Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

After GCSE results day - did your parents get you anything... watch

ReputationRep:
    My parents bought me a 15€ necklace for getting A*s in the two I took early, although I wasn't really expecting anything.

I don't think they'll get me me anything more than a little token like that this year no matter how well I do, they expect me to do well but they don't really see it as particularly amazing to get 10 A*s or whatever, all our family & family friends (who happen to be mostly both older and cleverer! v annoying) have already done it plenty of times! And none of them got anything much special for it, and my parents are just like "but isn't education its own reward?", if they hear about someone getting £100 for an A. I don't mind though, I guess I agree with them lol!

ReputationRep:
    I got all a*s and got nothing, by little brother got an xbox for getting over 60% in his year 10 exams. FML

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheans1992)
    I got all a*s and got nothing, by little brother got an xbox for getting over 60% in his year 10 exams. FML
    ditto :p:

ReputationRep:
    I got sweet **** all!

ReputationRep:
    I got an "oh well done"
    And then i went to work.
    My parents fail at the whole praising thing xD

ReputationRep:
    I was told I would recieve £110 per A* and £50 per A. I got 9A* and 3A's to my parents' surprise

ReputationRep:
    yep they got me 20 driving lessons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    A mars bar if I remember correctly :giggle: I do like mars bars...a £200 ring? Did you have to cure cancer for your biology exam or something?
    I didn't get anything eventually. Hey, some people on here got waay more. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChopinNocturne)
    I wasn't promised anything beforehand, I didn't need a motivation other than getting good grades to do the work. After the results my parents said I could ask for something I wanted but there's still not been anything so the offer's open until I think of something basically!!
    lol same as me

ReputationRep:
    I got £100. I got 10 A*s + 1 A and about an hour after I got my results my lovely mother was already trying to explain to people why I didn't get an A* in one of them :P But oh well, at the end of the day why should we be rewarded? We are doing well for ourselves not for the benefit of our parents. So £100 was pretty good

ReputationRep:
    General high spirits within the household for the whole day after recieving them! :cute:
    A bottle of champagne was opened too. Well, okay, Babycham, but still!

(Original post by azn-wonder91)
    Hahaha wheyyy *high 5* I didn't want you thinking I'm spoiled cuz I'm nottt (a) tbh the amount Asian parents tell their kids off...we deserve to be indulged! :p:
    You have such beautiful eyes! They're so big. My Asian friends are all so much cuter than me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribbits)
    General high spirits within the household for the whole day after recieving them! :cute:
    A bottle of champagne was opened too. Well, okay, Babycham, but still!

You have such beautiful eyes! They're so big. My Asian friends are all so much cuter than me.
    :blush: aw thank you so much :-D I had a noseyyy at your profile and you look gorgeous! I love your clothes

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a pissy mood ATM bc my dad uses me going on holiday recently as an excuse to not give me a present specifically for doing well. Even though my friend got less and I told him she's getting a moped but he says we have no money blah blah when we he's going away next month :/
    Mums giving me £50 yay.

ReputationRep:
    I think mine are going halfsies with me so I can buy a MacBook. My current laptop is knackered.

ReputationRep:
    My parents went on and on for weeks beforehand how getting rewards/being bribed for good results is wrong. The day after my results my mom took me shopping and bought me some new books, a jacket and paid to get my ears pierced because I 'deserved it'. I'm pretty sure that was a reward... I'd say 'hypocrite', but I got new books, so it's all good.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm getting a kitten. (:
    & Mum is giving me all the money I need for camping in October.

ReputationRep:
    I got a chinese takeaway and the £100 down payment for my iphone 4 :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Wow! People are getting pretty nice rewards!
    I've got the typical "OOOooo that's nice" and the "Why isn't this at least an A?" (I got a B in English with the rest as A*s)
    My dad then said that he'd get me a new phone - but he had previously said that he would anyway because my current phone is dead... although perhaps I can now get a more expensive phone because of my results? lol

ReputationRep:
    I got £50 from my dad and £50 from my nanna, which I was really happy with because I got it for doing well instead of being promised money/laptops/bikes/tvs before i'd even got my results...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.