Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am thinking of going to Kenya this summer with a charity at Uni. However my Dad is concerned with the safety of the country. The trip involves going to two places- Eldoret(near the Uganda border) and Uplands. We will be flying into Niarobi airport. Also if we want, we can travel independently after wards.

If anyone has any experience of this country it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Last summer I did some volunteer work in Mombasa. I was assured that I would be safe as long as I kept away from the 'no go areas' which I was given a map of. I can only tell you about my experiences in southern Kenya but I'm sure the charity can provide you with local information about safety.

There is a high crime rate in most parts of Kenya. I was pickpocketed twice during my stay and was threatened after a bus driver made me pay double because I'm a Mzungu (white man) and I refused. I got out of it by joking that I was black with a skin condition. Luckily, he had a sense of humour! I was staying with 5 other volunteers and none of them experienced any crime so maybe I was just unlucky.

I found that the best way to avoid trouble was to blend in with the culture, dress code etc. Mzungu's have a very bad reputation because you get a lot of old white men looking for sex with (often underage) local women. The fact is that in some rough parts of Kenya (which there are very few), you may be attacked just for being a foreigner.

This website will tell you the current situation in Kenya with advice. Are there any specific things that your Dad was worried about? I can't tell you that you won't experience crime because you might but you're not going to be held hostage if that's what he's worried about.

I really hope I haven't put you off because Kenya is an amazing country which I encourage everyone to visit. I'm sure the charity will not station you somewhere which is unsafe. If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    Last summer I did some volunteer work in Mombasa. I was assured that I would be safe as long as I kept away from the 'no go areas' which I was given a map of. I can only tell you about my experiences in southern Kenya but I'm sure the charity can provide you with local information about safety.

There is a high crime rate in most parts of Kenya. I was pickpocketed twice during my stay and was threatened after a bus driver made me pay double because I'm a Mzungu (white man) and I refused. I got out of it by joking that I was black with a skin condition. Luckily, he had a sense of humour! I was staying with 5 other volunteers and none of them experienced any crime so maybe I was just unlucky.

I found that the best way to avoid trouble was to blend in with the culture, dress code etc. Mzungu's have a very bad reputation because you get a lot of old white men looking for sex with (often underage) local women. The fact is that in some rough parts of Kenya (which there are very few), you may be attacked just for being a foreigner.

This website will tell you the current situation in Kenya with advice. Are there any specific things that your Dad was worried about? I can't tell you that you won't experience crime because you might but you're not going to be held hostage if that's what he's worried about.

I really hope I haven't put you off because Kenya is an amazing country which I encourage everyone to visit. I'm sure the charity will not station you somewhere which is unsafe. If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer.
    Hey, it is good to hear about your experience, thanks .

The link was useful thanks, they seem to say most trouble happens in Niarobi and the border between Somalia. Also Mombasa, but from your experience it doesn't seem too bad as long as precautions are taken.

I think my Dad is worried about the violent crime, also he has never set foot on Africa, so I suppose a lot of it is the fear of the unknown.

You haven't put me off going at all. I just don't want my Dad to be worried.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    kenya is a fantastic country. you have to visit it.

it has beautiful scenery and very freindly people.

Eldoret is only an hours drive form where i am. You will love the climate there

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.