats for power and not size. You don't get gigantic legs from squatting moderately anyway and i bet you can barely squat so if you squat 100 odd kg it wont make much difference, you get gigantic legs from being a roid whore and bodybuilding

I am aware of what exercises effect what muscles..
    pull ups are upperbody they don't connect with the legs like core lifts do
    miltary press is mostly shoulders and triceps
    rows are predominantly upper back and triceps

gymnasts are also majorly strong cos of the crazy things they do to hold themselvs in place, such as when they're holding themself up in a similar fashion to lateral dumbbell raises.

Your missing out the core really. A routine like that i'd be adding burpees and other exercises. It's like something you do when your boxing, which'll make you lean and skinnyish. So basically your aims aren't for sports or strength, they're for size... It's OK for size, but you'd be better of doing ws4sb.

ReputationRep:
    well actually all these exercises develop the core

Off course deadlift is ultimate but all above very much emphasise the core especially in stability of the movements

I only do bodyweight squats to warm up my body and CV system, rather than a jog, bike etc...

Yes, gymnasts do extreme things i wont be doing

What are burpees

I mean apart from doing deadlifts and squats my routine is pretty full-on (dips instead of bench press)

If I include 3-5 sets of 5-8 reps deads or squats each routine then it is a pretty good mass gaining program..But as I am not bothred about legs I dont see what I am missing out on in terms of developing upper body?

ReputationRep:
    well actually all these exercises develop the core

Off course deadlift is ultimate but all above very much emphasise the core especially in stability of the movements
    However when you're stabilising relatively small weights (ie; < bodyweight) you won't develop much core strength and/or size.

Unless you start externally loading exercises with a decent amount of weight (eg; DL, squat, etc) and/or taking up some of the more advanced bodyweight core exercises (eg: ab wheel, dragon flags, etc) your core is going to remain pretty weak.

What are burpees
    Burpees

I mean apart from doing deadlifts and squats my routine is pretty full-on (dips instead of bench press)
    or lunges...
    or stepups...
    or any decent core work...

Yeah...you have an awesome routine there sir.

If I include 3-5 sets of 5-8 reps deads or squats each routine then it is a pretty good mass gaining program..But as I am not bothred about legs I dont see what I am missing out on in terms of developing upper body?
    You will gain much more size and strength, much quicker, squatting and deadlifting than not but hey, it's your funeral.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    However when you're stabilising relatively small weights (ie; < bodyweight) you won't develop much core strength and/or size.

Unless you start externally loading exercises with a decent amount of weight (eg; DL, squat, etc) and/or taking up some of the more advanced bodyweight core exercises (eg: ab wheel, dragon flags, etc) your core is going to remain pretty weak.

Burpees

or lunges...
    or stepups...
    or any decent core work...

Yeah...you have an awesome routine there sir.

You will gain much more size and strength, much quicker, squatting and deadlifting than not but hey, it's your funeral.
    muscle growth is specific to targeted area..hence doing squats will not make my shoulders grow bigger than doing military press

ermm..I include all major compound exercises barre deadlift and squat

My bodweight is 70kg that is quite a heavy weight especailly when I add 10-30kg plates so I will pulling up 100kgs...that is not heavy?

I cant believe you do not realise how much your core is involved in bar dips, pull ups, chin ups, rows, military press

Off course I will be doing hangign leg raises, crunches etc for abs...but I dont even thnk they are necessary

Regardless my aim is to have larger biceps, triceps, shoulders and pecs

I dont see what my program doesnt cover in this aspect

ReputationRep:
    muscle growth is specific to targeted area..hence doing squats will not make my shoulders grow bigger than doing military press
    Muscle growth is systemic thus the hormones released by working your legs, for example, can aid muscle and strength development body wide.

It is widely held by top trainers that to add 1" to your arms you have to gain something like 20lbs and the more advanced an athlete you become, the more mass you need to gain.

My bodweight is 70kg that is quite a heavy weight especailly when I add 10-30kg plates so I will pulling up 100kgs...that is not heavy?
    Being as light as you are makes a lot of bw exercises easier and also you're not always shifting 100% of your bw. In pushups for example you're only typically shifting around 60% of your bodyweight.

I cant believe you do not realise how much your core is involved in bar dips, pull ups, chin ups, rows, military press
    Who said I didn't?

Like I said already, if you're stabilising relatively small weights (eg; bodyweight pushups, pullups, dips, squats, etc) you're not going to develop much strength.

Regardless my aim is to have larger biceps, triceps, shoulders and pecs

I dont see what my program doesnt cover in this aspect
    I'm going to say this one last time...

You will get bigger, stronger and more quickly if you squat and deadlift.

ReputationRep:
    I'd hate to be a guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    I'd hate to be a guy.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    No squats as im not interested in overly developing my leg muscles
    BS ... it's because you're a pussy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    Why?
    I'd become obsessed with getting muscles and I'd have to do all these squats and deadlifts and bench lifts etc. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Why are you asking for critics on your routine when you're going to bite back lols?

on a side note, you do know that when you do heavy squats, you're not only hitting your quads, hams, glutes...but you're also sending a ton of hormones all over hence you get bigger and stronger all over....

ReputationRep:
    I'd become obsessed with getting muscles and I'd have to do all these squats and deadlifts and bench lifts etc. :confused:

I'm a girl and I squat, deadlift and bench etc, though, I'm not obsessed with getting muscles. It's good fun, you should try it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    I'm a girl and I squat, deadlift and bench etc, though, I'm not obsessed with getting muscles. It's good fun, you should try it.
    Why do you do it? Won't you get muscles? I have a two pack...a random line down the middle of my stomach and people think i work out. I hate the gym and all gym-like stuff tbh. But....if it'll help me get a bum like Kim Kardashian, what should I do? :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Why do you do it? Won't you get muscles? I have a two pack...a random line down the middle of my stomach and people think i work out. I hate the gym and all gym-like stuff tbh. But....if it'll help me get a bum like Kim Kardashian, what should I do? :teeth:
    We're girls, we don't gain muscles as easily as guys. Squats and deadlifts will get you a better bum, but like Ch0c, said weighted stuff in the gym would be much better than bodyweight stuff. I don't spend that long in the gym three one hour sessions a week, I'm getting good results, though not recently thanks to exams and c/w

ReputationRep:
    meh to get a decent body isn't difficult. I'm not fussed about getting bigger, just stronger out of interest

deadlifts - picking the weight of the floor

Squats - putting the weight on your back and squatting

Easy :p: and muscle is the shape of your body underneath any fat so it makes sense to build some muscle to shape your bum and what not

and OP, the things you saying are effecting the core a bit, just not much. If you want to follow your aims then follow the advice given, if not.. don't ask

You say your doing all the major compounds except dead and squat, but they're the most important for your core! Bodyweight exercises are great, you can get explosive quick power, and therefore be quicker than most people that do mainly strength based training. You'll get a lean body that could look decent.. but you aren't going across your aims the best way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    We're girls, we don't gain muscles as easily as guys. Squats and deadlifts will get you a better bum, but like Ch0c, said weighted stuff in the gym would be much better than bodyweight stuff.
    Bodyweight exercises are useful and they have their place but most people won't gain much strength and/or muscle doing 100s of pushups, pullups, crunches, etc - you've got to think about adding extra weight and/or pushing for some of the harder variations.

I played around with bw exercises for a couple of years before I started taking things more seriously and yes, I got a bit stronger and a bit bigger, but in reality very little. Now I do multiple sets of pushups with a 20kg weighted vest, again, I got a bit bigger and stronger but not by that much.

ReputationRep:
    Ermm I doen squats and deadlifts all my life

Reason I stopped is not only do i not care for legs I notice after every session I done heavy squats or deads my cysitc acne woudl get much worse

I swear every time I do a session of deadlifts within next few days I get 5-6 new huge cystic spots...I got cystic acne anyway..but these exericses obviosuly make it worse..so why bother im not interested in my legs anyway

I know they increase hormones as every time after a squat or deadlift session I am extremely aroused and horny and much more aggressiv and can feel the hormonal surge during and after the session

So, yes good for hormones but bad for acne

And I noticed my hair thinning so I decided overall things that increase anabolic hormones are a bad idea for me as I do not want to go bald anytime soon
    However I woudl still like to try and add soem muslce if possible in a less anabolic envirnoment body

ReputationRep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.