Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, I have a question about what I should put as my answer for the transformation questions; i.e. what is more likely to be on the mark scheme or just what looks better to put.

Say for example I was asked to describe the transformation of cos(x) onto 10 + cos(5x) . Is it better to say:
    1. Translation on the y axis by vector (0,10) , stretch in the x axis by scale factor 1/5 or
    2. Translation on the vertical axis by vector (0,10) , stretch in the horizontal axis by scale factor 1/5 ?

It sounds silly, but my friend and I always wonder which looks better to put, even though I don't think it matters. She even sometimes writes translation to the left/right or up/down, which I'm sure is also alright! As well as that, I think the examiner would know what you meant in any case, but just incase, I wonder what looks better for me to write.

Bit of a silly question *facepalm* , but hey I can be a bit of a silly person xD
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by virtual.photon)
    Hey all, I have a question about what I should put as my answer for the transformation questions; i.e. what is more likely to be on the mark scheme or just what looks better to put.

Say for example I was asked to describe the transformation of cos(x) onto 10 + cos(5x) . Is it better to say:
    1. Translation on the y axis by vector (0,10) , stretch in the x axis by scale factor 1/5 or
    2. Translation on the vertical axis by vector (0,10) , stretch in the horizontal axis by scale factor 1/5 ?

It sounds silly, but my friend and I always wonder which looks better to put, even though I don't think it matters to much. She even sometimes writes translation to the left/right or up/down, which I'm sure is also alright! As well as that, I think the examiner would know what you meant in any case, but just incase, I wonder what looks better for me to write.

Well, you could just put stretch in the horizontal x axis for further clarification if you like...It doesn't really matter....

ReputationRep:
    I'd say the first one. The piece of paper is horizontal so neither axis is vertical.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, true that ^^ . See I don't even think it's big a deal but I wondered anyway, just incase there is actually supposed to be a proper way to write it. The examiner would have to be a little silly not to realise they mean the same thing.

I'm blatantly too stupid to be doing maths D: . Thanks though!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.