Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering which gap year scheme would be beneficial in gaining an IB internship when I'm at uni or IB or Consulting grad job in the future. I have applied to several of the schemes and these include:

KPMG
    Deloitte
    Accenture
    Rothschild
    Bank of England

If I get accepted into 1 or more of them, I just want to know which one should I choose. Could someone tell me the order of significance for later jobs of these programmes? I won't be just choosing my choice on this factor but want the long term prospects of each of these. Any help will be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    It depends whether you're more interested in consulting/IB, and which area of IB.

For IBD, Rothschild is probably the best, and Deloitte/KPMG would be useful for accounting foundation. The BoE scheme is universally prestigious, but arguably not particularly relevant. Accenture weakest by far.

For markets, I'd suggest the BoE scheme. Excellent macro experience, and a prestigious scheme. After that, Deloitte/KPMG/Roths are again all useful for an accounting/corp. fin. foundation. Accenture again weak.

For consultancy, whilst Accenture is a consultancy, I suspect the experience won't be particularly transferable, and is likely to concentrated in tech/ops. Again, Deloitte/KPMG/Roths provide good foundation, and again BoE a good scheme.

Ultimately they'll all be invaluable experience and fantastic to have on your CV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PorcineAviation)
    It depends whether you're more interested in consulting/IB, and which area of IB.

For IBD, Rothschild is probably the best, and Deloitte/KPMG would be useful for accounting foundation. The BoE scheme is universally prestigious, but arguably not particularly relevant. Accenture weakest by far.

For markets, I'd suggest the BoE scheme. Excellent macro experience, and a prestigious scheme. After that, Deloitte/KPMG/Roths are again all useful for an accounting/corp. fin. foundation. Accenture again weak.

For consultancy, whilst Accenture is a consultancy, I suspect the experience won't be particularly transferable, and is likely to concentrated in tech/ops. Again, Deloitte/KPMG/Roths provide good foundation, and again BoE a good scheme.

Ultimately they'll all be invaluable experience and fantastic to have on your CV.
    Accenture scheme is good. They dont pay u the most/on par out of all the gap year schemes for doing nothing- u actually do real work for them.
    I'd say kpmg scheme is a bit crap. Deloittes definitely worth it as is rothschild.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Pretence)
    Accenture scheme is good. They dont pay u the most/on par out of all the gap year schemes for doing nothing- u actually do real work for them.
    I'd say kpmg scheme is a bit crap. Deloittes definitely worth it as is rothschild.
    Thanks for replying I was thinking of choosing Accenture if I get it as I heard you actually do a lot work and if you are really good, they offer summer internship as well. Would choosing Accenture (over the others) help me when applying to IBD spring weeks or will it be irrelevant work experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firefist_ace)
    Thanks for replying I was thinking of choosing Accenture if I get it as I heard you actually do a lot work and if you are really good, they offer summer internship as well. Would choosing Accenture (over the others) help me when applying to IBD spring weeks or will it be irrelevant work experience?
    If you want to do IBD, Accenture wouldn't be a good choice. The experience or skills you'll pick up won't really be transferable, and Accenture isn't a great name. And again, if you want to do IBD a potential summer internship is useless.

At this stage of applications/career, it's not about the work you do but how you sell it. Nobody in IBD is going to know if Accenture works you harder. They will know that Roths/Deloitte are a better name.

ReputationRep:
    Deloitte's is definitely the best of the Gap Year schemes in terms of pay - pretty competitive salary for your 8 months' work + £1.5k travelling bursary + £1.5k academic bursary every year at university + 4 weeks' guaranteed work per year at uni (another £2.5K). I can also personally vouch for the quality of the training that they provide, for the breadth of client exposure you get (esp. in london) and for how well regarded it is by IBs as pre-internship work experience - particularly in terms of understanding the fundamentals of balance sheet/p&l which are so crucial in IBD especially.

Having said that, Rothschild is also meant to be fantastic, esp. if your heart is already set on IB. Accenture are fairly budget, I really wouldn't rank them in the top 3 of your options.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do IBD, Accenture wouldn't be a good choice. The experience or skills you'll pick up won't really be transferable, and Accenture isn't a great name. And again, if you want to do IBD a potential summer internship is useless.

At this stage of applications/career, it's not about the work you do but how you sell it. Nobody in IBD is going to know if Accenture works you harder. They will know that Roths/Deloitte are a better name.
    agreed. rothschild if u definitely want 2 go IBD. Deloitte is the best scheme in terms of actual work and pay/benefits. but i think rothschild will give u a better step into IB compared to deloitte.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Does anyone know the salary, if any, of the Rothschild gap year scheme plus extras, if there are any?

I've checked the website etc and there's very little info + it seems outdated. :confused:

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    can anyone link me with the Accenture gap year scheme because i can't find it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.