Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

TSR vs Oxbridge Applications for candidate offer rates watch

• View Poll Results: 2010 applicants - offer / pool or re-interview / unsuccessful
    I had TSR/Ox/Cam support only and was made offer
    56.10%
    I had TSR/Ox/Cam support only and was pooled/re-interviewed and made offer
    12.20%
    I had TSR/Ox/Cam support only and was pooled/re-interviewed and was unsuccessful
    7.32%
    I had TSR/Ox/Cam support only and was unsuccessful
    24.39%

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hey all,

I was thinking about 'Oxbridge Applications' throwing around their statistic that somewhere around 45% of people who use their service get an offer from Ox or Cam. However, having read through the applicant threads over a couple of years, it seems as if TSR has a much higher correlation for candidates being given offers.

If so, this may be a good ploy to subvert 'Oxbridge Applications'. I'm tempted to work through the offer/rejections poll threads to see what the stats are, but thought I'd put up this poll anyway, and start discussion.

So, does getting application prep from TSR/Ox/Cam have a higher correlation with success, than the correlation with success that 'Oxbridge Applications' has?

ReputationRep:
    It's very misleading though looking at the stats on here. More people will post an offer than rejection, and indeed plenty of people sign up specifically to announce an offer, but I can't imagine them doing the same for a rejection.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    It's very misleading though looking at the stats on here. More people will post an offer than rejection, and indeed plenty of people sign up specifically to announce an offer, but I can't imagine them doing the same for a rejection.
    Yeah that's true.

I guess I could look at the figures from the 'applicants' threads, and then comparing it to the same people on the 'offers' threads.

ReputationRep:
    This. When you first look at the poll results and stats they're surprisingly high, but when you think about it it's to be expected on an internet forum.

ReputationRep:
    Another issue might be that the high acceptance rate of TSR-people is not the consequence of their TSR presence, but the reason they're at TSR: they obivously care about their university applications and school work, etc. It's not necessarily a representative group :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Prankster Pixie)
    Hey all,

I was thinking about 'Oxbridge Applications' throwing around their statistic that somewhere around 45% of people who use their service get an offer from Ox or Cam. However, having read through the applicant threads over a couple of years, it seems as if TSR has a much higher correlation for candidates being given offers.

If so, this may be a good ploy to subvert 'Oxbridge Applications'. I'm tempted to work through the offer/rejections poll threads to see what the stats are, but thought I'd put up this poll anyway, and start discussion.

So, does getting application prep from TSR/Ox/Cam have a higher correlation with success, than the correlation with success that 'Oxbridge Applications' has?
    If this turns out to be true, I think fumblewomble should get lots of credit :P

ReputationRep:
    I voted even though I didn't apply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jfranny)
    Thanks for mucking up the poll results there. Real helpful.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    i) only people with offers will answer
    ii) i think being at ox/cam means you are more likely to continue using this site
    iii) some users didn't use this site with regards to applications, such as myself.

I didn't answer.

(Original post by Rvg)
    Another issue might be that the high acceptance rate of TSR-people is not the consequence of their TSR presence, but the reason they're at TSR: they obivously care about their university applications and school work, etc. It's not necessarily a representative group :P
    Same with the 'oxbridge application' thing though - could still be used for comparison purposes.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ParadigmShift)
    Thanks for mucking up the poll results there. Real helpful.
    Well you weren't seriously expecting the poll results to be accurate, were you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Well you weren't seriously expecting the poll results to be accurate, were you?
    I was hoping we might at least get past the 5th voter before it started being played with. :dontknow:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ParadigmShift)
    I was hoping we might at least get past the 5th voter before it started being played with. :dontknow:
    Fair enough, but people will start casting fake votes eventually.:dontknow: That probably wasn't even the first one.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Rvg)
    Yeah, that's kinda my point with Oxbridge Applications also.

Correlation =/= causation.

I may do something like this for my second year research project. lol.

(Original post by Topaz_eyes)
    If this turns out to be true, I think fumblewomble should get lots of credit :P
    Yes, absolutely. Well, alot of the current and former students, HobNob, Teebs, Craggy, WestWing, Lupus, Smilepea to name afew (sorry if I missed anyone!)

(Original post by Jfranny)
    haha. oh well. Just goes to show if I research this seriously I need to use the stats which Cambridge might be holding about attendance of open days etc.

(Original post by nexttime)
    i) only people with offers will answer
    ii) i think being at ox/cam means you are more likely to continue using this site
    iii) some users didn't use this site with regards to applications, such as myself.

I didn't answer.
    Neither did I, as I was interviewed last year, and I went on a free OA interview day thing when I was pre-application, naive, and didn't know any better. So it could potentially skew the results.

Agreed on the above three points. My responses though:
    i & ii) I was considering trawlign through the applications threads compared to results threads - this would give a more representative result of TSR users.
    iii) I wasn't really aiming to show causation, simply correlation. As I suspect the OA figure is simply correlation, not causation also. If this was completed as a serious study, then I would be tracking the levels to which an applicant goes to open days or seeks advice, and who they got it from.

I was just doing this as a bit of fun really to see if the figures were comparable.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by "TSR help only"? I mean, my school gave me help, but not by using Oxbridge Applications?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    What do you mean by "TSR help only"? I mean, my school gave me help, but not by using Oxbridge Applications?
    Ah, yeah, I guess I should have said help from sources other than OA. That's what I meant.

I was basically just looking to challenge the OA figure (not on a serious level). It's just what I've noticed from reading 2-3 years of applicant threads.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.