Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have: 1998 1 litre suzuki alto

I want: 1.2 fiat 500

I have enough in savings to buy one, but have just insured my car, tax and mot due in May and I know my car will need some work to pass.

I want to buy the new car now ( so fed up of driving my old one) but would like to wait till they get to 3/4 years old to get a second hand one at the best value possible. Also I'm going to Africa for 2 months this year in August so summer is a bad time to buy as I won't be here to enjoy it.

Any suggestions as to when the best time to upgrade would be?

ReputationRep:
    How much work will your car need to get through the MOT, cost wise? It may be worth running it until you go away, it seems a bit pointless buying a car for it just to stand.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know what you mean. I have no idea how much it would cost (was about £120 last year) as it's starting behaving oddly recently too Like acting as if I have it in too high a gear one minute, juddering etc, then all of a sudden go back to normal, jerk forward and accelerate as normal.
    I just dont know if I can wait for 10 months to buy a new one

ReputationRep:
    Do you know a mate who knows his way around a car? He might be able to give you an idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smile88egc)
    I have: 1998 1 litre suzuki alto

I want: 1.2 fiat 500

I have enough in savings to buy one, but have just insured my car, tax and mot due in May and I know my car will need some work to pass.

I want to buy the new car now ( so fed up of driving my old one) but would like to wait till they get to 3/4 years old to get a second hand one at the best value possible. Also I'm going to Africa for 2 months this year in August so summer is a bad time to buy as I won't be here to enjoy it.

Any suggestions as to when the best time to upgrade would be?
    The Fiat 500 is a car that will retain residual value for a long time (like the Bimi has done). To buy brand new will also mean you being on the waiting list for a long time. Also: they don't take offers.

The car is bare and you do need the options.

Concluding, it's best to buy new, but you'll have a long wait for a new car in your spec. Get that Alto in for the scrappage scheme

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 17, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.