Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have to cut my essay by about 200 words, but I don't know if the title and subtitles are included in the word count? I can't find the answer on the internet, and my final deadline is on monday :O I'm a last minute person

ReputationRep:
    subtitles? if you mean references then they are not included in the word count. I would include the title to be safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissCallieRose)
    Hi,
    I have to cut my essay by about 200 words, but I don't know if the title and subtitles are included in the word count? I can't find the answer on the internet, and my final deadline is on monday :O I'm a last minute person
    I was well under my word limit, but when going through our EE coordinator said that it's 4000 words, not including any references, footnotes (though the IBO have said that using excessive footnotes to get around the word limit is penalised), appendicies (for example, I included some computer code + software licenses in my appendicies, as it was for computer science and I was using some copyrighted source code, and they were not counted), titles and section titles (IE, sections that appear in your table of contents).

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much what chriscpritchard said, plus any labels on tables or diagrams not included either. Also, some supervisors said that 10% over the word limit is fine, but mine said exactly 4000 words.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't risk losing easy marks on the word limit. I didn't include the Title Page though (if it is included: ****)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ragnar_jonsson)
    I wouldn't risk losing easy marks on the word limit. I didn't include the Title Page though (if it is included: ****)
    Cover page, abstract, contents, summary/anything that's before your actual essay not counted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sirensinging)
    Cover page, abstract, contents, summary/anything that's before your actual essay not counted.
    I was sure the abstract was counted?

Edit: it seems not. The EE guide from the IBO says:

(Original post by IBO)
    The upper limit is 4,000 words for all extended essays. This upper limit includes the introduction, the
    body, the conclusion and any quotations, but does not include:
    · the abstract
    · acknowledgments
    · the contents page
    · maps, charts, diagrams, annotated illustrations and tables
    · equations, formulas and calculations
    · citations/references (whether parenthetical or numbered)
    · footnotes or endnotes
    · the bibliography
    · appendices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chriscpritchard)
    I was sure the abstract was counted?

Edit: it seems not. The EE guide from the IBO says:
    The abstract has a 300 word limit I believe.

Does anyone know what the penalty is for going over 4000? Let's say by 548 words for example? :o::o::o: I was under the impression that no points are deducted per se, but that the examiner is not obliged to read the final X number of words. Can anyone verify this?

If so, does anyone have any idea how accurate the IB's word scanning schmutz is? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iapetus)
    The abstract has a 300 word limit I believe.

Does anyone know what the penalty is for going over 4000? Let's say by 548 words for example? :o::o::o: I was under the impression that no points are deducted per se, but that the examiner is not obliged to read the final X number of words. Can anyone verify this?

If so, does anyone have any idea how accurate the IB's word scanning schmutz is? :p:
    You lose the marks and the examiner isn't supposed to go beyond the 4000 limit. It has to be said, however, that they don't scan every page and don't count the words. In case the examiner believes that the essay is over the word limit he would then scan and count the words and you would lose the marks for the section. I believe that their software is pretty efficient. My IBcoordinator told me all that
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andreavivan)
    You lose the marks and the examiner isn't supposed to go beyond the 4000 limit. It has to be said, however, that they don't scan every page and don't count the words. In case the examiner believes that the essay is over the word limit he would then scan and count the words and you would lose the marks for the section. I believe that their software is pretty efficient. My IBcoordinator told me all that
    Good luck
    Right, well thanks. I guess I'm buggered then as my whole conclusion is outside the word limit!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! I didn't think I could shorten mine (twice), but I did! Just think for each part of the essay, "Do I really need this for my thesis? If everything is "necessary," then try to eliminate/shorten the weakest part of the essay. If that's not enough, try to shorten the areas where you show the least amount of analysis/personal response. And erase grand generalizations of the essay (e.g. the essay will discuss the animal imagery...), and overstating things, within the essay.

Again, good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iapetus)
    Right, well thanks. I guess I'm buggered then as my whole conclusion is outside the word limit!
    What is the topic of your dissertation? Usually when they are so long it isnt hard to cut 300 words or so. You should keep it convincing but cut the not so useful parts, no?

ReputationRep:
    Are titles like: Introduction, Procedure, Conclusion, Evaluation

included in the word limit? Thanks!
    WebRep

Overall rating

This site has no rating
    (not enough votes)

ReputationRep:
    Intro is, for sure, included in the word count?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.